Return Of The Mighty V-10?

Post here all non technical related topics about Formula One. This includes race results, discussions, testing analysis etc. TV coverage and other personal questions should be in Off topic chat.
Andres125sx

Re: Return Of The Mighty V-10?

adrianjordan wrote:Could you include BBC viewing figures etc in that graph too?

From talking to fans I know, they've found the BBC highlights to be excellent so haven't bothered with Sky F1 any more...
No I can´t, that´s just a graph I found and posted on other thread some weeks ago, and considered relevant for this discussion too.

Anyway it will look very similar, this is what is happening all around the world, you should take India, Singapure or some other non traditional F1 country with a new F1 GP to see a graph with increasing audience. The rest is falling down like a brick into the water

Take into consideration this is from italy, and the graph does start exactly the very best seassons for Ferrari ever, with Schumacher domination. That didn´t avoid the graph to go down

IMHO this shows how lost F1 people in charge is, they don´t have any idea about how to solve the real problem, they´re groping in the dark for more than a decade now, with no results #-o

Moose

The BBC numbers look nothing at all like the Italian numbers.

As you can see, the BBC has seen a general upward trend in recent years, after a trough when Schumacher dominated the sport.

Interestingly, The BBC still averages between 6 and 7 times more viewers than Sky.

Based on this I'd argue that the Italian figures are more to do with the decline of Ferrari's fortunes than anything else.

lebesset

don't know anyone who watches on sky any more , I don't think it is anything to do with the commentators , more about time they are willing to watch
talking to the younger brigade the really keen scan the internet to keep up , then watch qually live and the BBC highlights ; other fish to fry I suppose ; practise is during the working week normally , a definite no no
other , casual, viewers just watch Q3 and highlights !

has nobody noticed that young people hardly know what TV is any more ??? mobile phones and tablets seem to be order of the day , and you aren't going to notice the difference between a 2013 engine note and 2014 on those , are you !

even though old school I no longer watch the preliminaries even if I am somewhere to watch live , maybe a bit of the gridwalk but normally from the run to the grid onwards

something that nobody seems to mention is that there are so many races that it is difficult for anyone except the real enthusiast to maintain some enthusiasm , and that's not enough to satisfy bernie
to the optimist a glass is half full ; to the pessimist a glass is half empty ; to the F1 engineer the glass is twice as big as it needs to be

Andres125sx

First of all, on a country where there´s more than a channel broadcasting F1 the numbers of a single channel are not representative of F1 audience, only about that channel audience.
Moose wrote:Based on this I'd argue that the Italian figures are more to do with the decline of Ferrari's fortunes than anything else.
Sorry but that´s nosense since the drop in audience numbers began when Ferrari was on its best moment ever. When Ferraris´domination finished the drop was higher, but then next seasson, let say the confirmation of Ferrari´s debacle when Alonso won his 2nd tittle the audience increased, so there´s no relation between audience and Ferrari´s fortunes

But there´s a direct relationship between any team domination and audience numbers, or you think it´s a coincidence the only seassons increasing the audience are 2006, 2010 and 2012? More or less the only seasson the champion was not decided till last race in recent history. OTOH the biggest drop in audience numbers have been 2005 (we could argue a young driver like Alonso beating Schumacher was not too atractive), 2009, 2011, 2013 and 2014, plus the 4 seassons Ferrari dominated the drop was not huge but constant.

I´m the only one noticing a pattern?

Moose

Andres125sx wrote:First of all, on a country where there´s more than a channel broadcasting F1 the numbers of a single channel are not representative of F1 audience, only about that channel audience.
Moose wrote:Based on this I'd argue that the Italian figures are more to do with the decline of Ferrari's fortunes than anything else.
Sorry but that´s nosense since the drop in audience numbers began when Ferrari was on its best moment ever. When Ferraris´domination finished the drop was higher, but then next seasson, let say the confirmation of Ferrari´s debacle when Alonso won his 2nd tittle the audience increased, so there´s no relation between audience and Ferrari´s fortunes

But there´s a direct relationship between any team domination and audience numbers, or you think it´s a coincidence the only seassons increasing the audience are 2006, 2010 and 2012? More or less the only seasson the champion was not decided till last race in recent history. OTOH the biggest drop in audience numbers have been 2005 (we could argue a young driver like Alonso beating Schumacher was not too atractive), 2009, 2011, 2013 and 2014, plus the 4 seassons Ferrari dominated the drop was not huge but constant.

