Alonso's Crash

Post here all non technical related topics about Formula One. This includes race results, discussions, testing analysis etc. TV coverage and other personal questions should be in Off topic chat.
nzjrs

Re: Alonso's Crash

I'm not a subscriber so I can't read the whole link, only the description. Can you copy and paste it here please?

FrukostScones

nzjrs wrote:
I'm not a subscriber so I can't read the whole link, only the description. Can you copy and paste it here please?
oh ok, it was public this afternoon,
headline still is on Autosport.com frontpage:
Mclaren to use its own MGU-K parts
it's also discussed in the MP4-30 thread
Finishing races is important, but racing is more important.

andartop

Guys, seriously, considering the following FACTS:

1. There is no video feed of the accident.

2. McLaren have already made a statement about the causes of the crash, and it seems improbable that they might come up with another statement saying anything different (and why the f$&k would they???).

3. The driver involved said he does not remember what happened.

...the only thing one can safely CONCLUDE is that there is nothing at all in the whole wide world anyone can say, do or show to convince you that there is nothing more to it, and there isn't going to be anything more to it until the first race of 2015 takes place and we can start arguing again whether Lewis is better than Senna and whether Vettel was unworthy of his 4xWDC, or until someone makes a really silly post and this thread gets locked by the mods, whichever comes first.

I mean, even if Alonso himself paid you a visit and got to know the Mrs and the kids and had dinner with you and then sat down and explained to you that there is really nothing more to it, you would be back here the moment he was out the door posting that for Alonso himself to get into the trouble of coming all the way where you live and spending a whole evening with you trying to convince you there is nothing more to it, you MUST BE ON TO SOMETHING!!!!

Most adult homo sapiens can accept that, you know, sometimes s&1t happens.
The most merciful thing in the world, I think, is the inability of the human mind to correlate all its contents. H.P.Lovecraft

R_Redding

Thefuelman wrote: I'm no tech ace but doesn't the MGU-K seal insulate the wiring from the chassis and other car components? Does anyone have tech knowledge of this.
The seals they are referring to are most likely oil related seals. And McLaren have already stated there were no ERS anomolies.

The MGU-K is usually oil cooled with oil flowing both through and around the stator and through the central shaft of the rotor ..
Based on the 2009 MGU-K layout , I assume it to be the first front seal that stops the through rotor oil flow from escaping at the drive gear end. That seal probably has to cope with shaft speeds upto 30,000 rpm , and possibly at full engine oil pressure if they use that instead of hydraulic oil.

Last edited by R_Redding on 25 Feb 2015, 22:12, edited 2 times in total.

aral

motobaleno wrote:According to autosprint mclaren will not use the MGU-K honda tomorrow!
they will use an old 2014 mgu-k....
If this will be confirmed and I repeat IF confirmed, still all of you convinced of the gusty wind theory?

http://autosprint.corrieredellosport.it ... nda/25655/

And how do you link that with Alonso's incident? The Honda seal was faulty, and that is why McLaren are using their own. NOT because Alonso had a crash. The Autosprint article is just another of the wild speculation theories that are produced/ Everybody loves to have their own theories, and sometimes overlook the obvious .
Last edited by aral on 25 Feb 2015, 22:11, edited 1 time in total.

FrukostScones

so autsport was wrong:

Honda UK motorsports to modify seal and as far as I understand tomorrow they will run the same engine MGU-K spec like in the test before (autosport said in their article that on sunday McL used an Mclaren spec "old" version of MGU-K when ALO crashed):

http://www.omnicorse.it/magazine/48865/ ... a-a-woking

maybe some italian native here that can confirm? google translator only ouputs garbage!
Last edited by FrukostScones on 25 Feb 2015, 22:18, edited 1 time in total.

irang

andartop wrote:Guys, seriously, considering the following FACTS:

1. There is no video feed of the accident.
Actually there seems to be, though I doubt it will ever be released to the public.

FIA to investigate Fernando Alonso's McLaren Formula 1 test crash

Furthermore, high level sources have revealed that CCTV footage of the Alonso crash has been sourced and will be used to try to give some better insight into exactly what happened.

It is understood the low-quality footage was taken from a camera near Turn 4 looking back at the exit of Turn 3 - and it captures Alonso running wide, trying to correct his car and then slowing down before crashing into the wall on the inside.

Hobbs04

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6W9ojuNvqWc[/youtube]

Alonso's pass in the same turn on Hamilton on first lap of 2013 race. Just for reference and enjoyment... Only 17 more days before this thread dies.

lewishamilton90

Can a car after an impact on the wall to a force of 30 g stay intact with the suspension?

motobaleno

FrukostScones wrote:so autsport was wrong:

Honda UK motorsports to modify seal and as far as I understand tomorrow they will run the same engine MGU-K spec like in the test before (autosport said in their article that on sunday McL used an Mclaren spec "old" version of MGU-K when ALO crashed):

maybe some italian native here that can confirm? google translator only ouputs garbage!
the article from omnicorse refers to past test session. they say nothing about what they will use tomorrow.
of course AS could be wrong but it is different from omnicorse or analistecnica or newsf1 who are only online... well to be clear: I usually find those sites as reliable
but AS is different: it has a solid reputation and you can buy it printed since seventies! so when AS gives a news (not a comment or an interpretation) they usually have robust sources.

