Ferrari Future of Formula 1 Car Design

Post here all non technical related topics about Formula One. This includes race results, discussions, testing analysis etc. TV coverage and other personal questions should be in Off topic chat.
Just_a_fan

Re: Ferrari Future of Formula 1 Car Design

S'funny but my initial reaction to the Ferrari design was "that's intended to appeal to the US market"...
If you are more fortunate than others, build a larger table not a taller fence.

f1316

The point here is to get people talking, not to say this is definitively what should be done. But it's along the lines of what Ron Dennis said: come up with something that looks great and then reverse engineer the regulations.

And it's not wholly futuristic, which I like. The front wing, for example, is like a reimagining of the 2008 ones only improved because the raised 2005-2008 fws contributed to it being extremely difficult to follow another car.

Also agree that it has to stay open wheel - not a huge fan of the shapes (for want of a better word) behind the rear wheels for this reason.

JaqDRipper

Hideous. Next...

WaikeCU

rich1701 wrote:It looks like what a Ferrari might look like in Thunderbirds. I like how they sneaked in 18 inch wheels. personally i'm not a fan. I think the RedBull X1 is a much better concept. It's a futuristic but closer to the identity of what a formula 1 car has become.

I still remember this Mclaren:

Sevach

henra wrote:
Turbo wrote:Indy is looking better and better.

http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/117716
Hmmm,
Not to me.
While it doesn't look great (or good imo).

It's a major improvement

NutritionFact

Hy folks, the ferrari future concept remembers me on this lambo concept.....http://www.google.at/imgres?imgurl=http ... MygAMAA4ZA

Not so new....
"In my time the Pit babe was there instead of the telemetry."
Gerhard Berger

Manoah2u

NutritionFact wrote:Hy folks, the ferrari future concept remembers me on this lambo concept.....http://www.google.at/imgres?imgurl=http ... MygAMAA4ZA

Not so new....
yeah, i've always get the hots for that lambo design. it looks much better. it's just a bit too much LMP, but it's ALMOST F1.
"Explain the ending to F1 in football terms"
"Hamilton was beating Verstappen 7-0, then the ref decided F%$& rules, next goal wins
while also sending off 4 Hamilton players to make it more interesting"

turbof1

I always frown when people say "it's too lemans". More often then not people mean that they dislike that the wheels/tyres have some sort of cover, in any whatever shape (crucially the ferrari is still classified as open wheel!).

The wheels amount for a staggering 40% of the total drag on a F1 car. In times of emphasis on less fuel consumption and more efficiency, don't you guys think atleast some solutions should be applied on reducing wheel drag? It doesn't have to be fully enclosed, but some bodywork behind and in front of the tyre sounds like a good compromise.
#AeroFrodo

Holm86

turbof1 wrote:I always frown when people say "it's too lemans". More often then not people mean that they dislike that the wheels/tyres have some sort of cover, in any whatever shape (crucially the ferrari is still classified as open wheel!).

The wheels amount for a staggering 40% of the total drag on a F1 car. In times of emphasis on less fuel consumption and more efficiency, don't you guys think atleast some solutions should be applied on reducing wheel drag? It doesn't have to be fully enclosed, but some bodywork behind and in front of the tyre sounds like a good compromise.
I completely agree, for me F1 just has to be the pinnacle of motorsport. It does not have to be open wheeled.
Once, a proper F1 car didn't even have wings. Times changes.
Last edited by Holm86 on 27 Feb 2015, 10:17, edited 1 time in total.

Manoah2u

That's where opinions vary. F1 to me has to be open-wheeler. It has been like that since the start. Lose open-wheel, lose the essence of F1. but that's my thought.

BTW, it looks too LMP-ish to me not because of the wheel wells - well, partially -. It's because of the rear 'structure'

Offcourse the rear 'shape' is partially constructed as/from the wheel wells. But the rear is where i'm having most problems with as it classifying enough as a F1 car, offcourse the 2-seater set-up offcourse is another part of this.

what i like about this car is that, if it were a 1 seater, it'd be 90% full-futuristic perfect F1 car.

It covers so many issues that it's just amazing. The driver head protection: see-through windshield that protects driver from flying debris [wheels, springs, etc]. long enough nose construction for a decent crash-structure AND it will prevent another car from hitting the driver's head. It has advanced aerodynamics. it's got one of the most beautifull things;
no airbox. Like the mp4/4 f.e. clear rollhoop, looks great. The design of the sidepods. HUGE rear spoiler.

You know what, i'll make a thread to discuss this beauty.
"Explain the ending to F1 in football terms"
"Hamilton was beating Verstappen 7-0, then the ref decided F%$& rules, next goal wins
while also sending off 4 Hamilton players to make it more interesting"

NutritionFact

Thx manoha2u, for post the pics out of the link
"In my time the Pit babe was there instead of the telemetry."
Gerhard Berger

mrluke

We want to move F1 into the future.....but we dont want to actually change it, keep it as it always was.

WaikeCU

mrluke wrote:We want to move F1 into the future.....but we dont want to actually change it, keep it as it always was.
Ok, then...

FrukostScones

Ferrari Concept, the verdict of the engineers:
AMUS
https://translate.google.de/translate?s ... t=&act=url
Finishing races is important, but racing is more important.