F1 Sponsorship - follow the money!

Post here all non technical related topics about Formula One. This includes race results, discussions, testing analysis etc. TV coverage and other personal questions should be in Off topic chat.
Richard
Richard

Re: F1 Sponsorship - follow the money!

Moxie wrote: I do find it interesting that certain brands related to fashion still sponsor individual drivers, but then again the advertizing goes beyond the car on the track. (The handsome and daring driver wears xxx jeans, and yyy cologne and a zzz watch)
Indeed, the advertising value is having a pic of superstar driver in the glossy magazines. It seems sponsorship value of sport stars lies in the celebrity aura beyond their actual sport. We're in a personality driven world (plus ca change).

Santander UK is a great example. Not many people actually watch cars going around in circles,who cares about a logo on a car. In contrast an awful lot of people recognize that smiling chap on the Santander cash machine. They might not know his name but they know he's got a nice smile and won something important a while ago. That's what sponsors are paying for.

FW17

Why is it that these days drives find more sponsors than teams?

jickmagger
jickmagger

Most of these companies have so much money in their marketing coffers that they are happy to splash their name every where. Whether it is on the livery of a Formula 1 car or on Jordan's bottom (Katie not Eddie :-)

Vettel Maggot
Vettel Maggot

Just looking at this old image and seeing all of the local companies sponsoring a team just for the weekend and wondering why this doesn't happen more often?

Fasta Pasta is a local Italian restaurant chain

Tip Top is a dry cleaning business!

We are not talking huge multi million dollar companies, do the current teams have a marketing department that goes after the 'little fish' or are they too proud like McLaren? They don't want to 'tarnish the brand' with small time players and changing sponsors race to race?

wesley123
wesley123

I don't think they have the money to do so, plus, why would you only want to be visible on a car for only one race? That'd only work if you are looking for a cheap(er) sponsorship opportunity or are incredibly focused on a single country(or area). Red Bull only has(or had) 7-Eleven sponsorship on their cars where 7-Eleven actually is a thing.

You generally want to reach an as broad audience as possible for your brand, and that doesn't really work if your brand is only on the car in one race.
"Bite my shiny metal ass" - Bender

FW17

The audience is the sponsors problem, the teams job is to just get them on the Car for what ever best possible sum.

The issue is that no marketing people in these lower teams such as Manor.

This is what a tail end team should look like

While the top looks like this

Insted every thing looks like this

sectionate
sectionate

It'll be interesting to see how it changes when BE has gone.

There must be a mountain of tech companies out there that are sitting on a huge pile of cash, surely they would like to sponsor something to raise their game? I expect a lot of these such companies (apple, google, etc etc), or the crop of young billionaires, don't want to get involved because F1 has had its image tarnished in the last decade or so with numerous scandals. They probably see it as a huge waste of money because of this. What's the point in sponsoring a team if the head of the sport is in court in Germany for alleged bribery claims, or races are being held in circumspect countries, or racist fans, or USA 2005?

Image is everything nowadays, and consumers are becoming more aware of how companies are acting.

On a side note, I have always wondered why there haven't been more technical collaborations between F1 and the engineering industry as a whole? Surely the knowledge that some teams have on physics would be beneficial to other companies, such as Rolls Royce etc...

SectorOne

Utter nonsense.
"If the only thing keeping a person decent is the expectation of divine reward, then brother that person is a piece of sh*t"

wesley123
wesley123

sectionate wrote: There must be a mountain of tech companies out there that are sitting on a huge pile of cash, surely they would like to sponsor something to raise their game?
Why? Many tech companies have got very little to do with actual relations to people, they either are a company directed towards OEMs or their name is synonymous with society(Think Google, which actually is a verb)
I expect a lot of these such companies (apple, google, etc etc), or the crop of young billionaires, don't want to get involved because F1 has had its image tarnished in the last decade or so with numerous scandals.
I cannot think of a sport that hasn't been involved in any scandals.
What's the point in sponsoring a team if the head of the sport is in court in Germany for alleged bribery claims, or races are being held in circumspect countries, or racist fans, or USA 2005?
Getting your name out there.

