Which team do you think would switch to Honda power?

Post here all non technical related topics about Formula One. This includes race results, discussions, testing analysis etc. TV coverage and other personal questions should be in Off topic chat.
godlameroso

Which team do you think would switch to Honda power?

As the title states, this thread is pure speculation, I want to know what you guys/gals think. Provided Honda finishes the season relatively well and doesn't get run out of F1 again, what team(s) do you think would adopt Honda power once the unit becomes proven? Do you think they'll stay McLaren exclusive because of costs?
Saishū kōnā

raymondu999

Re: Which team do you think would switch to Honda power?

Relatively well, or most powerful? I think if they're toe to toe with Merc, RBR might be scrambling for a contract.
失败者找理由,成功者找方法

Raleigh
Raleigh

I imagine McLaren can veto RBR getting Honda engines. STR can be ruled out because they'd give all Honda information possible to Renault via RBR. The Merc customer teams won't want to switch unless Honda does something truly extraordinary. Sauber maybe? Their links with Ferrari have been weakening.

Most likely option would be Manor/Marusia, assuming they make it to the grid and are still around for 2016.

SilverArrow10

Red bull also wouldn't give up the advantage of being a works team and playing second fiddle to McLaren. Odds are the teams are pretty fixed in terms of engines and the next Honda team may be a new entrée. And there have been rumors about Manor should they survive into 2016 to build a new car around a new engine. Haas is a new Ferrari customer.
"Leave it to Lewis Hamilton to ruin Redbull's day" - Martin Brundle

"Ok Lewis, Its Hammertime!!" - Peter Bonnington

"Fresh tires, 15 laps. What do you think Lewis Hamilton is going to do?" - Martin Brundle

WaikeCU

Perhaps Force India? Since Mercedes-Benz engine contract could be too expensive for them?

Facts Only
Facts Only

WaikeCU wrote:Perhaps Force India? Since Mercedes-Benz engine contract could be too expensive for them?
FIF1 are a "partner team" to Merc and buy the gearbox and other drivetrain bits (essentially the complete powertrain), also the Merc PU contract is the cheapest (compared to Renault and Ferrari) from the figures I've seen and I bet buying a gearbox is cheaper than developing and making their own (a service Honda may not offer). Lastly being just down the road from MGP and HPP and sharing the same first language as the designers of the PU keeps things a lot simpler than dealing with Honda in Japan. So I doubt they will switch anytime soon.

If its anyone I think it will be Williams, they have always been willing change engines when needed (Renault/Mechacrome, BMW, Toyota, Cosworth, Merc in the last 15 years), unless that is Mclaren put a block on them.
"A pretentious quote taken out of context to make me look deep" - Some old racing driver

Raleigh
Raleigh

Williams has the best relationship of a customer team with its engine supplier of any team on the grid (better than even Renault RBR which is on paper a works relationship), and that relationship is for the best engine on the grid. They would be crazy to change now.

ScottB
ScottB

Yeah, with Toto still owning shares, managing one driver and being married to another, Williams will be staying put.

Manor makes sense, both as an engine customer and a home for Mclaren proteges. The more data Honda can get the better really.

I'm surprised the engine manufacturers haven't been more vocal about wanting more teams; they've put in huge investment, so ending up with their number of teams dwindling risks that investment, for example Renault is now basically at the mercy of Red Bull, that doesn't make for a strong bargaining position! I'd think it would be good if each engine maker had at least 2 or 3 teams to supply.

Richard
Richard

Honda need a mid field team to build up their experience, there's no way they can use simulations to substitute race mileage. Williams would be ideal as the leading midfield team, but Lotus, Force India or Sauber are established enough to be useful. As I recall FI have a recent working relationship with Mclaren so that might be an advantage if the relevant personal got on well (and are still in place).

TAG

Richard wrote:Williams would be ideal as the leading midfield team

Can't believe you just said that after last season. The sport is all about "what have you done for me lately" and Williams ended up in front of the Honda works team if I recall. 8)

There's been rumors of Honda being behind Marussia's financial resurgence as a B team to McHonda.
माकडाच्या हाती कोलीत

Richard
Richard

Fair point - "Best of the non-works teams" would have been better wording. Although Mclaren-Honda might not be keen on the possibility of being beaten by a customer team!

donskar
donskar

The next Honda-powered team presumes the engine will be worth having. I believe Honda will (soon) be an excellent F1 engine. Other than Ferrari (semi-seriously here) I'd like to see it in an "almost there" team, like Sauber or Force One India. I do not think Honda would want to be in a no-hoper like Marussia.
Enzo Ferrari was a great man. But he was not a good man. -- Phil Hill

Moose
Moose

For me, the obvious choice is Sauber (if they still exist). Ferrari's engines are expensive, and not great. It's a no-brainer to try and get out of that deal.

PlatinumZealot

Raleigh wrote:Williams has the best relationship of a customer team with its engine supplier of any team on the grid (better than even Renault RBR which is on paper a works relationship), and that relationship is for the best engine on the grid. They would be crazy to change now.
True. As long as Toto and Suzie's relationship is strong, the relationship between Mercedes and Williams will be strong. Suzie needs to make sure her husband is happy to keep those engines at Williams. 8)

With that said, I think the available engines are very good aross the board and the pool of customers is quite small, so can't really see anyone switching over to Honda. Maybe a new entry.
🖐️✌️☝️👀👌✍️🐎🏆🙏

Andres125sx

Richard wrote:Fair point - "Best of the non-works teams" would have been better wording.
Best of non-works teams.... and even better than some works team

What make me think... That´s a big step forward from season to season. Williams was 9th with 5 points in 2013... and 3th with 320 points in 2014 :shock: