Alonso's Crash

Post here all non technical related topics about Formula One. This includes race results, discussions, testing analysis etc. TV coverage and other personal questions should be in Off topic chat.
bdr529

Re: Alonso's Crash

Andres125sx wrote:...
.. The driver will release the wheel before crashing with the wall, he could break his hands otherwise.
Yes they should, but sometimes they don't, it doesn't seem natural, maybe some drivers have trouble letting go of the wheel

motobaleno

According to autosprint mclaren will not use the MGU-K honda tomorrow!
they will use an old 2014 mgu-k....
If this will be confirmed and I repeat IF confirmed, still all of you convinced of the gusty wind theory?

http://autosprint.corrieredellosport.it ... nda/25655/

Richard
Richard

motobaleno wrote:http://www.f1analisitecnica.com/2015/02 ... ml?refresh

an analysis of the crash by f1analisitecnica.
there is some interesting and not trivial photographic reconstruction
Also some strange logic. For instance the lack of a neck brace on leaving hospital is held as proof he didn't get whiplash, hence discounts concussion.

Shame the journalist hadn't realised that whiplash is caused by the rapid jolt of the head, like a whip. However Alonso was wearing a HANS device to prevent whiplash.

motobaleno

Richard wrote:

Also some strange logic. For instance the lack of a neck brace on leaving hospital is held as proof he didn't get whiplash, hence discounts concussion.

Shame the journalist hadn't realised that whiplash is caused by the rapid jolt of the head, like a whip. However Alonso was wearing a HANS device to prevent whiplash.
I would say CLUE more than PROOF... for sure you are right about whiplash I'm no orthopedic but well I find it a little strange...it's' a clue that is accumulating with other clues as quitting mgu-K for the last chanche that teams have to fix things before real racing...we have no single smoking gun richard...no unambiguous proof as you would say....but many strange clues are accumulating...

Richard
Richard

It's completely spurious. We never see F1 drivers with a collar after huge impacts because they are wearing HANS.

FoxHound

Richard wrote:

The point he made refers to the Photographer Jordi Vidal Conejo's version of events, a person whom McLaren themselves wanted information from.
The other critical bit of info relates to Vettel who was traveling much faster than Alonso immediately after him.

There is some mileage to this, what with the team being very quiet and Alonso being held for 3 days as precautionary.

Until we unequivocally know otherwise, isn't this at least plausible?
JET set

motobaleno

acosmichippo
acosmichippo

Whether or not he has whiplash is irrelevant. You get a concussion from your brain getting rattled around in your skull, which can happen without your neck moving whatsoever.

motobaleno

Richard wrote:It's completely spurious. We never see F1 drivers with a collar after huge impacts because they are wearing HANS.

to be clear: I agree with you that the collar question is a very minor one.

BTS
BTS

May be Fernando realised there was something wrong and decided to steer to the right to free the racing line and in a view to park it along the wall and whatever was wrong lead to this crash?

Thefuelman
Thefuelman

motobaleno wrote:
Richard wrote:

I would say CLUE more than PROOF... for sure you are right about whiplash I'm no orthopedic but well I find it a little strange...it's' a clue that is accumulating with other clues as quitting mgu-K for the last chanche that teams have to fix things before real racing...we have no single smoking gun richard...no unambiguous proof as you would say....but many strange clues are accumulating...

I have to say that I did say this on this thread a few days ago. At the risk of accumulating more negative points it looks like the car gave Alonso some sort of shock. The way he pulled it over and made contact with the wall slowing down. It's dubious it was the wind as Vettel was right behind him at similar speed and he says Alonso pulled off rapidly and skated down the wall.
I'm no tech ace but doesn't the MGU-K seal insulate the wiring from the chassis and other car components? Does anyone have tech knowledge of this. The whole pictures of Alonso in Hospital with a smile do look a tad contrived as well. Anyone else have any thoughts?

SectorOne

Looks like this,

Except that in Alonso´s case there was grass and a solid wall very close to it.
Maldonado realizes what is happening when he goes over the curbs basically.

In Alonso´s case, no curb, just grass.

And astroturf is quite a bit away from the tarmac, there´s no need to fully extend the corner when you´re doing 150km/h.
Let alone be anywhere close to it.
It was dry as well, far from having ice-like properties in dry conditions.

Although it could have some water stored in it.

"If the only thing keeping a person decent is the expectation of divine reward, then brother that person is a piece of sh*t"

nzjrs

motobaleno wrote:According to autosprint mclaren will not use the MGU-K honda tomorrow!
If this will be confirmed and I repeat IF confirmed, still all of you convinced of the gusty wind theory?

I admit I read a google translated link. But this is a random article by some guy, quoting no one nor providing any evidence why he believes they will run an old mgu-k. Why should I believe this articel at all?

Thefuelman
Thefuelman

Looks like K-Mag will be in for Alonso. I have half a mind he may well be in for Melbourne And Malaysia also. :roll:

FrukostScones

nzjrs wrote:
motobaleno wrote:According to autosprint mclaren will not use the MGU-K honda tomorrow!

I admit I read a google translated link. But this is a random article by some guy, quoting no one nor providing any evidence why he believes they will run an old mgu-k. Why should I believe this articel at all?
http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/117811
Finishing races is important, but racing is more important.