More Bernie desperation

Post here all non technical related topics about Formula One. This includes race results, discussions, testing analysis etc. TV coverage and other personal questions should be in Off topic chat.
Andres125sx

Re: More Bernie desperation

wesley123 wrote:The driver duty is promoting the sport as well, seeing how they are part of it
No, they promote it, but it´s not their duty, it´s very different. OTOH promoting F1 is exactly Bernie´s duty

If it was Merkel saying they should do anything more, it still would be a bit absurd but I could get it, but coming precisely from the person who have the duty to promote it, this is a joke

I can´t imagine what was Nico´s reaction #-o

iotar__

wesley123 wrote:The driver duty is promoting the sport as well, seeing how they are part of it
So tell me please what kind of "promotion" Hamilton does that Vettel and Rosberg don't. Getting tickets for road transgressions before a GP :D, wearing five kg of gold or pouring champagne on poor woman's face perhaps? See, you can't have only the positives.

So how would that work, do you think that Ecclestone should influence sporting or technical regulation (as he does all the time) in favour of more marketable drivers? It's not just babbling of an old man he's got the power to affect this sport in many ways, directly and more importantly indirectly through teams. This is not something that should be taken lightly but a negative reality of F1 and one of the reasons it's a joke pseudo sport now.

wesley123

iotar__ wrote:
So tell me please what kind of "promotion" Hamilton does that Vettel and Rosberg don't.
Hamilton is a driver that is very much liked and very much not liked. He has a character(just look at his "swag", or whatever it is people call it these days) that is different, stands out. That is in a large contrast to Rosberg and Vettel which don't seem to have any character whatsoever and just are "drones" driving laps. They have no likable character, they have no character that provokes something, they just are 2 other drivers that drive in F1.

And that is where the promotion comes in. A driver is something, means something and provokes something. If he provokes something, that means interaction with F1 and it's brands.
"Bite my shiny metal ass" - Bender

SilverArrow10

wesley123 wrote:
iotar__ wrote:
So tell me please what kind of "promotion" Hamilton does that Vettel and Rosberg don't.
Hamilton is a driver that is very much liked and very much not liked. He has a character(just look at his "swag", or whatever it is people call it these days) that is different, stands out. That is in a large contrast to Rosberg and Vettel which don't seem to have any character whatsoever and just are "drones" driving laps. They have no likable character, they have no character that provokes something, they just are 2 other drivers that drive in F1.

And that is where the promotion comes in. A driver is something, means something and provokes something. If he provokes something, that means interaction with F1 and it's brands.
Well Vettel has a bit of character, he's cheeky, if he didn't have a habit of winning so much id probably like him, but yeah Rosberg has no character at all, maybe some smugness but im still getting over yesterday so don't take my word for it. Hamilton is a celebrity, not just a famous racing driver, for all the good and bad press that gives him, and any kind of press is good for the business. And Bernie is all about the business, god knows if a part of him once loved the sport it died a long time ago
"Leave it to Lewis Hamilton to ruin Redbull's day" - Martin Brundle

"Ok Lewis, Its Hammertime!!" - Peter Bonnington

"Fresh tires, 15 laps. What do you think Lewis Hamilton is going to do?" - Martin Brundle

ChrisF1

Vettel, Ricciardo and Webber were all good on TopGear, pity we didn't see more of that side of things. I miss Webbers outspoken side, it's not the same when he's on the outside.

Moxie

Insert Nelson Piquet joke here.

GPR-A duplicate2

It seems there is coup going on behind the scenes to throw Bernie out.

Mercedes is mobilizing on all fronts
Politically plays the German automotive group at the moment a key role. On Sunday morning, the Monaco GP there was a meeting between Mercedes boss Dieter Zetsche and Renault CEO Carlos Ghosn. It transpired that Ghosn had declared its intention that Renault wants to launch in 2017 with its own team in the premier class at the latest. Condition: Chief marketer Bernie Ecclestone should have nothing more to say in Formula 1.
Ignore the improper translation.

lollol

iotar__ wrote:
So tell me please what kind of "promotion" Hamilton does that Vettel and Rosberg don't. Getting tickets for road transgressions before a GP :D, wearing five kg of gold or pouring champagne on poor woman's face perhaps? See, you can't have only the positives.

So how would that work, do you think that Ecclestone should influence sporting or technical regulation (as he does all the time) in favour of more marketable drivers? It's not just babbling of an old man he's got the power to affect this sport in many ways, directly and more importantly indirectly through teams. This is not something that should be taken lightly but a negative reality of F1 and one of the reasons it's a joke pseudo sport now.
:roll: Hamilton haters are so absurd its unbelievable.
1. Why bring up a speed ticket from 8 years ago. #-o
2.why complain about spraying grid girls when every driver does it.
3.why do you have a problem with gold chains.

If this is all that you can come up with...I have more respect for Hamilton now.

I never post on this board but your complaints are so absurd.

turbof1

It isn't about being positive or negative. Bernie Ecclestone has a point from a marketing view: drivers in spotlights are promotion for the sport.

Just take a look at soccer: Real Madrid would loose a huge chunk of revenue out of commercial activities if they were to loose Christiano Ronaldo.

Or who would even know the club PSG if not for Zlatan Ibrahimovic?

What have Ronaldo, Ibra and Hamilton all in common? They are very extravert persons; they don't shy away from being controversial. Extravert and controversial sells. This has always been the case, even in the middle ages where they would carve little King Richard puppets out of wood and would always have too few on the markets.

Rosberg isn't like that, and honestly that's good for him. An introvert person trying to force being a Hamilton is never going to work out. It doesn't make him a better or worse driver.

I do disagree about Vettel though. Vettel isn't as controversial as Hamilton, but by no means is that guy introvert.
#AeroFrodo

skoop

i have to agree with bernie and turbof1 on this one. in my opinion f1 needs more "characters" like hamilton, räikkönen (even though he doesn't do much public stuff) or back in the days james hunt.
in my opinion the sport has become too "clean" and political correct. let the drivers swear, insult each other, smoke, drink (after races) and fight harder on track.
bring back some real emotions

Andres125sx

turbof1 wrote:It isn't about being positive or negative. Bernie Ecclestone has a point from a marketing view: drivers in spotlights are promotion for the sport.

Just take a look at soccer: Real Madrid would loose a huge chunk of revenue out of commercial activities if they were to loose Christiano Ronaldo.

Or who would even know the club PSG if not for Zlatan Ibrahimovic?

What have Ronaldo, Ibra and Hamilton all in common? They are very extravert persons; they don't shy away from being controversial. Extravert and controversial sells. This has always been the case, even in the middle ages where they would carve little King Richard puppets out of wood and would always have too few on the markets.

Rosberg isn't like that, and honestly that's good for him. An introvert person trying to force being a Hamilton is never going to work out. It doesn't make him a better or worse driver.

I do disagree about Vettel though. Vettel isn't as controversial as Hamilton, but by no means is that guy introvert.
Agree with everything, but do you think it´s ok criticizing a F1 driver because of his character?

Bernie is crazy if he think Rosberg will become more controversial because he´s asking him to be so. He´s not that way, he´s not going to be, and he doesn´t need to either.

IMHO it´s just more bs from Bernie

Andres125sx

GPR-A wrote:It seems there is coup going on behind the scenes to throw Bernie out.

Mercedes is mobilizing on all fronts
Politically plays the German automotive group at the moment a key role. On Sunday morning, the Monaco GP there was a meeting between Mercedes boss Dieter Zetsche and Renault CEO Carlos Ghosn. It transpired that Ghosn had declared its intention that Renault wants to launch in 2017 with its own team in the premier class at the latest. Condition: Chief marketer Bernie Ecclestone should have nothing more to say in Formula 1.
Ignore the improper translation.
Hopefully... :D

turbof1

Agree with everything, but do you think it´s ok criticizing a F1 driver because of his character?

Bernie is crazy if he think Rosberg will become more controversial because he´s asking him to be so. He´s not that way, he´s not going to be, and he doesn´t need to either.

IMHO it´s just more bs from Bernie
Well, the context changes atleast. It is not meant personal; it's meant professional. Still makes it a tad rude to just say that in public, but in all honesty we've heard him being much ruder and this time he atleast makes a bit of sense.

Note that I too agree Rosberg will not change his timide character. That would be very odd, like a Kimi Raikkonen hosting a talk show.
#AeroFrodo

sgth0mas

I agree that drivers have the ability to increase popularity of the sport as a whole, but at the same time i dont agree with the geographical GP implications. Floyd Mayweather is proof enough that even if youre hated by many...people will pay to watch...but only if they believe there is a chance the person they hate may lose.

And vettel has quite a bit of personality from what ive seen. This weekend alone, he comments about the grid boys, makes a pretty solid joke during the podium interview and also makes odd analogies while driving.

Hes also cursed on the podium, mentioned getting pissed at malaysia and a host of other things.

Maybe the broadcasts and media just arent showing enough of the drivers personalities. Instead the focus has been on redbull wanting to quit, tyres being crap and a host of other turn offs for the sport.

sgth0mas

lollol wrote:
iotar__ wrote:

:roll: Hamilton haters are so absurd its unbelievable.
1. Why bring up a speed ticket from 8 years ago. #-o
2.why complain about spraying grid girls when every driver does it.
3.why do you have a problem with gold chains.

If this is all that you can come up with...I have more respect for Hamilton now.

I never post on this board but your complaints are so absurd.
This has to be an alias for another poster...ip check on isle 5 please? Who starts an account just to reply about lewis and obviously knows the board well enough to respond in this manner?

can we please keep the hamilton fanboy arguments out of just 1 thread.