Driver Helmets 2015

Post here all non technical related topics about Formula One. This includes race results, discussions, testing analysis etc. TV coverage and other personal questions should be in Off topic chat.
Whodeany13

Re: Driver Helmets 2015

Tell me you couldn't distinguish Dan Ricciardo wearing this fictional helmet design in 2015?!?! :D :D :D
I hope F1 is in Bernie's will!

Cuky

helmet that Hamilton would have been using in Malaysia hadn't FIA banned design changes during season

Moose

For me, Alonso's helmet could really be this simple:

There's no reason for him to have all the go faster stripes all over it (and actually, Alonso's helmet is one of the simplest). I really wish the drivers would just do nice, simple identifiable helmets.

astracrazy

Cuky wrote:helmet that Hamilton would have been using in Malaysia hadn't FIA banned design changes during season
http://www.f1fanatic.co.uk/wp-content/u ... helmet.jpg
http://www.f1fanatic.co.uk/wp-content/u ... lmet-2.jpg
what the punishment if he wears it?

Manoah2u

Cuky wrote:helmet that Hamilton would have been using in Malaysia hadn't FIA banned design changes during season
http://www.f1fanatic.co.uk/wp-content/u ... helmet.jpg
http://www.f1fanatic.co.uk/wp-content/u ... lmet-2.jpg
that's a beautifull helmet. I also really like the special Petronas color hats they wear in Malaysia, too.

what if he only wears it during free practice?
"Explain the ending to F1 in football terms"
"Hamilton was beating Verstappen 7-0, then the ref decided F%$& rules, next goal wins
while also sending off 4 Hamilton players to make it more interesting"

gray41

I think we need a ruling from the FIA, is it going to be a fine/grid drop/penalty points/stop go penalty/five second penalty?
Lewis Hamilton #44
Poles: *****
Wins: ***

PlatinumZealot

Hamilton used his bell helmet in Q3 today. It has a cool bishop look to it. You know, like the bishop chess peice.
🖐️✌️☝️👀👌✍️🐎🏆🙏

gary123

ESPImperium

I believe this whole helmet for a whole season thing is a bunch of bull. My position has and will always be that drivers should be allowed to change their helmet design for up to 4 races a year, but for design changes, allow two complete design changes a year, so a driver can use either of those special designs again once more.

Any more than that, ill say no thanks. The Schumacher gold and silver helmets when he was at Mercedes are a good idea of what id say is ideal, again Grosjean/Vergne/Raikkonen with Monaco designs are perfect things that are F1. Last race helmet designs like what Rubens had in 2008 as he thought it was his last GP as Honda were pulling out, again perfect. Jensons pink for Papa, again perfect, but he would be allowed one more race with it.

Lets have a little change and sense in the paddock, did it always Jeff me up with Vettel, yes, but with the likes of the above mentioned, perfect. Get that middle ground.

As for numbering of cars, could/should it be time to go to Le Mans style boxes on the cars in 3 areas (Nose & Side-pods/Rear Wings) is another thing. Teams like Sauber have massive numbers on the car sides, Red Bull are non existent. Should we have a standardised font as well? I think a standardised size at least with a white background. Also on the side of the car, should we also have clearer 3 letter driver names and nationalities? I think what was tested in magnet Cours by Ferrari and Mercedes was a brilliant idea. Sponsors would be pissed, but if it makes the trackside experience better, why not? Also, for at home watchers, why not have the cars bulkhead where the 'windshield' is have a 3 letter name and the car number?

Theres its of small, sensible things that will improver trackside and at home viewing. Not bloody helmet changes that are used in a controlled manner.

Jonnycraig

gray41 wrote:I think we need a ruling from the FIA, is it going to be a fine/grid drop/penalty points/stop go penalty/five second penalty?
It's a fine. Vettel said he will probably pay it for Monaco & Singapore.

PlatinumZealot

Helmet aerodynamics are important to which one you chose. Hamilton swapped Arai because they haven't developed the helmet as much as bell and Schuberth! :idea:

http://www.motorsport.com/f1/news/hamil ... -with-arai
"I've had Schuberth trying to get me to try their helmet as well. Ultimately you all know I've been with Arai since I was 10-years-old, a long, long, long time, but they don't develop as Schuberth and the others do, and I like that, I like helmets that are developing and improving.

"That doesn't mean that Arai... Arai's still a damn good helmet and I've been with them a long time, and you see me swapping back, because I always go back to the old reliable."

However, the following day he opted to use the Bell in the race
🖐️✌️☝️👀👌✍️🐎🏆🙏

SectorOne

Does anyone have images of the two helmets with sort of a base color? I honestly can´t see the difference of the two.
Only the Schubert helmet which Rosberg use i can see it´s an entirely different shape (doesn´t look right in my opinion)
"If the only thing keeping a person decent is the expectation of divine reward, then brother that person is a piece of sh*t"

krisfx

SectorOne wrote:Does anyone have images of the two helmets with sort of a base color? I honestly can´t see the difference of the two.
Only the Schubert helmet which Rosberg use i can see it´s an entirely different shape (doesn´t look right in my opinion)
The Bell is a different shape to the Arai too, just more at the rear than anywhere else as they seem to bulge more and imo are not comfy to wear.

The vents on the chin and top are both completely different on each, the Bell has more triangular vents on the chin with a series of holes up the top (though weirdly Hamilton has an Arai vent in the middle not actually doing anything). Arai having a row of three vents across the top, normally with covers and the big giveaway is on the Arai GP6, they put a black thumb bracket on the visor side so it's easier to open with gloves.

Also on the Bell you can get a version with a massive chin spoiler, which looks utterly daft. The best place for side by side images is to go here: http://www.demon-tweeks.co.uk/motorsport/helmets and select FIA 8860 option, the two lids you want to look at are the Arai GP6 RC and the Bell HP7 sans "silly spoiler".

SectorOne

That is brilliant, thank you! Great images on that site for a comparison.
"If the only thing keeping a person decent is the expectation of divine reward, then brother that person is a piece of sh*t"

krisfx

SectorOne wrote:That is brilliant, thank you! Great images on that site for a comparison.
No worries, a lot of that stuff was what I looked at when I bought my GP-5, though to be honest the end decision was on the Arai looking much cooler :)