Survey Regarding the relevance of 2014 engine regulations

Post here all non technical related topics about Formula One. This includes race results, discussions, testing analysis etc. TV coverage and other personal questions should be in Off topic chat.
JayeOFarrell

Survey Regarding the relevance of 2014 engine regulations

Hi guys, I'm a second year University student studying Motorsport Engineering at Bath and we have been tasked for an assignment to create a short survey to aid are investigating into a chosen subject.

It would be really helpful if anyone with a spare 5 minutes could fill out the survey who are truly interested in Formula 1. This would mean more informed, more relevant data resulting in a better mark. Hence why I'm asking here :)

https://www.surveymonkey.com/s/JRXMVSL

Again thank you to anyone who takes the time to fill it out.
“Be clearly aware of the stars and infinity on high. Then life seems almost enchanted after all.”
― Vincent van Gogh

Nickel

Re: Survey Regarding the relevance of 2014 engine regulation

I fail to see how any of your questions will inform you re: the relevance of the 2014 rules. You seem only concerned with noise, which is a subject that's been covered ad nauseam.

ParkerArt

I'm trying really hard to see how you can work these questions into a statistics paper.

I get that people don't the noise of a hybrid turbo engine but this 'Spectacle' buzzword that Bernie and Co. are always pushing is just annoying. The 'spectacle' venues of F1 that Bernie likes are THE WORST races of the season.

giantfan10

"assignment to create a short survey to aid our investigating into a CHOSEN SUBJECT." he or somebody else chose this subject... either take the survey or dont...sheeesh.... does it really matter what your opinion is on the chosen subject ? SMH

itix

Call me weird but I prefer the noise of the new engines. You can hear all that is going on from the wail of the turbine to the dump valves going off and weird crackles on the overrun etc etc. Also from a technical point of view they are much more interesting than the engines of old.

Also question no 9 is two questions in one... what if I like the idea of more power but don't like the idea of more noise (which is the case since I am not a neanderthal that need to announce my arrival with bang and clash and 50 cent playing at 200 db out of my car stereo (sorry in advance to all the people I offended with that comment))?
Massive rally fan... have fallen out of love with F1 yet again and have thus migrated

JayeOFarrell

Thank you for your input but the survey is more interested in the interested in the effect of the noise of the cars. Also I know the questionnaire isn't perfect, like I said I'm studying an engineering course and I'm no statistician. This is just a small part of one assignment.

Despite this thank you to everyone who took the time to take the survey
“Be clearly aware of the stars and infinity on high. Then life seems almost enchanted after all.”
― Vincent van Gogh

Belatti

Then, its not regarding the relevance of 2014 engine regulations, but regarding the relevance of 2014 engine noise
"You need great passion, because everything you do with great pleasure, you do well." -Juan Manuel Fangio

"I have no idols. I admire work, dedication and competence." -Ayrton Senna

JayeOFarrell

Yer you are right I did not title the thread very well. Thanks for all being so pedantic ;)
― Vincent van Gogh

Ciro Pabón

Interesting, I will answer.

If you're so kind as to post the results, that would be great.

You surely understand that this kind of inquiry is tinted in ways that make the "statistics" part of your work a tad biased.

If you are analyzing the weldings of the Titanic and, on a last minute thought, post a question in forum, named TitanicSinking.org, about availability of lifeboats, well, people may seem pedantic.

If you ask, there is none (you know, I wander with my lantern, trying to find a pedantic man, but nobody answers).

I'd say, in general, there is deep dissatisfaction with engine rules, starting with the noise and ending with a lock on championship results that, I'm sure, have a serious impact on attendance and viewership (at least on MY attendance and viewership).

As you can imagine, I rate myself as the epitome of equanimity and balance, unlike others, who don't. They are pedantic people, unlike we, engineers.
Ciro

itix

Ciro Pabón wrote:Interesting, I will answer.

If you're so kind as to post the results, that would be great.

You may understand that this kind of inquiry is tinted in ways that make the "statistics" part of your work a tad biased.

If you are analyzing the weldings of the Titanic and, on a last minute thought, post a question in forum, named TitanicSinking.org, about availability of lifeboats, well, people may seem pedantic. F1Tech is not a common fan forum, but there are some fans.
I'm gonna be a picky D... here so bear with me. Titanic was riveted, not welded... hahahaha. Ships were not welded as a common practice until the 1950's.
Massive rally fan... have fallen out of love with F1 yet again and have thus migrated

Richard

itix wrote:Call me weird but I prefer the noise of the new engines. You can hear all that is going on from the wail of the turbine to the dump valves going off and weird crackles on the overrun etc etc. Also from a technical point of view they are much more interesting than the engines of old.
You're spot on.

Part of the problem are the abyssmal TV microphones, we hear more of the interesting noises in the background when reporters are trackside, or from fan videos in the stands

I remember hearing the new engines in testing on a Ted Kravtiz piece in the stands at Jerez and thought "wow", followed by the underwhelming TV coverage at the actual races.

JayeOFarrell

I was being sarcastic about being pedantic but I honestly appreciate all debate and will post the results when the paper is finished
― Vincent van Gogh