Merc lack of dominance

Post here all non technical related topics about Formula One. This includes race results, discussions, testing analysis etc. TV coverage and other personal questions should be in Off topic chat.
Bigal38
Bigal38

Merc lack of dominance

Could Mercedes lack of dominance today be a result of the new fuel pressure regs ?

Jolle
Jolle

Re: Merc lack of dominance

I think they lost it most on strategy (switching to the wrong tire at the wrong time and using the softs in Q1) and their high tire usage. Plus Ferrari did a great job.

Shakeman

The biggest change between Oz and Malaysia was the temperature so before everyone pronounces a Ferrari comeback more races at more "normal" track temps is required to confirm.

One swallow does not make a summer.

SilverArrow10

Tires, heat and traffic
"Leave it to Lewis Hamilton to ruin Redbull's day" - Martin Brundle

"Ok Lewis, Its Hammertime!!" - Peter Bonnington

"Fresh tires, 15 laps. What do you think Lewis Hamilton is going to do?" - Martin Brundle

charlex

Re: R: Merc lack of dominance

SilverArrow10 wrote:Tires, heat and traffic
traffic? where?
tires? yee usually cars runs with them
heat? just the same for everyone

Jordan44

charlex wrote:
traffic? where?
traffic? where?
The cars Mercedes had to pass following the safety car period.

What are you talking about? He was clearly referring to the degradation of the tyres and the strategy.

Ferrari coped with its tyres better in the heat. Of course it's the same for everyone.

If you don't have anything useful to contribute then don't comment. You didn't make a useful point anywhere.

SectorOne

Strategy destroyed any chance of a win.
They completed just three laps on the Medium compound before heading into the pits to switch for Hard tires.
The strategist should get some type of award for that.
"If the only thing keeping a person decent is the expectation of divine reward, then brother that person is a piece of sh*t"

GPR-A duplicate2

charlex wrote:
traffic? where?
First of all, way too early to start discussing the lack of Merc dominance. Just last race, they finished 30 seconds ahead of the same Ferrari. No one bridges such a gap in just two weeks, without any new things on the car. Even last year, there were instances where Williams came close and gave an impression that Merc has lost their edge. So, wait for the season to unfold.

Merc were very apprehensive of way too high temperatures (63 deg track temp at the start) and went too conservative on tyres, went into panic by pitting at Safety car. When they came out, they landed in traffic, Yes traffic. Sainz held Lewis the most before Lewis overtook him, which allowed Vettel to run comfortably with his mediums. Merc threw the faster tyres, the only set of mediums they kept, before their age, whereas Ferrari went all the way on Mediums and utilized it fully. Although Ferrari was really fast, the race was won on strategy.

SectorOne

Strategy by both teams.

"If the only thing keeping a person decent is the expectation of divine reward, then brother that person is a piece of sh*t"

Jordan44

GPR-A wrote:
charlex wrote:
traffic? where?
First of all, way too early to start discussing the lack of Merc dominance. Just last race, they finished 30 seconds ahead of the same Ferrari. No one bridges such a gap in just two weeks, without any new things on the car. Even last year, there were instances where Williams came close and gave an impression that Merc has lost their edge. So, wait for the season to unfold.

Merc were very apprehensive of way too high temperatures (63 deg track temp at the start) and went too conservative on tyres, went into panic by pitting at Safety car. When they came out, they landed in traffic, Yes traffic. Sainz held Lewis the most before Lewis overtook him, which allowed Vettel to run comfortably with his mediums. Merc threw the faster tyres, the only set of mediums they kept, before their age, whereas Ferrari went all the way on Mediums and utilized it fully. Although Ferrari was really fast, the race was won on strategy.
Perhaps also consider the running they lost during FP1. That lack of data will affect the setup of both cars and could have had an impact.

There is now no room for error from the team with Ferrari so close. Everything needs to be perfect. Perhaps this season will be the true test of Paddy and Toto's leadership. The Mercedes pit wall today seemed very disjointed and panicked.

rich1701
rich1701

It's not so much Mercedes lack of dominance here, it's more of the resurgence of ferrari, Mercedes have moved further ahead of RedBull and williams and the rest of the field. Ferrari had a reasonable aero base to work from last year and have made huge gains on the power unit side.

AnthonyG

This is amazing, Mercedes is a bit off their normal pace for one race. Instantly a topic opens "Mercedes lack of dominance". :lol:
Thank you really doesn't really describe enough what I feel. - Vettel

lebesset
lebesset

face facts ....mercedes could have recoevered from their mistakes if they had a set of options to put on for the last stint , hamilton would have caught vettel easily , if I was him i would be spitting with rage at the team's performance
personally I am delighted , we need ferrari back in the hunt

but I suspect back to normal next time out even though ferrari is not far behing , clearly really quick now ! look at kimi's performance , starts 11th ,gets hit from behind , loses a bundle of time , can't progress during the safety car period but fights his way through the field to 4th !
Last edited by lebesset on 29 Mar 2015, 14:01, edited 1 time in total.
to the optimist a glass is half full ; to the pessimist a glass is half empty ; to the F1 engineer the glass is twice as big as it needs to be

charlex

J0rd4n wrote:
charlex wrote:
traffic? where?
traffic? where?
The cars Mercedes had to pass following the safety car period.

What are you talking about? He was clearly referring to the degradation of the tyres and the strategy.

Ferrari coped with its tyres better in the heat. Of course it's the same for everyone.

If you don't have anything useful to contribute then don't comment. You didn't make a useful point anywhere.
Hamilton: “Sebastian and Ferrari did a great job today. Ferrari were too fast for us.”

I say what I want when I want, you are not a mod, just a rude boy. Be respectful

Sevach
Sevach

lebesset wrote:face facts ....mercedes could have recoevered from their mistakes if they had a set of options to put on for the last stint , hamilton would have caught vettel easily , if I was him i would be spitting with rage at the team's performance
personally I am delighted , we need ferrari back in the hunt

but I suspect back to normal next time out even though ferrari is not far behing , clearly really quick now ! look at kimi's performance , starts 11th ,gets hit from behind , loses a bundle of time , can't progress during the safety car period but fights his way through the field to 4th !
I have different definition of easily than yours, it looked like a montain to climb imo.