To give you an example: you could find many rumors about the weirdness of alonso crash on many sites...but AS never supported not even commented these rumors...only this evening they exited with that news on honda mgu-k and they explicitly mentioned that this news caould be related with alonso crash...so it is likely not to be unsignificant thing
Last edited by motobaleno on 25 Feb 2015, 22:33, edited 3 times in total.

Vary

It says that Honda is six months behind schedule because Of test benchs, and that they hope to solve mguk problems in the next tests. It also says that the mguk is Made By Honda in milton keynes, not By McLaren as stated By autosport

PlatinumZealot

frosty125 wrote:I'm not sure if it has been previously mentioned but I wonder if the unique layout of the McLaren suspension where the lower wishbone is more laid back bracing it from loads in that direction. Perhaps the rear made contact first did not deform much then snapping the front right into the wall.

http://i.imgur.com/DPMvMBz.jpg
that is incorrect.
🖐️✌️☝️👀👌✍️🐎🏆🙏

FrukostScones

motobaleno wrote:

the article from omnicorse refers to past test session. they say nothing about what they will use tomorrow.
of course AS could be wrong but it is different from omnicorse or analistecnica or newsf1 who are only online... well to be clear: I usually find those sites as reliable
but AS is different: it has a solid reputation and you can buy it printed since seventies! so when AS gives a news (not a comment or an interpretation) they usually have robust sources.

To give you an example: you could find many rumors about the weirdness of alonso crash on many sites...but AS never supported not even commented these rumors...only this evening they exited with that news on honda mgu-k and they explicitly mentioned that this news caould be related with alonso crash...so it is likely not to be unsignificant thing
La MP4-30 girerà domani a Barcellona con Button nella stessa configurazione dell'altro test
"The MP4-30 is going to run tomorrow at Barcelona in the same configuartion like at the other test."

so you speak Italian? I don't think so. or you are blind or cannot read, sry but when you claim such thing.
Last edited by FrukostScones on 25 Feb 2015, 22:44, edited 2 times in total.

Edax

BTS wrote:May be Fernando realised there was something wrong and decided to steer to the right to free the racing line and in a view to park it along the wall and whatever was wrong lead to this crash?
That thought crossed my mind also. It would fill in the gaps pretty well. For instance Alonso after having some unbalance decides to clear the racing line for Vettel. Throttle gets stuck (or ers is engaged) and powers him into the wall. It would match the absence of rear wheel skid marks. The surprise factor pretty much rules out any effective counteraction.

But then again there are many different scenario's which could cause or contribute to the crash. Being distracted by radio communication. A teared up eye like hamilton in Monaco. Even things like mistaking the corner for a different corner and aiming for a non existing apex (it has happened before).

And perhaps we will never know. I mean we will for instance never know why Villota accelerated into the back of a truck. Too many episodes of CSI has fed us with the idea that every accident investigation leads to a logical conclusion.
andartop wrote:I mean, even if Alonso himself paid you a visit and got to know the Mrs and the kids and had dinner with you and then sat down and explained to you that there is really nothing more to it, you would be back here the moment he was out the door posting that for Alonso himself to get into the trouble of coming all the way where you live and spending a whole evening with you trying to convince you there is nothing more to it, you MUST BE ON TO SOMETHING!!!!
So basically what your saing is that a F1 driver and a Journo who spends his professional life trackside got it wrong and it is a completely normal crash?

I think everyone agrees this was a strange crash. To have a car veer off in the dry mid corner and go straight into the inner wall leaving one skid mark is unusual. That it injures a driver makes it worthwile to investigate.

for that reason the FIA should investigate. Even if it doesn't reveal the exact contributors to the crash it can lead to new insights that contribute to safety. One of the results could be (just as an example) the conclusion that they're currently making the suspensions so strong that they render the side crash structures inneffective at these velocities.

With regards to conspiracy theories. F1 is a strange club and a lot has been going on behind the scenes. But since the seventies they have not compromised on driver or public safety. That goes both for the teams as the organisation. It is one thing to steal information from a team in order to gain a few hundreds, it is another to withold information may affect the safety of all drivers.

I think everyone can rest assured that that would not happen. The only thing that I may hold against McLaren is that they released too strong an statement before concluding the investigation. But from my own experience I also know the temptation and the pressure that the PR people put on you to make statements when doing an investigation. Especially when the outside world is conducting its own "investigation".

I guess we have to be patient. But on the other hand puzzling with a few pieces of information trying to deduct a story is an interesting pass-time, and I'm guilty. :oops:

motobaleno

FrukostScones wrote:
La MP4-30 girerà domani a Barcellona con Button nella stessa configurazione dell'altro test
so you speak Italian? I don't think so. or you are blind or cannot read, sry but when you claim such thing.
what I have to say bro? maybe I'm blind as you say but I don't find the sentence you reported in the article you linked...
and personally of course I'm not happy nor sad if macca uses old mgu-k. It will be just a fact.
anyway nevermind, tomorrow we will see...