Connecting the engine?

Post here all non technical related topics about Formula One. This includes race results, discussions, testing analysis etc. TV coverage and other personal questions should be in Off topic chat.
BB2921
BB2921

Connecting the engine?

I kinda have a rookie question, how do they connect the engine to the rest of the car? Do they bolt the engine to the back of monocoque or do they like bolt the engine to a carbon fiber floor like thing that connects the monocoque and the engine?

Moose
Moose

Re: Connecting the engine?

BB2921 wrote:I kinda have a rookie question, how do they connect the engine to the rest of the car? Do they bolt the engine to the back of monocoque or do they like bolt the engine to a carbon fiber floor like thing that connects the monocoque and the engine?
It's bolted to the back of the carbon fibre part of the chassis (and in fact forms part of the chassis, along with the gearbox). The floor is just about the last part of the car to be attached - it's "easy" access to the components under the car.

Richard
Richard

Have a look at this thread, there's 13 pages of discussion about a set of bolts!

:arrow: http://www.f1technical.net/forum/viewto ... f=4&t=9110

BB2921
BB2921

Okay so I looked through that thread and it helped a lot but I have another question about a picture I saw in the thread. I highlighted the four bolts that should connect the engine, but they appear that they go through the fuel cell? Do they have to tighten the bolts through the fuel cell then close off the fuel tank or do they have like a hatch so that they can reach the bolts so that they can change engine and what not.

-Felix-
-Felix-

Those are studs embedded in the Monocoque Structure. The engine is pushed on and then secured with nuts onto the studs.