How much titanium will be consumed to make sparks?

Post here all non technical related topics about Formula One. This includes race results, discussions, testing analysis etc. TV coverage and other personal questions should be in Off topic chat.
PlatinumZealot

How much titanium will be consumed to make sparks?

Titanium is not a cheap metal by any stretch. It is the metal of choice though to safely make sparks if I'm right. I have read in various places that this year's rules stipulate that titanium skid blocks are put under the front splitter to make sparks to improve the show. I wonder though, is this a wasteful initiative? If you had to estimate, how much titanium in the skid blocks do you think will be consumed per weekend per car? :?:
๐Ÿ–๏ธโœŒ๏ธโ˜๏ธ๐Ÿ‘€๐Ÿ‘Œโœ๏ธ๐ŸŽ๐Ÿ†๐Ÿ™

Tim.Wright

Re: How much titanium will be consumed to make sparks?

Because racecar
Not the engineer at Force India

langwadt
langwadt

PlatinumZealot wrote:Titanium is not a cheap metal by any stretch. It is the metal of choice though to safely make sparks if I'm right. I have read in various places that this year's rules stipulate that titanium skid blocks are put under the front splitter to make sparks to improve the show. I wonder though, is this a wasteful initiative? If you had to estimate, how much titanium in the skid blocks do you think will be consumed per weekend per car? :?:
a couple of golf clubs ...

ian_s

i thought the FIA said they were changing to titanium as it wears quicker than whatever metal they used before. the sparks were an unintended side effect.
i'm not sure i believe that, but that was their official line

PlatinumZealot

ian_s wrote:i thought the FIA said they were changing to titanium as it wears quicker than whatever metal they used before. the sparks were an unintended side effect.
i'm not sure i believe that, but that was their official line
Was it tungsten?

R_Redding
R_Redding

Tungsten will wear less.. It takes heat better than any other metal but can be brittle unless annealed properly. Titanium has the strenght of steel with the lightness of Aluminium, so its going to wear more ..but not massively so.

They probably chose Titanium more for its brilliant white sparks ...Most metals have a red , reddish yellow ,yellow spark colour (and there are charts available to use the spark characteristics to identify lumps of unknownium) ... but Ti has extremely white sparks that dance .. just what F1 needs.

ian_s

according to https://willthef1journo.wordpress.com/2 ... ht-sparks/
Earlier this week at Silverstone, Charlie Whiting took questions from the press on a variety of topics, and his explanation of the substance and intention of the skid block regulation, when quizzed upon it by the BBCโ€™s Andrew Benson, was fascinating.

โ€œTo explain: the plank is the long bit of wood, the skids are bits of metal within the plank. The skids have formerly been made of a heavy metal, which has been very resistant to wear, and they put the skids around the points in the plank where thickness is measured. Planks have to start off at nominally 10mm thick and they canโ€™t be less than 9mm thick. However, we only measure them around certain holes in the plank. So they position the skids around those holes.

This metal is extremely heavy and when pieces detach they can be extremely harmful. We saw two punctures in Spa previously because of bits of this metal that lay in a kerb and caused damage. In a worst case scenario they could fly off and hit someone.

The purpose of making them out of titanium is threefold: Firstly, itโ€™s safer, because if they do come off they are about a third of the weight of the existing ones. Secondly, the titanium wears some 2-2.5 times more quickly than the metal currently used. Thus cars will have to be run a little bit higher to manage wear and teams wonโ€™t be able to drag them on the ground quite as much as they have in the past. The third effect is that you will see a lot more sparks, which some people think will look a little more spectacular.โ€

J.A.W.
J.A.W.

Ask V.Rossi, since his budget/mana allows him to indulge in such sparkly 'pyrotechnic' distractions during races..
"Well, we knocked the bastard off!"

Ed Hilary on being 1st to top Mt Everest,
(& 1st to do a surface traverse across Antarctica,
in good Kiwi style - riding a Massey Ferguson farm
tractor - with a few extemporised mod's to hack the task).

Silent Storm
Silent Storm

ian_s wrote:according to https://willthef1journo.wordpress.com/2 ... ht-sparks/
Earlier this week at Silverstone, Charlie Whiting took questions from the press on a variety of topics, and his explanation of the substance and intention of the skid block regulation, when quizzed upon it by the BBCโ€™s Andrew Benson, was fascinating.

โ€œTo explain: the plank is the long bit of wood, the skids are bits of metal within the plank. The skids have formerly been made of a heavy metal, which has been very resistant to wear, and they put the skids around the points in the plank where thickness is measured. Planks have to start off at nominally 10mm thick and they canโ€™t be less than 9mm thick. However, we only measure them around certain holes in the plank. So they position the skids around those holes.

