Renault return speculation

Post here all non technical related topics about Formula One. This includes race results, discussions, testing analysis etc. TV coverage and other personal questions should be in Off topic chat.
Moose
Moose

Re: Renault return speculation

dans79 wrote:
Moose wrote:In your linked article - market share - 0.03%

Yup... no one buys Infiniti's cars.
Maybe not in Europe, buy they are everywhere in the US...
And where do you think F1's primary market is ;)

How many people in the US do you think bought an Infiniti because an F1 team had their badge on the car?

dans79

Moose wrote:
How many people in the US do you think bought an Infiniti because an F1 team had their badge on the car?
You can say the same thing about any sponsor, and any country though.
197 104 103 7

Manoah2u
Manoah2u

Moose wrote:
dans79 wrote:
Moose wrote:In your linked article - market share - 0.03%

Yup... no one buys Infiniti's cars.
Maybe not in Europe, buy they are everywhere in the US...
And where do you think F1's primary market is ;)

how many people in the EU have bought a BOSS suit because it's on a Mclaren?
how many people in the EU have bought White & Mackey Whisky because it's on a Force India?

Obviously, sponsors feel like it has use and benefit to put it on; there will have been committed profound marketing
research before an agreement is reached.

Likewise, Infinity has been placed on the RedBulls for a reason.
Renault claims they feel like they're not getting 'as much recognition' as they were getting or hoping for as they
had before.

It's simple; before, it was RedBull Racing - Renault. So people thought ; Redbull & Renault.
When seeing a RB car, and there is no secondary brand plastered over the car, it was Redbull - ah renault.

now, it's Infiniti RedBull Racing - Renault. But when you see a car driving, you see Infiniti even more present
than RedBull itself, apart from the colourscheme and the big bull.
So, what people see is a Infiniti RedBull, and logically - quite naturally - don't think about the fact that they
actually run Renault engines, because you already noticed a automotive brand - infiniti.

That's what Renault isn't liking so much.

It's like Arrivabene signs a -shock- deal by naming the Scuderia team; FIAT Scuderia - Ferrari.
Then leaving the car with tiny spots of 'Ferrari', and plaster "FIAT" over the entire rear wing, front wing,
and all over the sidepods. And to top it off; the car turns a darker red with a bright blue or a pink patch to
accentuate where you see 'FIAT' on the car.

The result? people see a FIAT, not a Ferrari.

it's an extreme example, but it's what Renault is unhappy about.

IMHO though, i think Renault shouldn't complain too much though, they stepped back/out by themselves as a works
team a couple of years ago shortly after the whole crashgate issue and they managed to bring an underperforming engine to the F1 teams.
"Explain the ending to F1 in football terms"
"Hamilton was beating Verstappen 7-0, then the ref decided F%$& rules, next goal wins
while also sending off 4 Hamilton players to make it more interesting"

Manoah2u
Manoah2u

dans79 wrote:
Moose wrote:
You can say the same thing about any sponsor, and any country though.
exactly.
"Explain the ending to F1 in football terms"
"Hamilton was beating Verstappen 7-0, then the ref decided F%$& rules, next goal wins
while also sending off 4 Hamilton players to make it more interesting"

ChrisF1
ChrisF1

Drove an Infiniti Q50 for work last week, very unimpressive. Preferred my Audi if I am honest.

Back to the topic though, Infinity would mean nothing to me if not for Red Bull.

Richard
Richard

Manoah2u wrote: No, it was NOT renault's choice, it was RBR who made a deal with infinity where Renault outspokenly was not pleased with.
That puzzles me. Are you saying RBR did a deal with Infinti (43% owned by Renault) to put an Infiniti logo on a Renault powered car behind Renault's back ?

I'm pretty sure Renault blessed the deal with their eyes wide open, and equally they'll have the influence to switch to another brand in the Nissan-Renault alliance if they felt that was a better option.

I agree there is a risk of brand dilution by trying to promote both Renault and Infiniti. Maybe there was an internal political need to give Nissan side a bit of F1 fun? Or maybe there is a genuine halo effect going on in the oil rich countries that dominate F1 nowadays that us traditional fans aren't aware of? Although I can't see it helping in the EU where Infinti sales are so pitiful.

dans79

http://www.grandprix.com/ns/ns30327.html
When asked if it is therefore difficult to hear Newey say the only problem with the RB11 is the engine, Abiteboul admitted: "Yes. It's hard to have a partner who lies.

"Adrian is a charming gentleman and an outstanding engineer," he added, "but he has spent his life criticising his engine manufacturers. And he's too old to change.
At the rate they are firing broadsides at each other, I can't see this partnership lasting the season.
197 104 103 7

Jolle
Jolle

There is different types of marketing when it comes to sponsoring. For Boss, it's not in the first place to sell their suits because you see the logo on the cars, it's more that they can use Hamilton and Rosberg in their adverts plus the cars. Being able to take important suppliers and customers onto their f1 business club is very important.

Many years ago the brand XTC was on the (i believe) Williams, only so they could make the deal that I would be sold at all Elf gas stations (also a partner from Williams at the time). Anderson Consultancy just had their name there to use the paddoc as their business club.

Infinity and Renault of course made the deal with RedBull together. Renault/Nissan is investing to get Infinity into Europe (at what they are failing at) plus, outside Europe not many people buy Renaults. It is a bit like Alfa on the Ferrari, but then the other way round...

AlainProst
AlainProst

If Renault come back as a full team, it would cost him about 400 millions of euros more than if they didn't have sold their team to GENII...

multisync
multisync

Interesting Renault are trying to smoke screen RB when they must know full darn well Renault are in quite advanced negotiations with at least one team. Unless it's all bluff and double bluff?

Richard
Richard

The TP press conference in a nutshell:
  • Torro Rosso - We'd love to be a manufacturer team
  • Renault - We are very sorry for our comments in Melbourne, both us and RB said silly things that we don't mean. We are working together as a team.
  • Red Bull - We are very sorry for our comments in Melbourne, both us and Renault said silly things that we don't mean. We are working together as a team.

Sombrero
Sombrero

http://www.racer.com/f1/item/114857-ren ... leaving-f1

All open from complete return to complete leaving...

Hail22

Sombrero wrote:http://www.racer.com/f1/item/114857-ren ... leaving-f1

All open from complete return to complete leaving...
Just like when Bridgestone pulled out of Formula 1, it depends on what benefit to a supplier / competitor is when they compete in Formula 1. A great example is Goodyear Tires, they had great success in Formula 1 and left on a high which has lead to a very strong return in their performance tire market (Goodyear F1 Asymetrical 2 tires).

The reason I'm giving a point of view on tires is it can also reflect on engines, teams etc etc. If Renault perform badly and their engines continually fail, they fear it'll reflect on production / post production service downturn of their road going vehicles which could hurt their point of sales in the new car market sector.

If Renault pull out this year (although doubtful) it'd mean the end of possibly two teams (Red Bull and Toro Rosso) which Formula 1 could ill afford and I hope does not occur.
If someone said to me that you can have three wishes, my first would have been to get into racing, my second to be in Formula 1, my third to drive for Ferrari.

Gilles Villeneuve

Sombrero
Sombrero

I think Renault is contractly bound with RB and STR until the end of 2016.

From what we saw it's possible that RB is looking for another engine supplier (or a proper engine ?).

That's probably why Renault is considering buying a team to "stay" in F-1 after 2016...

There's also a planned engine rule changes for 2017 that could help both Honda and Renault.

FW17

They seem to be interested in buying Manor

Guess the $30 budget set by CG is true......................