Token Tactics

Post here all non technical related topics about Formula One. This includes race results, discussions, testing analysis etc. TV coverage and other personal questions should be in Off topic chat.
dans79

Re: token tactics

lebesset wrote: why on earth should there be a penalty ??
surely equity is what is required !
how on earth are more manufacturers are to be encouraged into the sport if they can't compete !
There should be a penalty, Honda got the benefit of being able to learn form all the mistakes the other manufactures made. If it wasn't for the stupid loophole, the wouldn't be allowed to make any changes.
197 104 103 7

MOWOG

Re: Token Tactics

how on earth are more manufacturers are to be encouraged into the sport if they can't compete !
Have you seen anything in the past 10 years that suggests the major players in the sport have any interest in encouraging more manufacturers to get involved in the sport? Cuz I sure haven't. From everything I have seen, the PTB are quite happy to play in a very small and very exclusive sand box. Notice that "exclusive" can have subtle shadings of meaning.

It is said the US Senate is the most exclusive men's club in the world, but that is not true. Formula One is the most exclusive men's club in the world. #-o
Some men go crazy; some men go slow. Some men go just where they want; some men never go.

giantfan10
giantfan10

MOWOG wrote:
Have you seen anything in the past 10 years that suggests the major players in the sport have any interest in encouraging more manufacturers to get involved in the sport? Cuz I sure haven't. From everything I have seen, the PTB are quite happy to play in a very small and very exclusive sand box. Notice that "exclusive" can have subtle shadings of meaning.

It is said the US Senate is the most exclusive men's club in the world, but that is not true. Formula One is the most exclusive men's club in the world. #-o
i could care less about manufacturers entering the sport.... there is some advantage to sitting out the first year of an engine formula and getting to pick and choose which road to go down ... honda just cocked it up
they had all the mercedes data that mclaren had access to in 2014 to apply to their engine while all the other teams in their first year had to pick a direction and run with it and hope it was the best.
i feel no pity for mclaren honda.. the position they are in is a direct result of their incompetence for the lack of a better word.

Manoah2u
Manoah2u

giantfan10 wrote:
MOWOG wrote:

i could care less about manufacturers entering the sport.... there is some advantage to sitting out the first year of an engine formula and getting to pick and choose which road to go down ... honda just cocked it up
they had all the mercedes data that mclaren had access to in 2014 to apply to their engine while all the other teams in their first year had to pick a direction and run with it and hope it was the best.
i feel no pity for mclaren honda.. the position they are in is a direct result of their incompetence for the lack of a better word.
:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
"Explain the ending to F1 in football terms"
"Hamilton was beating Verstappen 7-0, then the ref decided F%$& rules, next goal wins
while also sending off 4 Hamilton players to make it more interesting"

MOWOG

Ron? Ron Dennis? Is that you? Don't hide behind that silly screen name, Ron. It's unbecoming. :wink:
Some men go crazy; some men go slow. Some men go just where they want; some men never go.

Manoah2u
Manoah2u

MOWOG wrote:Ron? Ron Dennis? Is that you? Don't hide behind that silly screen name, Ron. It's unbecoming. :wink:
"'Nando, look at all these posts about us"

"Explain the ending to F1 in football terms"
"Hamilton was beating Verstappen 7-0, then the ref decided F%$& rules, next goal wins
while also sending off 4 Hamilton players to make it more interesting"

CBeck113
CBeck113

Manoah2u wrote:
MOWOG wrote:Ron? Ron Dennis? Is that you? Don't hide behind that silly screen name, Ron. It's unbecoming. :wink:
"'Nando, look at all these posts about us"

"Not the hand, Ron, not the hand"
“Strange women lying in ponds distributing swords is no basis for a system of government. Supreme executive power derives from a mandate from the masses, not from some farcical aquatic ceremony!” Monty Python and the Holy Grail

diffuser

wow...just slightly off topic.

diffuser

dans79 wrote:
There should be a penalty, Honda got the benefit of being able to learn form all the mistakes the other manufactures made. If it wasn't for the stupid loophole, the wouldn't be allowed to make any changes.
One could argue that having a new PU and having to go through the year with just 4 engines is a penalty. I'd say there is a 50% chance that McLaren/Honda will take AT LEAST one Engine Penalty a some point in 2015. It's already pretty obvious they're not gonna be competitive till, if they're lucky, late in the year. How much more do you want to penalize them?

On the True topic of this Forum... I can wait to find out how many Tokens each team will have used. I was wondering if that roll back that Ferrari is rumoured to be taking on its PU....If it will be putting some of the tokens back on the table.

BlackSwan
BlackSwan

Hi,

The Italian Gazzetta, talks about remaining token per each motor company...

They say that Ferrari has 10-12 tk left, while Reanult and Mercedes have spent more (aroud 25, so 7-8 left).

http://www.gazzetta.it/Formula-1/13-03- ... 9269.shtml

iotar__

dans79 wrote:
In case you didn't notice there are two huge penalties of starting hybrid engine later:

1. 20 full races + all the test laps of experience
2. The whole homologation process (before even token fake "loophole") and therfore scope for imrovement or replacing components based on real life experience. You are a year later with your first engine on track and yet the same rules apply to you as for 2 year engines.

Token situation is in 2015 is another manufactured penalty for Honda. Made up, fake loophole to help couple of teams.

mertol

Nothing can stop a manufacturer to test and develop their engine for years before entering F1. This one year delay could also be a huge advantage - imagine if Honda entered with a super powerful and reliable engine right from the start and the other manufacturers were stuck with what they have and no way to improve it.

giantfan10
giantfan10

mertol wrote:Nothing can stop a manufacturer to test and develop their engine for years before entering F1. This one year delay could also be a huge advantage - imagine if Honda entered with a super powerful and reliable engine right from the start and the other manufacturers were stuck with what they have and no way to improve it.
my point exactly... now because honda screwed it up all the apologists want a do over : )

lebesset
lebesset

mertol wrote:Nothing can stop a manufacturer to test and develop their engine for years before entering F1. This one year delay could also be a huge advantage - imagine if Honda entered with a super powerful and reliable engine right from the start and the other manufacturers were stuck with what they have and no way to improve it.
would be the first time in the history of F1 if that happened
didn't even happen back in the days of unlimited testing
to the optimist a glass is half full ; to the pessimist a glass is half empty ; to the F1 engineer the glass is twice as big as it needs to be

ChrisF1
ChrisF1

lebesset wrote:
would be the first time in the history of F1 if that happened
didn't even happen back in the days of unlimited testing
BMW turned up with one of the best engines on the grid in 2000...