2016-2017 chassis and engine rules (proposed)

Post here all non technical related topics about Formula One. This includes race results, discussions, testing analysis etc. TV coverage and other personal questions should be in Off topic chat.
godlameroso

Re: 2016-2017 chassis and engine rules (proposed)

PlatinumZealot wrote:Does anyone believe Pirelli's tyre shpiel for one second?

We are decades ahead of the 1980's when cars had 1200hp in race trim, we have Lemans cars weighing upwards of 1000 kg that makes more downforce than formula 1 and now we Pirelli tells us the tyres cannot handle only a 10% increase in contact patch loading?!!
Hell the cars easily had 10% more downforce in 2013, and the Pirelli's didn't explode, or need higher pressures.
Saishū kōnā

matt21

Hail22 wrote:Hell I have a feeling that if at least half of the F1tech community was given a say in this we'd come up with a more amicable solution going towards 2017 that'd see costs go down, profits up and bums on seats at races (at venues where people will actually go to).
Why aren´t we doing it then?

Hail22

matt21 wrote:
Hail22 wrote:Hell I have a feeling that if at least half of the F1tech community was given a say in this we'd come up with a more amicable solution going towards 2017 that'd see costs go down, profits up and bums on seats at races (at venues where people will actually go to).
Why aren´t we doing it then?
The FoM, BE, the vested interests and most likely the FIA do not care for any group of humans who may have options, innovative solutions to help this soon to be spec series.
If someone said to me that you can have three wishes, my first would have been to get into racing, my second to be in Formula 1, my third to drive for Ferrari.

Gilles Villeneuve

Thunder

Aaaaaaaand we're back to the refuelling Talks....

http://www.bbc.com/sport/formula1/35323338
turbof1 wrote: YOU SHALL NOT......STALLLLL!!!
#aerogollum

Joseki

Thunders wrote:Aaaaaaaand we're back to the refuelling Talks....

http://www.bbc.com/sport/formula1/35323338
I get it, we are living the same things in loop until we discover how to get out of it.

Anyway I'll prefer to have refueling instead of the DRS.

ScottB

The limiting factor would still be the tyres, I doubt they'd handle the refuelling era flat out sprints between stops either...

ringo

Formula 1 grands prix could feature refuelling again in 2017, with the plan to be discussed further next week.

Refuelling's return was mooted in May, when F1's Strategy Group announced plans for a series of measures to improve the show in 2017.

While the move had the support of drivers, the plan was quashed by teams and subsequently dropped.

However, speaking at Autosport International, FIA president Jean Todt confirmed it is now back on the agenda, with the topic to be discussed during a two-day meeting in Geneva next week.

"Yes, it is true," Todt said when asked about refuelling's potential return in 2017.

"If you have some doubt about something, and personally and honestly I have a doubt, talking with the working group meeting we readdress is it right not to have refuelling?

"You know the reason why it was banned, refuelling? It was the cost of carrying the fuel rig. Now we are in a kind of modern area where we know how it works."

Todt dismissed the notion that refuelling would raise costs, and decide its fate.

"We are talking about 50,000 euros a year," he said.

"If it is good for the show, I'm in favour of reducing the cost but that is not a key point on the global cost of Formula 1."
I was always a supporter. It hypocritical to talk of fuel efficiency and not have refueling.
The cars should be as light as possible at all times to further reduce fuel consumption. I think technology is also at an advanced stage where safety is not an issue.
Also the show will be much improved.
For Sure!!

Pingguest

I fail to see how refuelling could improve the show, as it allows drivers to gain positions without any on-track passing.

Joseki

ScottB wrote:The limiting factor would still be the tyres, I doubt they'd handle the refuelling era flat out sprints between stops either...
With refueling there will be no need to have stupid tyres, we'll have the pit stops in any case.

krisfx

Pingguest wrote:I fail to see how refuelling could improve the show, as it allows drivers to gain positions without any on-track passing.
As do chewing gum tyres... Any on track passes are artificial and just because of the huge offset in life.

Pingguest

krisfx wrote:
Pingguest wrote:I fail to see how refuelling could improve the show, as it allows drivers to gain positions without any on-track passing.
As do chewing gum tyres... Any on track passes are artificial and just because of the huge offset in life.
Personally, I would like to see the return of a tire war and tires having to last the entire race, making drivers to do the race on them own.

strad

I have long advocated a compound available that could last the race distance.
Sure it would be very marginal near the end but it would open up other strategy's.
To achieve anything, you must be prepared to dabble on the boundary of disaster.”
Sir Stirling Moss

godlameroso

ScottB wrote:The limiting factor would still be the tyres, I doubt they'd handle the refuelling era flat out sprints between stops either...
Maybe they can, seeing as they'll have less weight to lug around.
Saishū kōnā

ringo

Strategy and entertainment needs the right balance.
If a driver is going to drive slow, i am not in support of that. A Formula 1 race should be a sprint, not a jog.
If refueling is going to mean the driver is going to drive 25 qualifying laps then that's what i support. Real white knuckle balls to wall stuff. I think we had enough of the gentleman's car whisperer crap.
For Sure!!

Andres125sx

+1

No refuelling and no DRS, togheter with real tires, that´s the only way to improve the show, when drivers have no options to overtake and they can only do it on track

And yes, even if overtaking numbers drop drastically, I much prefer 5 real overtakes to 50 overtakes thanks to DRS, I said it before first race with DRS, and I still think the same after several seasons with DRS. DRS ruins the most exciting part of racing, when not even overtaking is exciting the series can´t survive for too long