2015 German GP - DEAD..............

Post here all non technical related topics about Formula One. This includes race results, discussions, testing analysis etc. TV coverage and other personal questions should be in Off topic chat.
WaikeCU

Re: 2015 German GP - DEAD..............

What about the Lausitzring?

Kinda feels like the European Interlagos sort of. I wouldn't mind seeing them race here though.

FW17

Lausitzring has no history

Vasconia

Mandrake wrote:Last year, tickets were very pricey. The uncertainty about the cars sound was enough for me to discard thinking about visiting the place.

Secondly, The Nürburgring is a very remote location, you need to travel quite a bit to get there, the last kms on rural roads which are always crowded during such events.

Lastly, the cost for the event was higher than the return. Why would anyone host a race under these circumstances?

F1 gets less and less attention in Germany. The races are boring, the TV coverage is drastically reduced. (Example: in the past the Australian GP would be broadcasted live at 6am and then reaired at 2pm for those that did not want to get up early. Now it's just the live coverage and some summary on a advertisment-heavy small network). Even in AMS the coverage is reduced and the tone is very negative towards F1. Even though it's a Mercedes at front, people do not "identify" the car with the brand. After all it's a driver's sport, people cheer for drivers mostly, not for a british built car with a Mercedes Logo on it.

I'm not surprised and not sad about this. I'm only sad about the fact, that Bernie and whoever else are in charge are not even remotely bothered by this. After all the empty spot can be filled with a race in Timbuktu who will gladly pay 40m$ to have a race in the country.......
I can see what you mean, but wasnt the situation the same in the past? I mean the bad location, the expensive tickets, the lack of "pure" German car,etc. And the fans used to go in a greater amount to the GP.

WaikeCU

WilliamsF1 wrote:Lausitzring has no history
Yes, but every track that has been raced on for the very first time, doesn't have history either. History can be created though, if it turns out to be a success. I think it can provide a third option for the German GP. Of course I would have liked the Hockenheimring or Nurburgring to be the venue, but if it's really not possible, you have to look at alternatives that fit the bill for F1 cars. I think the circuit can create some exciting racing.

FW17

WaikeCU wrote: I think it can provide a third option for the German GP.
Third option should be Sachsenring

sjns

Why is everyone killing Hockenheim? Aren't they just not able to host the race this year? They should be up next year again..

Vettel Maggot

Why does that matter, no track had any history until it hosted its first race.

If this is a prerequisite then we would have missed out such wonderful tracks such as Yas Marina, Korea, Phoenix, Caeser's Palace carpark, Valencia and Bahrain. Oh wait..

Moose

Vettel Maggot wrote:
Why does that matter, no track had any history until it hosted its first race.

If this is a prerequisite then we would have missed out such wonderful tracks such as Yas Marina, Korea, Phoenix, Caeser's Palace carpark, Valencia and Bahrain. Oh wait..
On the other hand, we'd also have missed out on Spa, Monza, Silverstone, CotA and CdGV ;)

Jonnycraig

WilliamsF1 wrote:
WaikeCU wrote: I think it can provide a third option for the German GP.
Third option should be Sachsenring
Sachsenring is a Grade 2 circuit so cannot host F1.

FW17

I am not sure if Sachsenring applied for a grade 1, knowing the FIA the fee for a grade 1 could be insane as it is requirement only for F1.

MotoGP requirements are always more demanding than F1, they even refused to go through bridge corner at silverstone as they felt it unsafe there by the entire new arena section.

Gravel traps vs paved runoffs is a major differentiation but until a few years back gravel was completely ok with F1

MercedesAMGSpy

Last year only 50.000 Germans visited Hockenheim, 100.000 Australians and 120.000 British fans visited Melbourne and Silverstone. Germany have Mercedes, 4X times world champion Vettel, Rosberg as title contender and Nico Hülkenberg as young talent. This is still not enough and last year's event was painful to watch, with the empty stands. Then it's better not to organize a GP.

Jonnycraig

WilliamsF1 wrote:I am not sure if Sachsenring applied for a grade 1, knowing the FIA the fee for a grade 1 could be insane as it is requirement only for F1.

MotoGP requirements are always more demanding than F1, they even refused to go through bridge corner at silverstone as they felt it unsafe there by the entire new arena section.

Gravel traps vs paved runoffs is a major differentiation but until a few years back gravel was completely ok with F1
The point is that when it was last inspected it was deemed Grade 2. In order to now host an F1 race, it would need to spend a lot on circuit upgrades to satisfy Grade 1, pay for a re-inspection and re-grading, before paying a large fee to host a race that neither Hockenheim or Nurburgring can turn a profit on.

It's a non starter.

TAG

Had Bernie's offer to purchase of the Nurburgring been accepted does anyone think there would be no German GP in 2015? The amount of water the CVC can squeeze out of the rock is drying up.
माकडाच्या हाती कोलीत

FW17

If Bernie had bought Nurburgring, there definitely would not going to have been a GP at Nurburgring.

Bernie does not have any interest for promoting events (atleast in Europe).

He owns Paul Ricard, do we have French GP?

Jonnycraig

TAG wrote:Had Bernie's offer to purchase of the Nurburgring been accepted does anyone think there would be no German GP in 2015? The amount of water the CVC can squeeze out of the rock is drying up.
There definitely wont ever be a race at a BE circuit as he would have to find the hosting fee to FOM and then undertake the race promotion to try and recoup his costs.