Token Tactics

Post here all non technical related topics about Formula One. This includes race results, discussions, testing analysis etc. TV coverage and other personal questions should be in Off topic chat.
lebesset
lebesset

Re: Token Tactics

pob wrote:Manor are only allowed to used the 2014 PU with agreement of all the teams, they won't be allowed to do a separate upgrade plan too. However, if they find their chassis is competitive, it could be worthwhile to switch to the same upgraded PU as Ferrari if they can afford it and are able to modify their car to fit it.
manor are currently using the 2014 chassis ; the 2015 pu won't fit that it seems
to the optimist a glass is half full ; to the pessimist a glass is half empty ; to the F1 engineer the glass is twice as big as it needs to be

turbof1

They stated they'll eventually introduce a full fletch 2015 chassis later on. That chassis will be build for the 2015 PU.

Token tactics have gotten more possibilities btw, since PU allocations have been increased to 5, meaning 1 extra moment in time to possibly introduce tokens.
#AeroFrodo

pob

Although that increase to 5 PUs still needs to be ratified by the FIA.

turbof1

pob wrote:Although that increase to 5 PUs still needs to be ratified by the FIA.
The WMSC you mean; the FIA has a few members in that council with I believe veto rights though. But they can only accept it or deny it; usually they accept such things.
#AeroFrodo

pob

All media articles say FIA rather than WMSC or Strategy Group which doesn't make sense to me either, unless Bernie/CVC didn't agree to the change.
It's also unclear whether it will be a fifth race PU or just an extra PU for Friday running.

kptaylor
kptaylor

http://www.fia.com/sites/default/files/ ... onents.pdf

With the above report, how can one tell if tokens were used or if these replacement components were new already-homologated items? Token tactics are hard to determine if the FIA doesn't release data.

RicME85

I still don't understand how the 15 Ferrari PU won't fit in the 14 Manor chassis, I thought fixing points were specified in the regulations..?

RicME85

This from Wiki:

The rules dictated the use of a ninety-degree engine bank, with fixed crankshaft and mounting points for the chassis

hollus

I guess the exhaust and the ancillaries won't fit. Manor could redesign the car to accept those, and I guess that is exactly what they are doing... but have not yet done.
Rivals, not enemies.

PlatinumZealot

RicME85 wrote:I still don't understand how the 15 Ferrari PU won't fit in the 14 Manor chassis, I thought fixing points were specified in the regulations..?
It can fit but it would be at . Significsnt commutment of resources which manor does not have. The installation would be a bit like the MP4-29H .. Very DIY looking.
πŸ–οΈβœŒοΈβ˜οΈπŸ‘€πŸ‘ŒβœοΈπŸŽπŸ†πŸ™

ChrisF1
ChrisF1

Apologies if this has already been covered, but has the change to 5 power units been ratified by the FIA or whoever needed to sign off and rubber stamp it?

Secondly, if Manor change to a 2015 PU after say 8 races, and have used 2x 2014 PU's, do they then get 2 of the 2015 PU's or is there perhaps some grey area in the rules they can exploit to get a full allocation - we know that the FIA are pretty crap at making engine rules at the moment!

Abarth

Token for 2016

Sorry I have had a strange moment.

Reading this:
http://www.autosport.com/news/report.ph ... 1414421777
Honda will, however, enjoy the benefit of using 32 tokens to improve its engines throughout 2016, when rivals will only be able to use 25 tokens.
Is this really true?
Is token allocation per year something relative to the season when a new manufacturer entered?

According to this paper, it isn't....
http://www.fia.com/file/22782/download?token=0yN48RON

pob

According to the regs the tokens are done by calendar year, not by years from first homologation, so next year Honda will get the same as the others.

Abarth

pob wrote:According to the regs the tokens are done by calendar year, not by years from first homologation, so next year Honda will get the same as the others.
Thanks.
Thats how I understand it, however, Autosport claims otherwise.

Strange.....

pob

That Autosport article was written when it wasn't clear how Honda were going to be handled (before they were allowed tokens for this season).