F1 overlay drawings

Post here all non technical related topics about Formula One. This includes race results, discussions, testing analysis etc. TV coverage and other personal questions should be in Off topic chat.
djones

Re: F1 overlay drawings

I always thought Scarbs had some talent. After seeing his technical pictures I was always amazed.

Now I know how it's done and its basically tracing, I'm left disappointed.

Its like somebody has just shown me the details of a magic trick and spoilt the illusion.

PlatinumZealot

michaelclarke wrote:Here's the newest instalment; thanks turbof1 and SiLo for help and tips.

I went with the layer idea in the end. It's hard to estimate the shape of the wing elements underneath the cascade (there's some unfinished business under there) but on the whole it's much more refined than before.

I should also mention it is unfinished, I plan to go back to the front suspension and brake ducts, as well as the other side of the FW.

https://i.imgur.com/6Nh9VO4.png
Hey. That looks pretty good!

Yes, emphasize the outlines. Back when I was into product packaging drawings I had to emphasize the outlines on the CAD files. Gives a nicer effect.
🖐️✌️☝️👀👌✍️🐎🏆🙏

turbof1

djones wrote:I always thought Scarbs had some talent. After seeing his technical pictures I was always amazed.

Its like somebody has just shown me the details of a magic trick and spoilt the illusion.
Scarbs does sometimes use free hand to draw, Will Tyson a bit more often then that (his drawings of his mercedes W05 ebook are free hand).
Also, it's still more difficult then you might think. You need to interpret correctly what's on the picture, which can be difficult at times with the complex shapes in F1.
#AeroFrodo

michaelclarke

PlatinumZealot wrote:
michaelclarke wrote:Here's the newest instalment; thanks turbof1 and SiLo for help and tips.

I went with the layer idea in the end. It's hard to estimate the shape of the wing elements underneath the cascade (there's some unfinished business under there) but on the whole it's much more refined than before.

I should also mention it is unfinished, I plan to go back to the front suspension and brake ducts, as well as the other side of the FW.

https://i.imgur.com/6Nh9VO4.png
Hey. That looks pretty good!

Yes, emphasize the outlines. Back when I was into product packaging drawings I had to emphasize the outlines on the CAD files. Gives a nicer effect.
Thanks PlatinumZealot! I'll try and go back and change them but, predictably uni engineering coursework is getting in the way of everything else atm so it may take a while #-o.

djones, I would tend to agree with turbof1; even an overlay drawing takes a lot of time and effort. Freehand must be incredibly difficult. Scarbs has started adding livery paint layers, which just adds another level of difficulty again. He must spend quite some time on it.
“Keep learning, you’ll never know everything… Never think you’re the best, because you probably aren’t. And always strive to be the best; that is working hard and keep learning.” – Jensen Button.

Richard

djones wrote:I always thought Scarbs had some talent. After seeing his technical pictures I was always amazed.

Yes anyone can trace an image and given enough experience it might look decent too. However that's like saying taking a photograph is only a matter of pointing and clicking a camera.

The talent lies in what is being communicated. People like Scarbs give us technical insights from their knowledge of the cars and talking to people with the right knowledge. They take their time to find out what is going on and give us a narrative. That's the bit that means the likes of Scarbs and WPT are more than mere tracers.

PlatinumZealot

Tracing is one the many tools for people like Scarbs, but since the topic is about tracing and not the whole package of a complete media article I think it is OK to discuss his drawing in isolation from everything else.

Sort of an Off topic... I notice Scarbs is getting into video. He has his own Youtube channel now. hehe.
🖐️✌️☝️👀👌✍️🐎🏆🙏