FOM graphics

Post here all non technical related topics about Formula One. This includes race results, discussions, testing analysis etc. TV coverage and other personal questions should be in Off topic chat.
timbo
timbo

FOM graphics

So there was a glitch with standings in FP1, ok.
Now, I've see some very weird behavior during onboards -- that "circle" thing which appeared last year, I hated it already, but now it became even worse! It looks like throttle behaves like braking -- i.e. on/off only!
How you like that?
Full throttle right after the apex at 2nd gear and that much lock? Yeah baby!

And how about this?
Full throttle and brakes! Yay!

Actually the Button's vid leaves some hope it's all just a glitch and might get better. But really it's a shabby job...
And on other racing series they managed to show telemetry with correct brake application, FOM again is limping here :roll:

radosav
radosav

Re: FOM graphics

Pinnacle of motorsport ! :roll:

Moose
Moose

Note, brakes are near impossible to represent any other way, because there's no maximum breaking that they can use a percentage of to represent in a progress bar.

It's also entirely possible that button was both on the throttle and the breaks at the same time.

Pandamasque

timbo wrote:http://s22.postimg.org/jf1yxzb75/fom_but.jpg
Full throttle and brakes! Yay!
So that's why it's so slow.

Moose
Moose

I actually really like the new graphics. The only thing I'd like to see is the opacity of the background turned up a little - the white can get a little hard to read over the gravel trap.

timbo
timbo

Moose wrote:Note, brakes are near impossible to represent any other way, because there's no maximum breaking that they can use a percentage of to represent in a progress bar.
Somehow they manage to do so in other series, it doesn't have to be perfect. From 0:15
[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ehZsfG6M6MI[/youtube]
Moose wrote:It's also entirely possible that button was both on the throttle and the breaks at the same time.
But on full throttle and full brakes. And if you've seen the lap (the link is in MP4-30 thread) you'd see he'd never let go off the throttle (macca drivers need all the throttle they can get, yeah :lol: )

SectorOne

Moose wrote:Note, brakes are near impossible to represent any other way, because there's no maximum breaking that they can use a percentage of to represent in a progress bar.
No it´s not. MotoGP among other race series use this perfectly fine.

Also worht pointint out the throttle now is dynamic and not on or off. I think they are just having some niggling issues with the new HUD.
"If the only thing keeping a person decent is the expectation of divine reward, then brother that person is a piece of sh*t"

Sevach
Sevach

It's not an innovation in MotoGP either, it has been like that for many many years.

bdr529

radosav wrote:Pinnacle of motorsport ! :roll:
Yes indeed, nothing but the best :D I did notice yesterday they finely got a Youtube channel
https://www.youtube.com/user/Formula1/featured

ScottB
ScottB

I noticed the new graphics, and encountered Formula E for the first time yesterday, which had similar problems, but even more extreme...

Now, I have a decent sized TV (42 inch) and sit at what I would think is an average distance away, I have decent eyesight too, to clarify!

I can see what they've been trying to do, but not much thought has been given to colour contrast, or beyond that, accessibility (in web design terms, ensuring that the colour contrast between say, text and the background it sits on are legible, not just for people with regular eyesight, but those with say, colour blindness and the like, too). The worst example was the fastest lap notifier; dark purple text on a dark grey background... I struggled to read it! A number of what I'm going to call team identifier colours, like Red Bull's, were also very hard to see.

I do like that they seem to have accepted that everyone has a widescreen TV and moved everything out to the edges, but they could do with taking text sizes up and reworking some colour usage before they start thinking about the more complex aspects. The aforementioned Formula E on screen stuff was even worse; light blue backgrounds with tiny white text everywhere!

Moose
Moose

ScottB wrote:I noticed the new graphics, and encountered Formula E for the first time yesterday, which had similar problems, but even more extreme...

Now, I have a decent sized TV (42 inch) and sit at what I would think is an average distance away, I have decent eyesight too, to clarify!

I can see what they've been trying to do, but not much thought has been given to colour contrast, or beyond that, accessibility (in web design terms, ensuring that the colour contrast between say, text and the background it sits on are legible, not just for people with regular eyesight, but those with say, colour blindness and the like, too). The worst example was the fastest lap notifier; dark purple text on a dark grey background... I struggled to read it! A number of what I'm going to call team identifier colours, like Red Bull's, were also very hard to see.

I do like that they seem to have accepted that everyone has a widescreen TV and moved everything out to the edges, but they could do with taking text sizes up and reworking some colour usage before they start thinking about the more complex aspects. The aforementioned Formula E on screen stuff was even worse; light blue backgrounds with tiny white text everywhere!
Yep, some of the colour choices are terrible.

The background needs to be more opaque, RedBull's team identifier needs to be much more purple so that you can tell the difference between them and toro roso. The fastest lap graphic needs to keep the text of the time in white, while simply saying Fastest Lap in purple.