Token Tactics

Post here all non technical related topics about Formula One. This includes race results, discussions, testing analysis etc. TV coverage and other personal questions should be in Off topic chat.
giantfan10

Re: Token Tactics

mertol wrote:How much power difference equals 1sec per lap? If they indeed have less power is it still more than Ferrari? Why do you think it is more plausible that williams have good aero than that they have the same power as mercedes when they have not been a top team in recent years (before the super merc engine). I believe this and last year williams still had an average car just like before that and were only good because of the superb engine.
Power delivery and peak horsepower.. 2 things controlled by software....im willing to bet half my salary that williams is not running the same software mercedes is...remember mclaren last year complaining about not getting access to tweak software they got from mercedes last year? Mercedes would be fools if they gave the same spec engine to williams... no way no how..
i dont think williams has good aero. I think they lack downforce which explains them always being close to the top of the speed charts

mertol

Even so the difference because of that software would be small wouldn't it? Nowhere near 1 sec/lap. If I was mercedes I also wouldn't give my software to the team developing honda engines.

Rikhart

mertol wrote:Even so the difference because of that software would be small wouldn't it? Nowhere near 1 sec/lap. If I was mercedes I also wouldn't give my software to the team developing honda engines.
Software is pretty much everything in these super complex powertrains!

Moose

Rikhart wrote:
mertol wrote:Even so the difference because of that software would be small wouldn't it? Nowhere near 1 sec/lap. If I was mercedes I also wouldn't give my software to the team developing honda engines.
Software is pretty much everything in these super complex powertrains!
Only two years ago Mercedes were 3-4 seconds a lap faster than Williams, purely down to aerodynamics. Is it really so hard to believe that today's 1 second gap could similarly be that Williams' chassis just isn't as good as Mercedes'.

lebesset

just read cyril's comments about the renault power unit

in essence he said we have made genuine progress during the winter but chimped the software ,didn't say they have moved backwards but said that was how it seemed
to the optimist a glass is half full ; to the pessimist a glass is half empty ; to the F1 engineer the glass is twice as big as it needs to be

turbof1

A bit more light on Renault's specific case on how the unreliability will have a massive influence on token tactics:
http://www.f1technical.net/news/19976
#AeroFrodo

lebesset

turbof1 wrote:A bit more light on Renault's specific case on how the unreliability will have a massive influence on token tactics:
thanks for that andy , a very clear explanation of the position , not just for renault but possibly for the others as well [ one particularly thinks of honda ]
I have to admit I wasn't aware of the position for fitting uprated parts for reliability ..that's a bodyblow !
can I presume that , when it comes to extra units [ and there are clearly going to be some ] , as many reliability upgrades as required are permitted ?

how about starting a poll for how many units honda end up using this year ...into double figures maybe ?
to the optimist a glass is half full ; to the pessimist a glass is half empty ; to the F1 engineer the glass is twice as big as it needs to be

Harsha

turbof1 wrote:A bit more light on Renault's specific case on how the unreliability will have a massive influence on token tactics:
Great info mate, I wonder how Mercedes is planning to use their tokens considering how ahead they are interms of competition and when they do so how much advantage they can gain

turbof1

lebesset wrote:
thanks for that andy , a very clear explanation of the position , not just for renault but possibly for the others as well [ one particularly thinks of honda ]
I have to admit I wasn't aware of the position for fitting uprated parts for reliability ..that's a bodyblow !
can I presume that , when it comes to extra units [ and there are clearly going to be some ] , as many reliability upgrades as required are permitted ?

how about starting a poll for how many units honda end up using this year ...into double figures maybe ?
Yes Honda is pretty much in the same boat as Renault. However, Honda has different goals and approached the season very differently.

While Renault was in the position to choose whether or not they run parts which could pose a risk, Honda made the calculated choice to put the bulk of the development last year on performance and not on reliabiity, because Honda was very much limited by time. Hence they knew before the season started they'd probably be picking up penalties latter on, even though they try to avoid it.

Renault on the other hand took a risk which did not paid off.

For updates, being either reliability or tokens, you are allowed to introduce as many updates as you want (of course if your tokens are all used up, that options drops away). However, the components you change through these updates, need each time to get a new allocation.

In a most ideal way, you'd want to do both reliability updates and token updates in one change, and right after the previous allocation did its mileage. Since you are applying both types changes at once, you only need to use one new allocation. Mercedes and Ferrari are currently in that position. However, Renault obviously cannot wait until Spain to introduce reliability upgrades. They need them now, and the token upgrades will not be developed yet, meaning they can't do both in one allocation.

