Okay Bernie really has to go~

Post here all non technical related topics about Formula One. This includes race results, discussions, testing analysis etc. TV coverage and other personal questions should be in Off topic chat.
seinfeld

Okay Bernie really has to go~

So after everyone complaining about the engines in the F1 paddock, the price etc. They are thinking about scraping the engine, making a new one , and making it more powerful!
They do realize that will cost EVEN MORE MONEY!! I really cant believe smart people run Formula 1. it's run by a hamster that is left in a maze. and if he makes it to the end and walks through out the YES maze, its a yes answer,
and a no etc.

I really think thats how F1 is run. the new V6 is fine. it just needs time to mature, you dump the waste gate. relax the fuel flow limit. give them 10 engines and gearboxes per season, that way, they do 2 races each, and are turned on MAX the whole time. very simple!

Hail22

Re: Okay Bernie really has to go~

10 engines? That's extremely unsustainable expenditure right there, Lotus and Sauber have already stated they're struggling to cover the costs of the new units. Bumping up to 10 (although teams would be unlikely to use that many) would almost certainly fold from Formula 1.
If someone said to me that you can have three wishes, my first would have been to get into racing, my second to be in Formula 1, my third to drive for Ferrari.

Gilles Villeneuve

Manoah2u

Despite the point being i really don't see why the V6T should go and why there is so much complains about this engine - except the given that it hasn't got that 'load grunt' like previous engines have had.

Still, the V6T engines are very expensive.

Then again, I think in due time, they'll become cheaper. And when they become more reliable, then they either match or perhaps even become cheaper then a full v8 powerplant, especially combined to the hybrid power unit.

The difficulty about today's V6 turbo engines are that they need to run smoothly paired with energy harvesting and electro motors, meanwhile running a (split) turbo. All along only 4 can be used during a season, and they are restricted in fuel consumption and revs. It'll cost a whole lot of time, research and effort to finally produce an engine that is balanced in all these fields. This costs money. It costs even more money becuase the 'big' dogs are doing it. Ferrari, Mercedes, Renault. All brands that are reputable and hold 'value', logically resulting in higher costs. 'Prestige' in an extreme word.

Honda is the next manufacturer jumping in - but Honda isn't like the cheaper manufacturer around the block, either.

I feel like the price tag on engines would be much cheaper if they came from - god forbid - Hyundai. or Veauxhall (ECOTEC V6T-H).

Meanwhile, I wouldn't read too much into Bernie's words. He's worried or startled by some promotors that are unsatisfied, and he wants a solution, one way or another. He'll use it to cook up a different solution that will be beneficial to both Bernie and the promotors, probably not as great for the teams though.
"Explain the ending to F1 in football terms"
"Hamilton was beating Verstappen 7-0, then the ref decided F%$& rules, next goal wins
while also sending off 4 Hamilton players to make it more interesting"

tuj
tuj

The engine problem would be easily solved by removing ERS and the fuel flow limit. Then we can return to high-rev'ing units and spare the expensive batteries and electronic motors/generators. Keep the turbo and the current displacement and architecture, but let them rev as high as they dare and use as much fuel as they want to carry around the track. The limit on number of engines per year I think actually makes each unit more expensive, as there needs to be much more engineering to keep the engine viable and sealed as opposed to just tearing it down after a race and rebuilding what needs rebuilding.

Manoah2u

tuj wrote:The engine problem would be easily solved by removing ERS and the fuel flow limit. Then we can return to high-rev'ing units and spare the expensive batteries and electronic motors/generators. Keep the turbo and the current displacement and architecture, but let them rev as high as they dare and use as much fuel as they want to carry around the track. The limit on number of engines per year I think actually makes each unit more expensive, as there needs to be much more engineering to keep the engine viable and sealed as opposed to just tearing it down after a race and rebuilding what needs rebuilding.
But the ERS and amount of permitted engines to be used is what makes it interesting, instead of just blindly going on in an old formulae that is starting to get outdated. V12 engines have proved themselves. V10 engines have proved themselves, v8 engines have proved themselves. There's only so much 'engineering' to be performed, at a certain point, you reach the general 'end' of improvement and it just becomes 'detailing'.

The future of the automobile industry isn't high-revving n/a engines (anymore). It's about downsizing and using alternative energy resources. Hybrid is the way to go, and F1 can't stay behind.

