New Refueling formula - Technical regulation - the Fuel pod

Post here all non technical related topics about Formula One. This includes race results, discussions, testing analysis etc. TV coverage and other personal questions should be in Off topic chat.
domh245

Re: New Refueling formula - Technical regulation - the Fuel

Because watching pit mechanics combusting adds to the excitement and brand value of Formula One, obviously [/sarcasm]

PlatinumZealot

Is anyone here knowledgeable in the valve mechanism at the end of a fuel hose?
πŸ–οΈβœŒοΈβ˜οΈπŸ‘€πŸ‘ŒβœοΈπŸŽπŸ†πŸ™

ringo

Unc1eM0nty wrote:I have to agree with this, safety was a big part of the reason they dropped in race refueling, whats changed to make them think it's now safe ?
Technology.
For Sure!!

Tim.Wright

PlatinumZealot wrote:Is anyone here knowledgeable in the valve mechanism at the end of a fuel hose?
Its a dry break coupling. Quite common in various industries for refueling and chemical transfer where spillage must be avoided.

http://www.emcowheaton.com/dry-break/
http://www.racereadyproducts.com/fuel-c ... ke-valves/
http://www.intricoproducts.com/product/ ... ing-nozzle
Not the engineer at Force India

PlatinumZealot

Thanks!

Thinking of using the dry break coupling on the fuel pod and an integrated vent to break the vacuum when fuel starts to flow. Would you happrn to know how the venting valve is set up on a race cars gas tank? This same valve could be used on the fuel pod.. Or hmm. Maybe the vent can be intgrated into the dry break valve....

Bence

What if the fuel pod is a drop-in cartridge (with a safety bladder in it of course)? Twist to release, pull out the empty one, slide the new one in, twist to lock, go.

PlatinumZealot

Yes. That is the idea. Didn't think of the bladder to be honest. But I will examine that prospect. I don't have much time these days to play around in CAD but I want to at least draw a CAD concept. I know the F1 bosses are not aware of this idea because Christian Horner mad it known in a recent interview that he is against refuelling because he thinks the refueling times makes strategies very obvious. I wish he knew that with the fuel pod the time it takes to refuel is independent of the amount of fuel being transferred. This is the biggest selling point.

tuj
tuj

I don't think the pod idea will go anywhere because of the CoG of the car. The fuel tank is, IIRC, low and behind the driver and contains many baffles and flaps to manage to squeeze ever last drop out of the tank and still retain the 1l necessary. Pods would raise the CoG, perhaps not worth the decreased pit delta time.

PlatinumZealot

tuj wrote:I don't think the pod idea will go anywhere because of the CoG of the car. The fuel tank is, IIRC, low and behind the driver and contains many baffles and flaps to manage to squeeze ever last drop out of the tank and still retain the 1l necessary. Pods would raise the CoG, perhaps not worth the decreased pit delta time.
CoG won't change much if is designed properly. Not any more than Mclaaren putting a heat exchanger on top of the engine, or Red Bull RB9 with a ultra tall fuel tank.