2016-2017 chassis and engine rules (proposed)

Post here all non technical related topics about Formula One. This includes race results, discussions, testing analysis etc. TV coverage and other personal questions should be in Off topic chat.
McMrocks

Re: 2016-2017 chassis and engine rules (proposed)

Inspired by the 18', 19' or 20" inch wheel proposals i was thinking of a comeback of the wheel covers. like this.

They were looking great on the F2008 and McLaren MP4-23. Don't be misleaded by the picture in the link- for some reason Honda made the car deliberately looking bad. To me they look great. So if the aim is to give the cars a more aggressive look i'd let them return. However they also improve aerodynamic efficiency. (and since the cars need to get faster...)

edit: And for those who argue that fixing them takes too long during the pitstops- no, when refuling comes back they have the time to fix them. When i remember correctly the pit crew used one wheel gun to remove the tyre and then used a new one with a new wheel cover to get the tyer back on

VFC_Cipher

No reason they couldn't be affixed to each wheel like the nut is now. I mean, we've completely lost the plot on cost savings so whats another 60-80 wheel fairings?

McMrocks

VFC_Cipher wrote:No reason they couldn't be affixed to each wheel like the nut is now. I mean, we've completely lost the plot on cost savings so whats another 60-80 wheel fairings?
Exactly! If just the money was divided properly

ESPImperium

Those wheel covers were ditched as they cost €40,000 a wheel, and you need 24 in order to be able to run them properly. Thats 3 sets per car. The smaller teams cannot afford to put €1m into wheel covers, with the R&D involved as well, Force India were devoting €2.5m a year to them in 2008 and that was said by Mike Gascoigne in 2009.

Also, it has been said that the wheel design now is doing a much better job over the wheel fairings now than they have ever done, wheel design has marched on since they were banned for 2010. Also, now we have blown wheel nuts that also manage the airflow as well, if not better than the fairings.

Vettel Maggot

I was glad when those wheel covers were banned, they looked ridiculous.

Sevach

http://adamcooperf1.com/2015/06/05/f1-t ... yre-rules/

And they couldn't agree on something as simple as the choose your own tires rules either, they do nothing but disagree on things.

Letting self interested parties decide the rules has been terrible.

Jordan44

Mid-season rule changes. Le sigh.

domh245

I am wondering how this 5th engine un-penalization for Honda be applied? My guess is that the next engine penalties for each component will be waived

BanMeToo

That's what I am thinking too

McMrocks

Am i the only one who disagrees with most of the proposals:

-new exhaust system (fighting the symptoms instead of the illness)

-limit on the use of engine dynamometers (makes it more difficult for Renault, Honda (and Ferrari) to catch Mercedes)

-increased freedom of tyre choice (I'm actually ok with that)

-wider tyres (i hope they increas the width of the front tyres aswell otherwise the cars will just understeer)

-more aerodynamic downforce (Haven't they learned anything from the dirty air problematic? To make that work out for the racing it would need very sensible regulations. The front and rear wings shouldn't be very sensitive for dirty air. My suggestion as an armchair aerodynamicst: Maximum angle for the wing elements (No line in the longitudinal vertical cross-section of the front wing may have a greater angle than 30°))
-

iotar__

McLaren's additional engine is purely political decision. Why wasn't Lotus given additional engine last season when they got third grade units and support from Renault? Honda should have five in the first season but that's not why they modified the rules. This part has not changed, they are as much in their first season as they were when 4 engine rules were decided. It happened because their engine is unreliable and F1 is a cheap marketplace with equal and more equal.

They are not a threat to big teams, Red Bull and others will get some other deals and McLaren itself will get more money at the expense of mid-field while contributing nothing, fail-proof system. Lotus couldn't afford to make a reliable gear-box, they already had two races ruined let them have one or two free changes then. It's only fair.

FW17

I hope they finally settle on full length ground effect tunnels with sliding skirts for 2017

I am ok with the wide tyre they are talking about just for looks but I hope they apply that to the front tyre as well. Currently with a 340 rear and a 240 front it looks comical, much rather prefer a 340 rear with a 310 front, that would look far more aggressive rather than just a wider rear.

Sevach

McMrocks wrote: -limit on the use of engine dynamometers (makes it more difficult for Renault, Honda (and Ferrari) to catch Mercedes)
Is this replacing the tokens or in addition to them?

If it is replacing it makes sense since it makes the way they control engine cost more in line with the way they control aero costs (wind tunnel limtations).

toraabe

WilliamsF1 wrote:I hope they finally settle on full length ground effect tunnels with sliding skirts for 2017

I am ok with the wide tyre they are talking about just for looks but I hope they apply that to the front tyre as well. Currently with a 340 rear and a 240 front it looks comical, much rather prefer a 340 rear with a 310 front, that would look far more aggressive rather than just a wider rear.

If they do you need to permit active suspension because of safety reasons.