So how do you explain the British data? Are we to believe that the British viewership is closely tied to the success of Lewis Hamilton, while the Italian viewership is not closely tied to the success of Ferrari?

As far as I see, both of these graphs show roughly the success or failure of national drivers/teams.

nacho

1.6 liter V10 with MGU-K and MGU-H + more fuel + unlimited revs. Would sound nice.

Moose

nacho wrote:1.6 liter V10 with MGU-K and MGU-H + more fuel + unlimited revs. Would sound nice.
How would MGU-H on a NA engine work? Also, 1.6l is likely to be too small for a V10, that's cylinders that are 66% smaller (by volume) than the current ones.

Harsha

nacho wrote:1.6 liter V10 with MGU-K and MGU-H + more fuel + unlimited revs. Would sound nice.
I prefer 1.6 Liter V6 with a bit more fuel flow limit and fuel tank with a bit higher revs enough for sound and will be as good as V10's

Andres125sx

Moose wrote:
Andres125sx wrote:First of all, on a country where there´s more than a channel broadcasting F1 the numbers of a single channel are not representative of F1 audience, only about that channel audience.

So how do you explain the British data?
As I said and you´ve quoted yourself....
How do you know that audience is not coming from Sky and the overall numbers are decreasing?

But it really doesn´t matter, the success of an british driver on a british team easily explain that increase, but we are talking about F1 and current engines here, so actually this is irrelevant.
Moose wrote: while the Italian viewership is not closely tied to the success of Ferrari?

As far as I see, both of these graphs show roughly the success or failure of national drivers/teams.
So you don`t see the Italian graph going down from 2000 to 2004? Really??

Anycase the graph you posted prove me right, there was an increase this seasson, so V6 engines are not the problem wich is my point :wink:

The graph I posted was suppossed to show how the decreasing audience is not new for this seasson due to V6 engines, but a trend for more than a decade now. To me it´s an unquestionable proof about V6 engines are not the problem, the problem is older, and the graph you posted also show it, it was falling from 2000, and only Hamilton appearance changed the trend

I´m trying to say Bernie idea about coming back to v10 is absurd and misses the root of the problem, like he´s been doing for the last decade at least. IMHO it´s sad watching someone who did that much for this sport saying so much BS lately. He should be retired and enjoy his billionaire account

nacho

Moose wrote:
How would MGU-H on a NA engine work? Also, 1.6l is likely to be too small for a V10, that's cylinders that are 66% smaller (by volume) than the current ones.
Let's take off the exhaust side from turbo, that's what I meant.

Moose

nacho wrote:
Moose wrote:
Let's take off the exhaust side from turbo, that's what I meant.
So what's going to spin the compressor and the MGU-H then?

ParkerArt

Moose wrote: So what's going to spin the compressor and the MGU-H then?
Centrifugal supercharger in the V between the valvetrain?
I have no idea, just trying to think of something. Would need a slipper clutch between the supercharger and the MGU-H.

nacho

Electric motor like now. Exhaust energy out the pipe for noise.

Moose

nacho wrote:
Electric motor like now. Exhaust energy out the pipe for noise.
So you're saying they would use an electric motor to spin up an electric generator so that they can then use that generated energy to spin up an electric motor?

I don't think you understand how the MGU-H gets its energy just now - it's not spun up by an electric motor, it's spun up by the turbo charger - hence MGU-H, it's recovering heat out of the exhaust to generate electricity.

nacho

No not the generator but the compressor, the energy would be harvested only from braking and used as KERS or forced induction. Introduce higher revs and fuel flow and you get the lost power back, retain hybrid for marketing and make a lot of attractive noise.