I know another sport that has much, much more of such scandals; soccer. And soccer has quite a lot of sponsorship going on.
Image is everything nowadays, and consumers are becoming more aware of how companies are acting.
Not entirely true. Every publicity is publicity. Image is a very insignificant thing. Because if it were, why do billions of people use Google? Why do over a billion people have a Facebook account? Two companies that are put under the microscope for their privacy violations.
Image means very little in getting people to use your product.
On a side note, I have always wondered why there haven't been more technical collaborations between F1 and the engineering industry as a whole? Surely the knowledge that some teams have on physics would be beneficial to other companies, such as Rolls Royce etc...
It has been quite a lot. But more on a social side, ie Gatorade drinks, or cooks. A technical collaboration would make fairly little sense as there is little to collaborate on.
"Bite my shiny metal ass" - Bender

FW17

Heineken set to enter Formula 1 as sponsor

Heineken is set to enter Formula 1 as a major sponsor in a five-year deal worth $150m, Autosport understands.

The drinks giant will have a significant trackside presence from this year's Canadian Grand Prix and will not be replacing any existing trackside sponsors such as Rolex or Pirelli.

Although sources close to the deal would not comment on the record, the agreement is said to have been reached directly between Formula One management and Heineken, which has previously enjoyed high-profile partnerships with Champions League Football and the Rugby World Cup.

Unusually for a 'trackside' deal, the Heineken arrangement is said to include provision for a degree of partnership with an F1 team.

Several teams have been issued with Requests For Proposals from Heineken, whereby the team making the best pitch to the brewer would receive its revenues.

It is likely therefore that the successful team will carry some kind of Heineken branding.

Behind-the-scenes paddock and garage access is extremely valuable to any sponsor wishing to gain maximum value from its involvement.

A source close to the deal said: "This is great news for Formula 1. It's a high-profile brand committing cash and credibility and that can only be good for the sport."

Mr. Fahrenheit

sectionate wrote:It'll be interesting to see how it changes when BE has gone.

There must be a mountain of tech companies out there that are sitting on a huge pile of cash, surely they would like to sponsor something to raise their game? I expect a lot of these such companies (apple, google, etc etc), or the crop of young billionaires, don't want to get involved because F1 has had its image tarnished in the last decade or so with numerous scandals.
They don't want to get involved because the F1 audience isn't the same demographic that they aim their products to.

Manoah2u
Manoah2u

Vettel Maggot wrote:http://fc05.deviantart.net/fs71/i/2012/ ... 5p0xic.jpg

Just looking at this old image and seeing all of the local companies sponsoring a team just for the weekend and wondering why this doesn't happen more often?

Fasta Pasta is a local Italian restaurant chain

Tip Top is a dry cleaning business!

We are not talking huge multi million dollar companies, do the current teams have a marketing department that goes after the 'little fish' or are they too proud like McLaren? They don't want to 'tarnish the brand' with small time players and changing sponsors race to race?
look how great that car looks, despite the crowd of sponsoring!
"Explain the ending to F1 in football terms"
"Hamilton was beating Verstappen 7-0, then the ref decided F%$& rules, next goal wins
while also sending off 4 Hamilton players to make it more interesting"

pob

FW17 wrote: ...Unusually for a 'trackside' deal, the Heineken arrangement is said to include provision for a degree of partnership with an F1 team.

Several teams have been issued with Requests For Proposals from Heineken, whereby the team making the best pitch to the brewer would receive its revenues.

It is likely therefore that the successful team will carry some kind of Heineken branding...
Would it be cynical of me to suggest that whichever team wins the Heineken contract will suddenly happen to get a lot of air time on the world feed?

Manoah2u
Manoah2u

not liking it much, though i like the idea of a return of the caterham-green into the field

btw,
people whom understand dutch understand this joke lol

Either way i think we can scratch Mclaren away from the prospect of having Heineken as a sponsor due to the Chandon partnership. I kinda feel like it would clash with their interests.
Williams clearly won't go along due to the Martini sponsorship.
I know regarding both those aren't beer brands, but it still would clash with the fact both are alcohol products and would clash imho.

