The greatest ever racing engineers thread

Post here all non technical related topics about Formula One. This includes race results, discussions, testing analysis etc. TV coverage and other personal questions should be in Off topic chat.
CevertF1

Re: The greatest ever racing engineers thread

Lt_Boards wrote:Sir Jack Brabham..... Game set match!
This^^

As for Colin Chapman, no one can deny his pure talent and genius but my admiration for him is always tempered by his utterly cruel disregard for his drivers lives.

Manoah2u

CevertF1 wrote:
This^^

As for Colin Chapman, no one can deny his pure talent and genius but my admiration for him is always tempered by his utterly cruel disregard for his drivers lives.
Please explain
"Explain the ending to F1 in football terms"
"Hamilton was beating Verstappen 7-0, then the ref decided F%$& rules, next goal wins
while also sending off 4 Hamilton players to make it more interesting"

-Felix-

Sounds like you're speaking of Enzo, but not of Colin..

Lorenzo_Bandini

-Felix- wrote:Sounds like you're speaking of Enzo, but not of Colin..
please explain

CevertF1

Manoah2u wrote:
CevertF1 wrote:
This^^

Please explain
Well he was always for making them as light and fragile as possible to gain more speed.

I'm not for one second saying Chapman wanted to harm his drivers but their safety didn't seem to be very high on his list imo. As you can tell by the letter poor Jochen wrote a few months before his death.

Manoah2u

CevertF1 wrote:

Well he was always for making them as light and fragile as possible to gain more speed.

I'm not for one second saying Chapman wanted to harm his drivers but their safety didn't seem to be very high on his list imo. As you can tell by the letter poor Jochen wrote a few months before his death.

+2 i just did some research after some chatting with a fellow board member.
Chapman's notebook from 1975, recently on display at the Frankfurt Motor Show, sheds light on a man for whom failure was simply not an option. With a chilling brevity Chapman notes, "A racing car has only one objective: to win motor races. If it does not, it is nothing but a waste of time and money. It does not matter how safe it is, if it does not consistently win it is nothing."
These words were written only a few years after Chapman's great friend and champion driver Jim Clark died [ in a lotus F2 car] due to what many think was a technical fault with his car. Clark's successor, Jochen Rindt, wrote to Chapman saying his Lotus would still be competitive if a few pounds were added to make it stronger. This plea wasn't heeded and, soon after, Rindt shared Clark's tragic fate.

more out of his notebook

"what do we have to do to make it win?

with absolutely no compromise;

as for how expensive it is, how simple, how safe, & how easy to maintain - NONE of these aspects must detract one iota from winning.

“Good enough” is just NOT good enough to win and keep winning"
Jochen rindt wrote the following letter to Colin before his death:
"Honestly your cars are so quick that we would still be competitive with a few extra pounds used to make the weakest parts stronger […] I can only drive a car in which I have some confidence, and I feel the point of no confidence is quite near."
Keith Botsford once made a decent statement on Colin's builduing 'language' :
“Any damn fool can build a bridge that won’t fall down. But it takes a man of much greater skill, to build a bridge that JUST won’t fall down”
emphasis on just.

there is a story back in long Beach '81, two journalists walking through the pitlane, one of them puytting his thumb on the nose of a Lotus, push gently but the bodywork inmediately showed where the man had put his thumb down.

Then there's Rindt who volunteerded to loose two kg's if the front axles of the 72 were strengthened for it in return.

Stewarts comments that he would feel less uncertain about a Lotus if it wasn't built by Chapman too but only designed by him.....
"Explain the ending to F1 in football terms"
"Hamilton was beating Verstappen 7-0, then the ref decided F%$& rules, next goal wins
while also sending off 4 Hamilton players to make it more interesting"

WaikeCU

Dunno where to put this, so here it is... We have reached phase II of the restriction of radio messages. These are the prohibited messages regarding:

- The racing line
- Contact with the kerbs
- Specific settings regarding which turn it is
- Sector and laptimes comparison with other drivers
- Comparing speed in turns with other drivers
- Comparing gear ratios with other drivers
- General speaking about gear selection
- Comparing braking with other drivers
- Comparing braking generally
- The stability of the car under braking
- Comparing the way of applying the throttle with other drivers
- Applying the throttle generally
- Comparing the use of DRS with other drivers
- The use of every button on the steering wheel to overtake
- Driving technique generally speaking

I always liked the radio traffic between the teams. Now that's another excitement they take away from the viewers.

J.A.W.

Belatedly heard that Frank Matich, another Aussie racing engineer* great - died last week aged 80, after a long illness.
Frank was a Frank by name, frank by nature, no-bullshit through & through bloke, but did it his way, & well. R.I.P...

* Racer/Engineer.
"Well, we knocked the bastard off!"

Ed Hilary on being 1st to top Mt Everest,
(& 1st to do a surface traverse across Antarctica,
in good Kiwi style - riding a Massey Ferguson farm
tractor - with a few extemporised mod's to hack the task).

PlatinumZealot

GitanesBlondes wrote:Gerard Ducarouge

http://poeticsofspeed.files.wordpress.c ... .jpg?w=774
Looks like a Badass.

Today's engineering can't hold a candle to this guy! Nerds!
🖐️✌️☝️👀👌✍️🐎🏆🙏