Which team do you think would switch to Honda power?

Post here all non technical related topics about Formula One. This includes race results, discussions, testing analysis etc. TV coverage and other personal questions should be in Off topic chat.
Manoah2u

Re: Which team do you think would switch to Honda power?

Moose wrote:For me, the obvious choice is Sauber (if they still exist). Ferrari's engines are expensive, and not great. It's a no-brainer to try and get out of that deal.
First team that popped in my mind aswell. They've been hiring Ferrari powerplants for quite a while and it has not really played them dividends. I'd think Mercedes would be more interesting for them, they ran them before, but there are too many Merc supplied teams around. Renault would not fit them either, Honda would be an interesting supplier for them.

It's not a works team so they won't get full focus like Mclaren will, and they're not 'upfront' enough to be a threat to Mclaren, which RedBull would.

I'd imagine Lotus as an interesting one, aswell though. As retro as it gets, but it depends on how well they cope with the Merc engine. At the same time, Lotus could become more of a threat to Mclaren compared to Sauber.

So if you ask me, it would either be Sauber or a newcomer team.
"Explain the ending to F1 in football terms"
"Hamilton was beating Verstappen 7-0, then the ref decided F%$& rules, next goal wins
while also sending off 4 Hamilton players to make it more interesting"

Shrieker

Why not FIndia as WaikeCU has pointed out ? They're in a bit of a financial trouble, if the Honda engine is not too shabby they could be tempted by a lower price (than merc). They've also ran Honda engines before under the guise of Jordan - it didn't end well that time round tho.
Education is that which allows a nation free, independent, reputable life, and function as a high society; or it condemns it to captivity and poverty.
-Atatürk

Manoah2u

Shrieker wrote:Why not FIndia as WaikeCU has pointed out ? They're in a bit of a financial trouble, if the Honda engine is not too shabby they could be tempted by a lower price (than merc). They've also ran Honda engines before under the guise of Jordan - it didn't end well that time round tho.
because i feel the rumours about Renault wanting to buy Force India to turn it into a Works Renault team more viable than them 'surviving' and going for a Honda powerplant.
"Explain the ending to F1 in football terms"
"Hamilton was beating Verstappen 7-0, then the ref decided F%$& rules, next goal wins
while also sending off 4 Hamilton players to make it more interesting"

Nickel

Shrieker wrote:Why not FIndia as WaikeCU has pointed out ? They're in a bit of a financial trouble, if the Honda engine is not too shabby they could be tempted by a lower price (than merc). They've also ran Honda engines before under the guise of Jordan - it didn't end well that time round tho.
I was under the impression the Merc was the cheapest of the three. I cannot recall the source of this particular notion though. I seem to remember reading that the renault was stupid expensive.

WaikeCU

Nickel wrote:
I was under the impression the Merc was the cheapest of the three. I cannot recall the source of this particular notion though. I seem to remember reading that the renault was stupid expensive.
Nah, I didn't have a source at all. It was pure feeling and opinion wise. You know German cars aren't the cheapest one you can get. Add some options on a standard model and you've just doubled the price you have to pay for the car. That's my logic.

PlatinumZealot

I have also heard that the Merc engine is cheaper than the Renault and cheaper than the Ferrari. I can't remember if it James Allen or AMuS or some other site.

But yeah, remember the Mercedes engine is made in England, the other two are made in France and Italy I think. Very possible that the Mercedes engine is cheaper (considering their ERS is more mature as well).
🖐️✌️☝️👀👌✍️🐎🏆🙏

TAG

This is referenced a lot, here's where I first read about it. Can't say how valid it is as Joe Saward can be all over the place where his opinion is concerned.
The onomatopoeia of F1 engines

Ferrari at $30 million. Maaa…

Renault at $40 million. Yougottabekiddinme…

Mercedes at $26 million. Ker-Ching!
माकडाच्या हाती कोलीत

PlatinumZealot

I read one that said Caterham owes 38 million to Renault.

https://joesaward.wordpress.com/2014/10 ... terham-f1/
The current engines cost around $38 million, everything included, but in 2012 they were cheaper.
Joe Saward again.

If these numbers are even close to accurate I can see why RedBull is so pissed off at Renault...
🖐️✌️☝️👀👌✍️🐎🏆🙏

kaepernickus

For me that's a bit much of "I hear, the suggestion is, ..." without naming any sources to accept those numbers without at least putting a huge question mark behind them.