An exception would be of course if the reliability issues for instance are solely down on the ICE, while the tokens are applied on the mgu-k.

@Harsha: Mercedes basically can play the waiting game. However, I previously was under the impression that they could save the tokens until the very end of the year, not even racing them and instead using them in tandem with the 2016 tokens (you'd be effectively saving up extra tokens for 2016). However, I now believe that is not possible. Tokens are only used if they are effectively applied on a power unit that is afterwards used. If they don't race the tokens in 2015, they'll loose them.

A smart way could be to go the last race, introduce 5th allocations of the components with the tokens, collect the penalty and switch back to the 4th allocations. This way they can design a 2016 power unit that would break down with just the tokens of 2015, yet would greatly be of advantage in tandem with the 2016 tokens. Mercedes will probably have the title in the bag before the last race, so they aren't really loosing out with collecting that penalty.
#AeroFrodo

Harsha

@turbof1
Considering Reliability updates are allowed if Renault couldn't use their remaining tokens better, they will loose out to Honda who will surely come strong with 9 tokens +Reliability updates
All in all Renault put them selves in a big mess
About Ferrari what could be their strategy, They are not looking too bad right now but not at Merc League either

dans79

Harsha wrote: Great info mate, I wonder how Mercedes is planning to use their tokens considering how ahead they are interms of competition and when they do so how much advantage they can gain
They won't use them until they absolutely have to. I have read/heard someone say that they will wait till after the last race of the season to use the last of their 2015 tokens, because the rules don't stipulate that a homoginated engine actually has to be raced. So basically they would be using the leftover 2015 tokens as 2016 tokens.
197 104 103 7

lebesset

Yes Honda is pretty much in the same boat as Renault. However, Honda has different goals and approached the season very differently.

in the sense that both have reliability problems i agree with that , but not otherwise ...it is self evident that they don't have different goals , they just need totally different strategies to achieve that goal , with different time scales

Renault need a quick fix as you infer , but Honda have time ; I can only reiterate that I believe they they should consume PU's in pursuit of a winning formula ; I originally thought that it was unfair that they were allowed only 4 PU's this season , but now I don't believe it matters ..to me it is clear that they should just keep upgrading this season whatever the penalty and irrespective of how often they start at the back ; if I understand correctly the team is the arbiter of when they need to change , they just have to pay the penalty ; so testing to destruction so to speak is the way to go ; side benefit will be chassis development can be done in conjunction , regarding each race as a test session ; by seasons end I would expect a fast reliable car , bearing in mind the combined resources of McLaren and Honda

the only thing i fear is that the japanese mentality will not accept the 'shame' of failing as the best way to succeed

turbof1

I added a small glossary at the bottom of the article. A lot of terms have been used and it has been rightfully pointed out to me it can get confusing!
*Glossary

Updating/Upgrading: term used to enhance the power unit, with either its reliability or its performance being enhanced.
Tokens: a regulatory point system for updating the power unit. Teams are only allowed to spend a certain amount of these points throughout the year. Usually utilised only for performance since teams are allowed to update reliability outside this system.
Component: A power unit consists out of 6 parts or components: The Internal Combustion Engine (ICE), the Electronics Control (EC), the Motor Generator Unit-Kinetic (MGU-K), the Motor Generator Unit-Heat (MGU-H), The Turbo Charger (TC) and The Battery.
Spec: Short for specification. The term is used on the architecture and performance of a component. When a component receives upgrades, either being reliability updates or token updates, the component changes to a different spec.
Allocation: a PU component or components currently in use or to be used in the season. A car can use 4 allocations of each component throughout the season, with further allocations delivering a penalty. Current allocations in use cannot be changed through either tokens or reliability upgrades, but future allocations which have not been used yet can still be changed. When no changes are made from one allocation to the other, the 2 allocation are the same spec.
#AeroFrodo

lebesset

if reports are to be believed manor are now able to start their ferrari pu's and expect to be able to take part at least in qually at the next race
if I understand correctly they have the 2014 layout as the modified 2015 layout won't fit

but do this pu's have any upgrades invoving the use of tokens ?

pob

Manor are only allowed to used the 2014 PU with agreement of all the teams, they won't be allowed to do a separate upgrade plan too. However, if they find their chassis is competitive, it could be worthwhile to switch to the same upgraded PU as Ferrari if they can afford it and are able to modify their car to fit it.