COTA in Trouble?

Post here all non technical related topics about Formula One. This includes race results, discussions, testing analysis etc. TV coverage and other personal questions should be in Off topic chat.
NathanOlder

Re: COTA in Trouble?

Jersey Tom wrote:
Jonnycraig wrote:I appreciate that it is pie in the sky, but America has two high profile national series' in Indycar & NASCAR that should be using COTA.
I think it would be great if NASCAR had a 3rd road course race in the season. But not at COTA. I don't know what it is about it, but just doesn't seem that interesting when watching onboards. As far as new-ish tracks in the US go, I think Barber has more character and is more interesting.

To me, anything from Road America, Road Atlanta, Sears Point, Watkins Glen, VIR, Mid Ohio are more interesting race tracks than COTA for any race series. I doubt any of those can support the infrastructure for F1 though without substantial upgrade.

Yourvsaying you'd keep Sonoma ovr COTA
GoLandoGo
Lewis v2.0
King George has arrived.

New found love for GT racing with Assetto Corsa Competizione on PS5 & PC

hairy_scotsman
hairy_scotsman

countersteer wrote:
Jonnycraig wrote:Ultimately the track needs to be utilised far more than it is, Silverstone for example has F1, Formula series open wheelers, Prototypes, Touring Cars, Sports Cars, Bikes, Sidecars as well as experience days, club days etc. etc.
I agree with you completely. But, from what I've read, they've ended track days for the Porsche club, etc.. I recall one case where they tried to cancel an event that had already been contracted and planned.
Makes no sense to me...
Yep. That happened. Really chapped some hides raw.
Follow me on twitter @Austin_F1 ...

Jersey Tom
Jersey Tom

NathanOlder wrote:Yourvsaying you'd keep Sonoma ovr COTA
Absolutely.
Grip is a four letter word. All opinions are my own and not those of current or previous employers.

Richard
Richard

Maybe they are trying to mimic Bernie's negotiation over a barrel tactics. However Bernie's taken 30 years to get the people over the barrel.
Bernie - I've decided its about time we renegotiated our deal.
Supplier - The existing contract is still valid.
Bernie - You might want to think about it. It would be to your advantage to renegotiate. You wouldn't want to do anything silly would you?
Supplier realises their dependence on Bernie and remembers the organisations previously sacrificed on Bernie's altar - What terms do you want?
COTA - I've decided its about time we renegotiated our deal.
Supplier - The existing contract is still valid.
COTA - You might want to think about it. It would be to your advantage to renegotiate. You don't want to do anything silly would you?
Supplier - Heck, you're the new kid, I barely know who you are. I'll not miss you. Bye.

DaveKillens
DaveKillens

To me, COTA reflects all the good and bad in Formula One. Technically, the track layout is genius (IMO), and is definitely one of the most challenging tracks to race on. But it lacks any "character", is soul-less, and more of amusement park than a race track for enthusiasts.

Going through the esses at COTA has to be a huge rush for any Formula One driver, but it is not as emotionally satisfying as thundering between the trees at Monza or Road America. And as a spectator, I'd rather be sitting at Canada Corner than up in the tower at COTA. Both are incredible vantage points, but as I previously stated, one is soul-less while the other is the complete opposite.

But COTA has always been in some kind of trouble, the track owners are missing some ingredient in their business acumen. They have run afoul of someone or some organization before the ground was broken, and continue to do so.

Just like Formula One.

edit: You posted while I was still composing, but we seem to agree on some points Richard.
Racing should be decided on the track, not the court room.

ParkerArt
ParkerArt

hairy_scotsman wrote:
countersteer wrote:
Jonnycraig wrote:Ultimately the track needs to be utilised far more than it is, Silverstone for example has F1, Formula series open wheelers, Prototypes, Touring Cars, Sports Cars, Bikes, Sidecars as well as experience days, club days etc. etc.
I agree with you completely. But, from what I've read, they've ended track days for the Porsche club, etc.. I recall one case where they tried to cancel an event that had already been contracted and planned.
Makes no sense to me...
Yep. That happened. Really chapped some hides raw.
Yeah, from what I heard and seen, the idea of COTA being a track that could realistically anyone could afford to go to for a track day (since that was what the owners said when they were trying to get public funding) sort of vanished so the track could be ultra exclusive to the mega wealthy Texas oil barons.

First I heard that COTA tried to pull that nonsense with the Porsche Club though.

Jersey Tom
Jersey Tom

DaveKillens wrote:To me, COTA reflects all the good and bad in Formula One. Technically, the track layout is genius (IMO), and is definitely one of the most challenging tracks to race on. But it lacks any "character", is soul-less, and more of amusement park than a race track for enthusiasts.

Going through the esses at COTA has to be a huge rush for any Formula One driver, but it is not as emotionally satisfying as thundering between the trees at Monza or Road America. And as a spectator, I'd rather be sitting at Canada Corner than up in the tower at COTA. Both are incredible vantage points, but as I previously stated, one is soul-less while the other is the complete opposite.
Absolutely in agreement... this is basically what I was trying to get at earlier.
Grip is a four letter word. All opinions are my own and not those of current or previous employers.

dren

I've been to two F1 races at the COTA. I thought it was great from a spectator perspective.
Honda!

Cold Fussion
Cold Fussion

Jersey Tom wrote:
Jonnycraig wrote: To me, anything from Road America, Road Atlanta, Sears Point, Watkins Glen, VIR, Mid Ohio are more interesting race tracks than COTA for any race series. I doubt any of those can support the infrastructure for F1 though without substantial upgrade.
Add Sebring to the list as well. It's such a shame WEC now goes to COTA in the process we lost Sebring and Road Atlanta.