Merc lack of dominance

Post here all non technical related topics about Formula One. This includes race results, discussions, testing analysis etc. TV coverage and other personal questions should be in Off topic chat.
dren

Re: Merc lack of dominance

SectorOne wrote:Strategy destroyed any chance of a win.
They completed just three laps on the Medium compound before heading into the pits to switch for Hard tires.
The strategist should get some type of award for that.
The medium tire wasn't going to last any longer than 10 laps. Mercedes was saving their hard tires for the race because they couldn't get the medium to work well. It was obvious from qualifying when they were using the mediums instead of the hards. It threw the announcers for a loop.

Mercedes couldn't make a two stop work, they were planning all along on a three stop. The pace and longevity of Vettel on the medium tire likely surprised them.

Without the safety car, Mercedes might have been able to hold up Vettel and had a chance at a win. They would have still three stopped. It wasn't strategy that ruined their race. It was outright pace and tire performance. The safety car didn't help.
Honda!

Vasconia

I am not sure but even without the SC Vettel could have won, I mean, after the SC Vettel was right behind Hamilton who couldnt increase the gap with the German, something that doesnt usually happen. Ferrari´s race pace was excellent and their use of the tyres clearly better than Mercedes performance.

I am sure than in China with clearly lower temperatures Mercedes will be dominant again.

dren

Yes, Mercedes should still have a good performance gap to Ferrari in 'normal' temperatures.
Honda!