Therefore, the ERS and Turbo combo is a working combo. The fuel flow limit, imho, is just a bit too much of it. You already have the reliability, the development freeze, and much more to account for. the Fuel restriction is, despite it's somewhat understandable in a 'green' image, what hurts the new engine formula.
"Hamilton was beating Verstappen 7-0, then the ref decided F%$& rules, next goal wins

tuj
tuj

While I agree with you that ERS is the future, the problem is that introducing it, along with a new engine formula all at once was a major problem.

I would prefer a scheme that makes ERS optional and unlimited if you use it; if you can swing the extra weight and make it work, then do it! Believe me, I love the technology of the current engines (when they are working...), and I think it's road relevance is getting slightly better, but AFAIK the engines still have pneumatic valvetrains which you certainly won't see on a production car. Nor a split turbo. Nor a structural engine block....etc...
Last edited by tuj on 23 Dec 2014, 00:51, edited 1 time in total.

ojlopez

Turbo and ERS is the way to go. But without fuel flow limit the things would get much more interesting. And with more PU available per season, teams can run them much harder and the engines can be less robust, which could mean a little cheaper.

And lets face it, Bernie has lost its way. So in the name of the sport, he has to go.

strad

But the ERS and amount of permitted engines to be used is what makes it interesting
How anyone can say that baffles me.
To achieve anything, you must be prepared to dabble on the boundary of disaster.”
Sir Stirling Moss

Nickel

strad wrote:
But the ERS and amount of permitted engines to be used is what makes it interesting
How anyone can say that baffles me.
How anyone can ignore the interest of modern technology baffles me. If F1 were to drop or reduce ers, I'd consider no longer watching.

Andres125sx

This thread may derail to another "new engines are the way to go or a big mistake" thread, but since the title is about BE, I think what we should discuss here is, since F1 has chosen this route, should BE stop saying so much bs and start promoting his product?

Who cares if this is the way to go or not? This is the route they chose, so IMHO he should be promoting even if he disagree, instead of complaining and feeding the haters. F1 has too many problems to add one of its main faces as another hater, BE should be promoting F1 instead of complaining about it. And this is just another point to add to the list of reasons because BE should have retired some time ago.

giantfan10

seinfeld wrote:So after everyone complaining about the engines in the F1 paddock, the price etc. They are thinking about scraping the engine, making a new one , and making it more powerful!
They do realize that will cost EVEN MORE MONEY!! I really cant believe smart people run Formula 1. it's run by a hamster that is left in a maze. and if he makes it to the end and walks through out the YES maze, its a yes answer,
and a no etc.

I really think thats how F1 is run. the new V6 is fine. it just needs time to mature, you dump the waste gate. relax the fuel flow limit. give them 10 engines and gearboxes per season, that way, they do 2 races each, and are turned on MAX the whole time. very simple!
last time i checked the strategy group agreed to keep the v6 for 2016 and onward and want it bumped up to 1000 hp...they also said doing away with the fuel flow limit is looking like the best option to get to 1000 hp
they also want them louder
in addition they are thinking about standardising certain parts of the PU to make it cheaper for example the battery and other non performance parts....the goal is 10 million per engine 20+ is the current cost
where exactly did u come up with this scrapping the current engine from???

tuj
tuj

where exactly did u come up with this scrapping the current engine from???
From Bernie's 'face-hole'. http://www.foxsports.com/motor/story/ec ... -18-121214

Manoah2u

giantfan10 wrote: where exactly did u come up with this scrapping the current engine from???
google

SectorOne

The old man doesn´t even care anymore, he´ll just whip out a comment that´s so far out there just to see what sort of reaction he can get.

Edit2: Had to post this one as well, never seen it before, if this isn´t trolling i don´t know what is.

"If the only thing keeping a person decent is the expectation of divine reward, then brother that person is a piece of sh*t"

strad

How anyone can ignore the interest of modern technology baffles me. If F1 were to drop or reduce ers, I'd consider no longer watching.
There is no crossover and no use for this package on road cars so that doesn't fly. AND if having proper racing would send you to another sport then I don't consider you much of a racing fan because what we have now is not F1 racing.
I would like F1 to go back to being the pinnacle of racing not some technological Mobile Gas economy runs with a bunch of phony BS.
To achieve anything, you must be prepared to dabble on the boundary of disaster.”
Sir Stirling Moss