F1 Sponsorship - follow the money!

Post here all non technical related topics about Formula One. This includes race results, discussions, testing analysis etc. TV coverage and other personal questions should be in Off topic chat.
GitanesBlondes

Re: F1 Sponsorship - follow the money!

strad wrote:Haas is a moron?
Once again I have to ask where is your successful business?
Show me your huge success and fortune that stems from your superior intelligence. Which by the way you have not shown here.
Yep, Haas is a moron, and when he isn't involved in F1 after a few years, I'll expect you to make post stating how correct I was.
"I don't want to make friends with anybody. I don't give a sh*t for fame. I just want to win." -Nelson Piquet

strad

:? Win or lose how does it make him a moron. Lots of rich guys waste their money far stupider things than racing or F1. :lol:
To achieve anything, you must be prepared to dabble on the boundary of disaster.”
Sir Stirling Moss

GitanesBlondes

strad wrote::? Win or lose how does it make him a moron. Lots of rich guys waste their money far stupider things than racing or F1. :lol:
There was an interview with Walter Wolf recently, and he was talking about when he had his team. He said he never made a dime from it all. Not that he was around terribly long obviously, but he said every year it was millions lost.

Maybe the expectation of turning a profit in a sport that isn't geared towards it is the wrong approach? Breaking even might be the best one can do?
"I don't want to make friends with anybody. I don't give a sh*t for fame. I just want to win." -Nelson Piquet

strad

GB;
When did Haas say he intended to show a profit?
Anyone involved in racing is aware of the "how do you make a small fortune in racing" joke.
I know from personal experience that breaking even is doing well in racing.
Most series pay enough to keep you going to the next race or the next season and little more.
To achieve anything, you must be prepared to dabble on the boundary of disaster.”
Sir Stirling Moss

Richard
Richard

Indeed, and the lifecyle for most F1 teams is 4 years or so. They come in, have their fun, and leave once they've scratched the itch that made them join. They are only there to enjoy themselves on their own terms. They're entitled to burn their money as they wish. Then once that's done they move onto the next thing for the overachieving personalities.

Alexgtt
Alexgtt

GitanesBlondes wrote:
strad wrote::? Win or lose how does it make him a moron. Lots of rich guys waste their money far stupider things than racing or F1. :lol:
There was an interview with Walter Wolf recently, and he was talking about when he had his team. He said he never made a dime from it all. Not that he was around terribly long obviously, but he said every year it was millions lost.

Maybe the expectation of turning a profit in a sport that isn't geared towards it is the wrong approach? Breaking even might be the best one can do?
Very different to the Haas project. Wolf was more like Hesketh, not wanting sponsorship and doing it for fun. Wolf F1 was born from the ashes of Hesketh. Even he said that's not viable any longer. In fact that style of F1 died with the Cosworth/Ford DFV. His few million losses for fun would now be 100's of millions.

At least Haas has his own massive business to promote. Most GP teams/suppliers will have his products in-house. And, as the topic title says, financial backers/sponorship.

FW17

Miguel wrote:
jagunx51 wrote: Image
So completely OT, but it is sad to compare the amount of sponsorship in a 2006 backmaker with Marussia last year. Or Sauber. Or heck, McLaren itself!

wesley123
wesley123

None of those sponsors actually paid much for their brand of the car. JVC, Lost Boys, Garcia and a few others were all Christian Albers' sponsors.

The Etihad & Aldar title sponsorship for Spyker in 2007 was reported to only have been 8 million dollars each. That's pretty much nothing.
"Bite my shiny metal ass" - Bender

bill shoe
bill shoe

wesley123 wrote:None of those sponsors actually paid much for their brand of the car. JVC, Lost Boys, Garcia and a few others were all Christian Albers' sponsors.

The Etihad & Aldar title sponsorship for Spyker in 2007 was reported to only have been 8 million dollars each. That's pretty much nothing.
But I think the contrast in car logos from then until now is still quite significant. The lack of logos now shows that the pay-drivers' personal-sponsors/check-writers/whatever no longer care about getting their name on the car. 8 years ago they did care. This is a negative trend.

A lack of on-car sponsorship from whatever source (if that makes sense) shows that F1 is not a useful marketing or advertising environment anymore.

FW17

Venues and sponsorship

January 23, 2015 by Joe Saward

Bernie Ecclestone is stirring the pot again in relation to Germany, saying first that Hockenheim would get the race and then it seems being told that the track does not want it. So now the story is that there may not be a German GP. Never mind the history, never mind the economic muscle of the nation, never mind the TV stations, never mind the car industry, if the Germans will not pay, F1 will turn away and follow the yellow brick road to any old Eldorado. And if there is no Eldorado then one must use Nebulous Venue 1 or Nebulous Venue 2 instead. A few pulled strings and a puppet will leap into life and write stories of Nebulous Venue and soon it will be painted large across the trollosphere and people will pick it up and think it is not total tosh when in truth it is just a mirage in the F1 desert.

It would be so much better for F1 to be going to places that are strategically important rather than tinsel towns where the pipelines are filled with oil. Yes, Mexico is a good idea, but Azerbaijan is not. It is not good for the F1 image to be associating itself with places where international monitors say corruption is endemic and press freedom scandalous. How can it be a good idea when we have lived through the court soap operas of recent years? Surely, F1 needs to look for places that are sparkly and clean even if the pile of money is not as large. Surely it is best to polish the sport in order to help it grow? Yes, perhaps Smellyville pays better than Cleanville, but easy money is not always the best way to go.

Has anyone noticed the disparity between F1’s continuing solid TV figures and the lack of new sponsors on the Williams and the trouble McLaren has had finding a title sponsor?

I was saddened to see the Williams livery with nothing really new on it, just a sponsor or two that have been lured from Lotus. One has to ask why that has happened. Why can the team not find more money after such a decent season in 2014? No-one doubts that F1 delivers the goods for the sponsors of the front running teams, so why are they in such short supply? Could it be that they don’t want to be associated with Smellyville and would prefer to spend their money doing business with Cleanville?

Richard
Richard

I hope Williams aren't too dependent on Petrobas money. The CEO and 5 top execs have been fired and black holes are appearing in the accounts. The new management may decide that it's time to be frugal and ditch the champagne lifestyle of the F1 paddock?

http://www.ft.com/cms/s/0/995ce64a-ac78 ... z3QrRoIGFS
http://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/ ... azil-dream
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-31126287

PlatinumZealot

Oil companies are never frugal. believe me.
πŸ–οΈβœŒοΈβ˜οΈπŸ‘€πŸ‘ŒβœοΈπŸŽπŸ†πŸ™

SiLo

What I don't understand is why there aren't more sponsors that are actually car related in F1.

yes, maybe they won't use any of your components, but the general public don't have to know that.
Felipe Baby!

Moxie
Moxie

SiLo wrote:What I don't understand is why there aren't more sponsors that are actually car related in F1.

yes, maybe they won't use any of your components, but the general public don't have to know that.
The benefit does not justify the cost. Despite common perception, most companies are not great big vaults of cash. (Banks and Oil companies are the exceptions) Advertising budgets are limited, and must be spent wisely. Advertizing on the side of an F1 car just doesn't provide adequate return on investment.

I do find it interesting that certain brands related to fashion still sponsor individual drivers, but then again the advertizing goes beyond the car on the track. (The handsome and daring driver wears xxx jeans, and yyy cologne and a zzz watch)

wesley123
wesley123

SiLo wrote:What I don't understand is why there aren't more sponsors that are actually car related in F1.

What would be the benefit of that? What is the relation to it?
"Bite my shiny metal ass" - Bender