I think regarding the team RedBull there might be space for it, though i'm not sure how it would fit with the blue red bull brand colour. On the other side, they have a Aston Martin partnership and green would go fine there. A Green Red Bull? don't think so, but one never knows. It would make some sense with their Dutch driver and there's big potential there, but then again i think the presence of a decent dutch driver is the reason Heineken takes this chance to enter F1, they're not dependant of him tho, like jumbo would be for example (supermarket chain).

Mercedes wouldnt clash with anything but possibly their brand image - on the other side, Hamilton drinking a Heineken beer in a commercial and on some posters would remember people of 'hey that's that Merc driver'. And you can still make it a safe commercial. "I only drink AFTER i drive".

Ferrari - no way.
Haas - nah, they are rather a potential platform for gaining US advertising so i'd rather indeed see Budweiser or something like that.
Renault - yellow-green is not impossible colorwise, but would it fit their current 'direction'? Heineken Renault F1 Racing team. Enstone did business with ING before. Could happen.
Sauber - god knows they would need it, but i have a hard time believing anybody has confidence in their survival with or without millions and millions slammed into that sinking ship.
Manor - there could be a possibilty, but they're rather at the back - then again, Heineken gains enough exposure through their trackside adverts.

Force India - would be interesting, Mallya seems in trouble recently and one might wonder whether they might be looking for a new sponsor with the expectancy Sahara will be out sooner or later. It could clash a bit with Mallya's beverages portfolio.
It would be a perfect team for a Heineken partnership tho - Green the colour of Heineken, and Orange the national colour of NL are two colours of the Indian flag. Not to mention it would help Heineken gain attention in India. Win-win imho. They could even continue the Royal Challenge whisky sponsoring, as it is not a 'main' sponsor in the likes for example of Martini.

So if you'd ask me, i would see Heineken Force India F1 Team - Mercedes / Honda actually happening the most. Especially since Heineken asks for the teams to bring the best proposition to become partner. And regarding the possibilities of the benefits of a collaboration with the platform the Forcia India team offers, i'd say that is the most likely candidate. It would also put the Indian GP into a better prospect of returning to the F1 calender, having a mega-corporation like Heineken behind them.
And then i haven't even delved into the platform Sergio Perez' presence offers with the Mexican and LatinAmerican market through Carlos Slim.

A team like Mercedes would only offer 'image'. A Team like Force India is a giant business platform.

additionaly, it would also improve the possibility of a return of a Dutch GP on the calender, and would add Force India to Dutch F1 shows.

Imagine that, Heineken in F1, Force India - already in a decent position in F1 - would solve some future doubts on finances by being sponsored by Heineken, a return of the Indian GP on the calander, Heineken gains a whopping load of more attention in India thanks to the likes of Mallya - either way very famous in India - and his indian F1 team whom also helped the return of the Indian GP hitting the right notes of pride for the Indian govment and people, and the possibility of a return of the Dutch GP since there is a giant dutch brand the main F1 sponsor, sponsors a specific F1 team, and there is a dutch driver in the RedBull garage.

Rotterdam City Racing turning into an actual F1 GP? Rotterdam City on the calender, i'll sign right now please.

1. Heineken Force India
2. Heineken Mercedes AMG
3. Heineken RedBull Racing
4. Heineken Manor Racing Team
"Explain the ending to F1 in football terms"
"Hamilton was beating Verstappen 7-0, then the ref decided F%$& rules, next goal wins
while also sending off 4 Hamilton players to make it more interesting"

OneAlex

I can see Force India being the team to get any sponsorship deal (as Diego/Aston Martin laid the groundwork for it there), but I'd like to see a Heineken Manor Racing Team.

The team could do with the extra cash to help them become a midfield player as well as give them a major sponsor on an otherwise bare car.

Plus as a "British" team I'm sure they wouldn't mind switching over to a racing green car. One of my favourite F1 liveries was Jaguar's version of British Racing Green with the white/red sponsor logos so I would love to see a Heineken version of that on Manor similar to the one Manoah posted (but bring back the gold wheels, too!)