New Refueling formula - Technical regulation - the Fuel pod

Post here all non technical related topics about Formula One. This includes race results, discussions, testing analysis etc. TV coverage and other personal questions should be in Off topic chat.
Just_a_fan

Re: New Refueling formula - Technical regulation - the Fuel

Seems to be lots of fuel leaking from that arrangement. Not sure we want to be seeing this again do we?
If you are more fortunate than others, build a larger table not a taller fence.

Vettel Maggot

Yes, but that was caused by cheating and tampering with the rig.

Manoah2u

Vettel Maggot wrote:Yes, but that was caused by cheating and tampering with the rig.
and there would be 'no way' that would happen nowadays, now would it? :roll: because 'cheating' is not something done to gain an advantage, offcourse :roll:

[ flexiwings, anybody? driving aids? ]
"Explain the ending to F1 in football terms"
"Hamilton was beating Verstappen 7-0, then the ref decided F%$& rules, next goal wins
while also sending off 4 Hamilton players to make it more interesting"

ringo

It's a simple problem, make two handles on the fuel pod and have two men hoist them over the car.
There will be no fuel leakage if the nozzles have to lock into the car first and this pulls in the clutch of the car.
For Sure!!

PlatinumZealot

bdr529 wrote:
PlatinumZealot wrote:Interesting picture. Everyone notice how burly the fuel man is? Definitely not a job for pansies. That's the same sort of guys who would be loading the fuel pods. They do have a choice of loading less than the full compliment of fuel. If your race is a two stop, something 20 liters in each pod. Or 40 liters in one if you don't want to bother load both sides. It is quite flexible.
45 liters/12 gallons of gas in one of the nascar refueling cans would weigh around 34 kg/74 lbs.
Use two guys to lift it and problem solved.
πŸ–οΈβœŒοΈβ˜οΈπŸ‘€πŸ‘ŒβœοΈπŸŽπŸ†πŸ™

Sniffit

Have a pump system like they used to but with added safety.
An electronic contact by the refueling cap on the car and one on the hose muzzle. When connected the pump provide fuel, when disconnected the pump shut-off and an electronic valve opens to a vacuum chamber which "consume" the fuel still in the hose.

Speng

Even if refueling were allowed (which I'm all for by the way) the teams would still try to save fuel. In other racing series where refuelling is allowed they still save fuel to save on stops and reduce average car weight over the race which is fast. I don't like how the big the cars are and how heavy they are at the start of the race which tends to make tire strategy more predictable.

PlatinumZealot

Good point.
I was not addressing the boredom of fuel saving per say.. but the general excitement of the race.

How much fuel would need to be saved?

We can compare stints:

1st stint
- Car weight no re-fueling= 825kg
- Car weight re-fueling = 740kg to 750kg.
Increase in fuel efficiency = 10%
Pace increase = 3 to 4 seconds a lap faster.
On average 10% more power can be utilized or car can be lightened even more.
The fuel stint length can be increased as one wishes. Because of the generous size of the fuel pods the first stint can be about 3/4 of the race.

Monaco can be fun with this one...

PlatinumZealot

Good news!!

http://www.f1technical.net/forum/viewto ... 92#p581892

I hope someone important sees my idea! 8)

ESPImperium

Thank god, get rid of that awful fuel flow meter. Never been a fan of it.

My idea is this for refuelling in 2017, as F1 should be about efficiency and talking up the technology it uses;

* Limit each car to 150Kg of fuel for Quali/Race.
* Each car must start Quali with 30KG of fuel on board. - Slower guys can boost with more fuel to make grid mix up, fast guys would have to conserve in Q1 or Q2, but also do a fuel burn in Q3. More cars on track, and Saturday is a feature that forms the back drop to the race
* Limit the fuel tanks to 100Kg maximum.
* Teams can refuel cars with two 20KG tanks at a fuel stop - Tyres and fuel together is a no-no, Tyres at once and fuel only at once. You have to remember that Health & Safety Law needs to be taken into account here. The recommended weight for some employers is 15KG with others being 23KG. So a sensible weight must be put here.
* Fuel Stops can only be taken after 50% race distance. However the last 10% of the race must have no fuel stops.

This means cars could be fully loaded, then take 20KG on with 10 laps to go. However, the guys further back could take a stop and take extra fuel, do the chase down and finish higher.

I am a firm believer, that some races should be about fuel, and others about tyres, and others about balls to the wall. So its all about getting this balance correct so that the F1 World Champion and Constructors Title should be about the most all rounded driver with the best all rounded car. Its about mixing the the best parts of Senna with the best parts of Prost to make F1 a must watch sport.

Moose

I'd actually like to see tyre and fuel stops (together) back - for safety reasons.

We've seen way too many loosely attached wheels recently because the wheel guys don't get enough time to do their job. Adding fueling along side would fix that.

PlatinumZealot

Nice Ideas. Expensive. I think they will get more attention in the 2017 rule changes thread though. 8)

ESPImperium

Moose wrote:I'd actually like to see tyre and fuel stops (together) back - for safety reasons.

We've seen way too many loosely attached wheels recently because the wheel guys don't get enough time to do their job. Adding fueling along side would fix that.
+1 for the loose wheel issue. But i think Fuel stops and Tyre stops need to be kept separate. For strategic reasons and also for safety.

Ive always been a advocate for the cars to have wheel torque sensors to make sure the wheels are properly attached before the car is released. However, this would mean in my opinion a standardised hub, and wheel gun for the teams. Costs would be reduced if one team manufactured them for the entire grid, but it would also mean slower pit stop times. And when it comes to pit stops, id have the amount of guys reduced to 12 for a tyre stop.

Refuelling and Tyre stops would make the sport one hell of a lot better.

Manoah2u

this is why i think refuelling is a bad idea.
"Explain the ending to F1 in football terms"
"Hamilton was beating Verstappen 7-0, then the ref decided F%$& rules, next goal wins
while also sending off 4 Hamilton players to make it more interesting"

Unc1eM0nty

I have to agree with this, safety was a big part of the reason they dropped in race refueling, whats changed to make them think it's now safe ?