2015 Testing Comparative Performance Speculation Thread

Post here all non technical related topics about Formula One. This includes race results, discussions, testing analysis etc. TV coverage and other personal questions should be in Off topic chat.
Juzh

Re: 2015 Pre-season Testing

Sevach wrote:
Juzh wrote:
Sevach wrote: 1-Every power unity must be exactly the same(of a given maker) including ERS, no such thing as a "home made" recovery system anymore.
Hardware wise. Software is a free for all.
Kinda... one of the Mclaren complaints was that they had to run with the Mercedes programming, so in theory you are correct, in the real world...
True.

IFK
IFK

Re: 2015 Testing Comparative Performance Speculation Thread

HAM vs RIC race sim :
http://blog.autoplus.fr/moncet/wp-conte ... .38.19.png

Kvyat is going faster than Ricciardo today though. Don't know if it's track/temp conditions or if they are running another engine/aero spec.
Last edited by IFK on 21 Feb 2015, 22:00, edited 1 time in total.
"I think I'll be as welcome as a toothache on a wet Monday morning." MB

Moose
Moose

Today show's Merc are looking pretty ominous IMO. Hamilton set a time within 0.3 of the fastest of the day, on tires that are 1.2 seconds a lap slower, during a race simulation run.

I'd say Merc still have a significant advantage.

dren

Yes, Mercedes looks to be the team to beat once again with very good looking stints on "worse" tires compared to the others on similar runs. Comparable stints on tires shows Williams is ahead of Red Bull. Ferrari hasn't run similar stints so hard to tell for them, although their one lap pace looks much improved.
Honda!

Rikhart
Rikhart

Moose wrote:Today show's Merc are looking pretty ominous IMO. Hamilton set a time within 0.3 of the fastest of the day, on tires that are 1.2 seconds a lap slower, during a race simulation run.

I'd say Merc still have a significant advantage.
0.3? He is 1.7 seconds slower than the faster time today.

Jonnycraig
Jonnycraig

Mercedes
Ferrari/Red Bull
Red Bull/Ferrari
Lotus
Williams

jericho

So the times doesn't mean all that much, but lets predict the order:

1: Mercedes
a (very) smal gap to:
2: Ferrari/ Red Bull
4: Williams
5: Lotus/Sauber/Torro Rosso -> about the same pace i think..

Mclaren didn't do a race sim, so can't say how fast the car really is. If they get a trouble free car, i think we'll be suprised!

dren

I think it's closer to this:

1. Mercedes
2. Williams
3. Red Bull/Ferrari
4. Lotus

McLaren is nowhere in the picture at the moment with the way the PU is running. Once that is sorted, I expect them to be in the mix with Red Bull and Ferrari.
Honda!

ESPImperium
ESPImperium

I Think its this:

Mercedes
Williams
Red Bull/Ferrari
Lotus
STR/Sauber
McLaren (When things start to work on a PU level I'm putting them at Williams level)
Force India (As we haven't seen their new motor yet)
Manor F1 Modified 2014 Car - - - Until the team get their 2015 car made as it could be much closer to Force India

SectorOne

My guess is

Mercedes
Red Bull (Mclaren to join here when everything is sorted)
Ferrari/Williams
Lotus/STR
Mclaren/Force India
Sauber

But in 23 days we will know for sure.
"If the only thing keeping a person decent is the expectation of divine reward, then brother that person is a piece of sh*t"

dren

Well after that medium tire time Rosberg posted today, Mercedes looks pretty good. It looks like Lotus might have improved the most, with Ferrari a big improvement too.
Honda!

Dixo

I do not see Wills so high, there was nothing really impressive from their side so far.

And regarding McL, everything what we know are promises from Arai "McLaren Honda will be able to challenge at the very front of the grid from the first race in Australia" and Dennis "The performance is pretty impressive."

So, from my point of view:
Mercedes
RBR / Ferrari
Lotus / Wills
STR / Sauber / McL

tomazy
tomazy

Dixo wrote:I do not see Wills so high, there was nothing really impressive from their side so far.

And regarding McL, everything what we know are promises from Arai "McLaren Honda will be able to challenge at the very front of the grid from the first race in Australia" and Dennis "The performance is pretty impressive."

So, from my point of view:
Mercedes
RBR / Ferrari
Lotus / Wills
STR / Sauber / McL
Williams did a 1:28.164 on hard tires on the first timed lap of a 27 lap stint and last years fastest lap in the race was 1:28.918 on a 3th lap of a 14 lap stint.

I was quite impressed with that.

Dixo

You are right but best time on Mediums was 1:26.912 and on softs 1:25.345 what is far from best.

tomazy
tomazy

Well if they can do 1:28.1 with hards and 27 laps of fuel, I think they can go faster than 1:26.9 on Medium. That is what I want to say. It is only testing and we can't get any conclusions from this test. Next test we will get more answers, when everybody will probably do a full on qualy simulation. And we will probably get many race simulations at the same time, so that the track conditions will be the same.

Only on race simulation, we can be shore what the fuel load is, so this is the most reliable thing to look at. Qualy simulations will all be on low fuel, but it stil can be 10 laps vs 3 laps of fuel.