Graphene

Post here all non technical related topics about Formula One. This includes race results, discussions, testing analysis etc. TV coverage and other personal questions should be in Off topic chat.
bdr529

Graphene

A very long time a go I read about this material ( so to speak ) graphene in one of my chemical trade magazine, and at the time it was just a lot of "what if's". And then every few years it would reappeared in the trade magazines, each time the material became thinner and with more ideas for the use of this material, still more on paper then real life
Then in 2004 the good people at the University of Manchester managed to get it down to the thickness of 1 atom and then came some more idea's of how this material could be used. time passed and I forgot all about it.

Now It seems I can't go a month with out reading or seeing something about Graphene and its wonder properties.
I no longer work in the chemical and coatings industry but would love to know more about it now that it seems to be on our door step
has anyone here on the forum heard about graphene and maybe some of the ways that this could be used on F1 cars

sorry about the cheesy video but gives a good out line on what graphene is

shelly
shelly

Re: Graphene

IIRC there are some rules that forbid using graphene in certain areas of the car, but I am not sure,
twitter: @armchair_aero

Just_a_fan
Just_a_fan

I recently heard someone in an interview about graphene complaining that they keep finding wonderful things about it but they can't seem to make use of any of them. Perhaps its still too young an area of research?
If you are more fortunate than others, build a larger table not a taller fence.

bdr529

Just_a_fan wrote:I recently heard someone in an interview about graphene complaining that they keep finding wonderful things about it but they can't seem to make use of any of them. Perhaps its still too young an area of research?
Yes perhaps so, I'm sure once it gets out in the field things will start to advance quicker.
Much like the guy in the interview I'v been hearing the same thing for the last 20 years

this is the photo I stumbled upon a few weeks ago that peaked my interest again, it's called graphene aerogel
it's seven times lighter than air, weighs just 0.16 milligrams per cubic centimeter
Last edited by bdr529 on 11 Feb 2015, 01:25, edited 1 time in total.

Unc1eM0nty

7 times lighter than air ? shouldn't it be floating :)

I guess the technology is to immature at the moment, once there's a gain to be had the teams will be all over it.

Just_a_fan
Just_a_fan

Aerogels are an interesting technology when looking at thermal insulation. Not something that F1 would have a huge use for I'd have thought. Starting to see it being used in construction, however. Extremely effective thermal insulation although it has some potential handling issues.
If you are more fortunate than others, build a larger table not a taller fence.

bdr529

Just_a_fan wrote:Aerogels are an interesting technology when looking at thermal insulation. Not something that F1 would have a huge use for I'd have thought. Starting to see it being used in construction, however. Extremely effective thermal insulation although it has some potential handling issues.
The heat resistance properties is what I was thinking of, It maybe a replacement for gold or other coatings on the bulkhead or even as heat shielding in the engine area

marcush.
marcush.

you may search this very forum to read about it.

SectorOne

Unc1eM0nty wrote:7 times lighter than air ? shouldn't it be floating :)
Only if it´s air tight with a vacuum inside it.¨

edit: been thinking a bit and i´m not so sure i´m right here.. maybe it´s density.
"If the only thing keeping a person decent is the expectation of divine reward, then brother that person is a piece of sh*t"

bdr529

marcush. wrote:you may search this very forum to read about it.
Thanks, I had just tried a general search and nothing came up
SectorOne wrote:
Unc1eM0nty wrote:7 times lighter than air ? shouldn't it be floating :)
Only if it´s air tight with a vacuum inside it.¨

edit: been thinking a bit and i´m not so sure i´m right here.. maybe it´s density.
yes it is density according to this article, my mistake
" aerogel has a lower density than helium and only twice as much as hydrogen. Regular air, has a density of about 1.2 mg/cm3. That’s 7.5 times heavier than graphene aerogel "
http://www.geek.com/science/graphene-ae ... l-1544025/

hollus

marcush. wrote:you may search this very forum to read about it.
I thought so too, but I can't find it, neither from this page nor via google... The thread exists, doesn't it?
Steven, I think the search feature needs a revamp!
Rivals, not enemies.

Richard
Richard

Put this into google and you'll find a few graphene refs

graphene site:www.f1technical.net/forum

:arrow: https://www.google.co.uk/search?q=graph ... .net/forum

hollus

So that is the right way to google within F1T. Thanks.
Rivals, not enemies.

Andres125sx

Richard wrote:Put this into google and you'll find a few graphene refs

Thanks!

Today searching is a science by itself, everything is into the net but you need to find it, wich sometimes becomes more difficult than expected. But if you know how to do a search you can find everything you want.

Thanks for sharing, that´s a very useful tool for searching :)

bdr529

Richard wrote:Put this into google and you'll find a few graphene refs

It's always my favorite part of research, you learn something new, whether it was what you were looking for or not

Thanks Richard