2016-2017 chassis and engine rules (proposed)

Post here all non technical related topics about Formula One. This includes race results, discussions, testing analysis etc. TV coverage and other personal questions should be in Off topic chat.
FW17

Re: 2016-2017 chassis and engine rules (proposed)

toraabe wrote:
WilliamsF1 wrote:I hope they finally settle on full length ground effect tunnels with sliding skirts for 2017

I am ok with the wide tyre they are talking about just for looks but I hope they apply that to the front tyre as well. Currently with a 340 rear and a 240 front it looks comical, much rather prefer a 340 rear with a 310 front, that would look far more aggressive rather than just a wider rear.

If they do you need to permit active suspension because of safety reasons.

I like that idea too

McMrocks

WilliamsF1 wrote:
toraabe wrote:
WilliamsF1 wrote:I hope they finally settle on full length ground effect tunnels with sliding skirts for 2017

I am ok with the wide tyre they are talking about just for looks but I hope they apply that to the front tyre as well. Currently with a 340 rear and a 240 front it looks comical, much rather prefer a 340 rear with a 310 front, that would look far more aggressive rather than just a wider rear.

If they do you need to permit active suspension because of safety reasons.

I like that idea too
Isn't it already proposed for 2016 or 2017?

The_table

Martin Brundle tested 18" tyres on a GP2 car and complained about a lack of visibility.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M4ejE8lEqm8

I personally would enjoy harder tyres and have the cars be limited by fuel , with no fuel flow limit and maybe smaller fuel tanks to force drivers to pit a few times.
I think fuel is more predictable than extreme wearing tyres ,because if you lock up once(maybe a bit more) the set is ruined which does not encourage hard racing.

Sevach

http://www.jamesallenonf1.com/2015/07/j ... ight-away/

Simple suggestion by JPM, remove tire sensors.

What he says makes sense to me.

Moose

That won't make racing better, it'll make racing more random.

The problem with the pirellis is, and always has been that they have a temperature cut off where they start to not work correctly, and worse, cook themselves so that they don't work correctly if you cool them down again. They have no outward indication to the driver of when they reach that temperature.

There would be two potential results of JPM's suggestion
1) Drivers randomly hit the cliff, and we get a pirellotery.
2) Drivers choose to drive well within what they're comfortable with, to guarantee not cliffing the tyres.

Neither will result in good racing.

VFC_Cipher

I get that Michelin wants 18" wheels/tire for relevance to road cars, but why not move from 13" current to 15" like Indy Car uses or used to use? This would allow the overall O.D. to remain the same while getting some of the suspension movement that designers use the sidewall for out of the equation.

Sevach

Moose wrote:That won't make racing better, it'll make racing more random.

The problem with the pirellis is, and always has been that they have a temperature cut off where they start to not work correctly, and worse, cook themselves so that they don't work correctly if you cool them down again. They have no outward indication to the driver of when they reach that temperature.

There would be two potential results of JPM's suggestion
1) Drivers randomly hit the cliff, and we get a pirellotery.
2) Drivers choose to drive well within what they're comfortable with, to guarantee not cliffing the tyres.

Neither will result in good racing.
You seem to equate consistent with good racing.

Moose

No, I just don't equate randomness with good racing. Having a different winner every weekend does not imply that the racing was good. It just implies that it's a lottery.

Sevach

Moose wrote:No, I just don't equate randomness with good racing. Having a different winner every weekend does not imply that the racing was good. It just implies that it's a lottery.
If it's the same for everybody and under control of the driver bring it on honestly.
There's nothing random about feel.

djos

VFC_Cipher wrote:I get that Michelin wants 18" wheels/tire for relevance to road cars, but why not move from 13" current to 15" like Indy Car uses or used to use? This would allow the overall O.D. to remain the same while getting some of the suspension movement that designers use the sidewall for out of the equation.
I agree, 15" is a good compromise.
"In downforce we trust"

Sevach

djos wrote:
VFC_Cipher wrote:I get that Michelin wants 18" wheels/tire for relevance to road cars, but why not move from 13" current to 15" like Indy Car uses or used to use? This would allow the overall O.D. to remain the same while getting some of the suspension movement that designers use the sidewall for out of the equation.
I agree, 15" is a good compromise.
13s do look a bit disproportionate in person, like a mini dragster tire.

Silent Storm

15" or 16" will be a good compromise. BTW what will be the challenges to the engineers if we go from 13" to 15" or 18" and how will it effect handling??

Higher unsprung mass will definitely not help cornering but will it give better traction or maybe a bit less locking of front tyres when braking.
The ones with the least to say always want to be heard the most…

VFC_Cipher

More room for larger discs and calipers as well as airflow through that area to cool discs and heat rims. As I understand it, engineers rely on a known sidewall deflection to act as the majority of the "spring rate" in the car. Little movement actually occurs through the suspension itself. I am sure there are more who know about this area specifically and in greater detail. My sneaking suspicion is that is why the resistance to even a 15" or 16" wheel as the loss of sidewall deflection would cause large scale re-engineering of uprights and suspension geometry and travel. Again, if someone knows better, please educate us tech noobs.

Silent Storm

VFC_Cipher wrote:More room for larger discs and calipers as well as airflow through that area to cool discs and heat rims. As I understand it, engineers rely on a known sidewall deflection to act as the majority of the "spring rate" in the car. Little movement actually occurs through the suspension itself. I am sure there are more who know about this area specifically and in greater detail. My sneaking suspicion is that is why the resistance to even a 15" or 16" wheel as the loss of sidewall deflection would cause large scale re-engineering of uprights and suspension geometry and travel. Again, if someone knows better, please educate us tech noobs.
I don't think they will go for larger discs as that will only add more weight. Bigger disc might not translate to better braking performance if the wheels get too heavy.

So with narrow sidewall teams will have to run their suspension softer than what they are running now but with heavier wheels won't they have to stiffen it up. Or do they need just more suspension travel no need of softer setup?
The ones with the least to say always want to be heard the most…

GoranF1

AMuS gallery of proposed 2017 aero set-up of F1 cars.

http://www.auto-motor-und-sport.de/bild ... 89160.html
"I have no idols. I admire work, dedication & competence."