This metal is extremely heavy and when pieces detach they can be extremely harmful. We saw two punctures in Spa previously because of bits of this metal that lay in a kerb and caused damage. In a worst case scenario they could fly off and hit someone.

The purpose of making them out of titanium is threefold: Firstly, itโ€™s safer, because if they do come off they are about a third of the weight of the existing ones. Secondly, the titanium wears some 2-2.5 times more quickly than the metal currently used. Thus cars will have to be run a little bit higher to manage wear and teams wonโ€™t be able to drag them on the ground quite as much as they have in the past. The third effect is that you will see a lot more sparks, which some people think will look a little more spectacular.โ€
So now that they are using titanium will this effect teams like Redbull who run their cars with some rake and closer to ground??
The ones with the least to say always want to be heard the mostโ€ฆ

rich1701
rich1701

Interesting, Nigel Mansell explains how he used sparks as a racing tactic.

http://www.motorsportretro.com/2011/03/ ... he-sparks/

Belatti
Belatti

langwadt wrote: a couple of golf clubs ...
Wood golf clubs or titanium golf clubs? Im confused as both materials would be consumed... will Tiger woods opinion count?
"You need great passion, because everything you do with great pleasure, you do well." -Juan Manuel Fangio

"I have no idols. I admire work, dedication and competence." -Ayrton Senna

Gatecrasher
Gatecrasher

rich1701 wrote:Interesting, Nigel Mansell explains how he used sparks as a racing tactic.

http://www.motorsportretro.com/2011/03/ ... he-sparks/
The vid at the end of that link is :twisted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=InjpKNialeM

Manoah2u
Manoah2u

to be honest, i could care less about the titanium skid marks. It looks cool incidentally, but if you look at that video below you see just how excessive it is. It looks unneccesary and quite frankly, dangerous. Even though there never has been conclusive evidence or proof on how Senna lost his life, the general consensus is that the car bottomed out and had it straight into the wall. Indeed, in a lot of those skidmark shots you see the cars behaving like they're half-snowboards all of a sudden. That means loss of grip and thus potentially dangerous on high speeds, especially corners.

Add to that the huge shower of burning titaniaum and you have sparks that blind the view of the driver; not the epitomy of driver safety.

imho, in a time where driver safety seems to get more dangerous lately, i'd say this is not a good thing.

above all, its just some unnecesary effect that bores after a season, because after a full season, we're used to it and it no longer entertains.

granted, it's the front wing and not the bottom wooden plate used for measuring; thankfully not, because it would make the sport even more expensive. i just don't see why this needs to be installed and why it would improve the sports' looks.

i'd only expect it to look weird as if it's badly designed / flawed on height.
"Explain the ending to F1 in football terms"
"Hamilton was beating Verstappen 7-0, then the ref decided F%$& rules, next goal wins
while also sending off 4 Hamilton players to make it more interesting"

PlatinumZealot

The skid plates is not the cause of the bottom outs.. Its the engineers running the cars too low or some suspension faliure or something..

rich1701
rich1701

Manoah2u wrote:to be honest, i could care less about the titanium skid marks. It looks cool incidentally, but if you look at that video below you see just how excessive it is. It looks unneccesary and quite frankly, dangerous. Even though there never has been conclusive evidence or proof on how Senna lost his life, the general consensus is that the car bottomed out and had it straight into the wall. Indeed, in a lot of those skidmark shots you see the cars behaving like they're half-snowboards all of a sudden. That means loss of grip and thus potentially dangerous on high speeds, especially corners.

Add to that the huge shower of burning titaniaum and you have sparks that blind the view of the driver; not the epitomy of driver safety.

imho, in a time where driver safety seems to get more dangerous lately, i'd say this is not a good thing.

above all, its just some unnecesary effect that bores after a season, because after a full season, we're used to it and it no longer entertains.

granted, it's the front wing and not the bottom wooden plate used for measuring; thankfully not, because it would make the sport even more expensive. i just don't see why this needs to be installed and why it would improve the sports' looks.

i'd only expect it to look weird as if it's badly designed / flawed on height.
I don't think you can pin the use of titanium skid blocks on Senna's death.

For me Senna's death was caused by a number of other more significant variables..

The introduction of the plank prevents total loss of airflow under the car now creating more stability in the event of bottoming out. I believe if the Fw16 had a plank early season, Senna's accident would never have happened.

I don't understand why "heavy metal" skid blocks are safer than titanium ones.