"Crashtor?" Madonado worst diver ever?

Post here all non technical related topics about Formula One. This includes race results, discussions, testing analysis etc. TV coverage and other personal questions should be in Off topic chat.
Sniffit

Re: "Crashtor?" Madonado worst diver ever?

Not sure how you would measure performance over a season except for points wise.

With that said is Maldonado the worst driver of all time? No he is not. But it does not mean that F1 is the right venue for him. It wouldn't surprise me if he would be a great indy car driver.

skoop
skoop

what amazes me most is that he doesn't learn from his mistakes. everyone makes mistakes and that's okay. we're all humans.
getting a drive through penalty for speeding in the pits and then beeing too fast in the pits while serving your penalty (is that how you say it? i'm not a native speaker)? that really shocked me

santos
santos

What amazes me is how can he survive in F1 for so long. He is only in F1 because of PDVSA. I belive he is good and fast... with a track just for him.

Jonnycraig
Jonnycraig

Phil wrote:Objectively speaking; Was he that bad today? I admit, I did watch the race, am fully aware that he had a few penalties here and there, but I can't recall enough about the incidents to know to what extend he was the cause of them.

I have always viewed Maldonado as one of the drivers who pushes more than most. And perhaps that is his downfall. Instead of driving with 'the big picture' in his mind, he just pushes like crazy - perhaps overdriving to an extend (which then makes him slower lap time wise) and finds himself in many avoidable situations, where the car is either out of control or on the verge of its limits. If he weren't quick on a good day, I'd be all for him making room for someone else, but I'm not sure Grosjean has shown that he is much better. Perhaps points wise, but performance wise?
Off the top of my head, he had the collision with Perez, which was the sort of thing you'd expect in go karts, speeding in the pitlane, which is a complete rookie error, and overtaking under the safety car which is just criminal for such an experienced driver.

As for the myth of him being 'quick', Grosjean has out qualified him 9-1, despite Maldonado refusing to give up any FP1 time to Palmer. :lol:

natehall
natehall

Wayne DR wrote: Sadly, the only thing that will likely impact Pastor will be Lotus' loss of Constructor's Money at the end of the season. (When they hopefully work out how much they should have received vs what they actually got).
Or renault could buy the team out, in which case his PDVSA money would get him a lovely Manor Seat

Phil

Re: speeding in the pits; I was under the impression that they have a limiter that is activated - the only crucial part of the process when he enters the pits (goes over the marked line) at which point the pit entry speed limit must not be exceeded. Can we be sure this was the place where the speeding took place or was there a problem with the pit limiter on his car? I find it odd that it would happen twice within a race if there's no issue with the limiter itself... although, it is Maldonado... but hey...?!? :D
Not for nothing, Rosberg's Championship is the only thing that lends credibility to Hamilton's recent success. Otherwise, he'd just be the guy who's had the best car. — bhall II
#Team44 supporter

Sniffit

Phil wrote:Re: speeding in the pits; I was under the impression that they have a limiter that is activated - the only crucial part of the process when he enters the pits (goes over the marked line) at which point the pit entry speed limit must not be exceeded. Can we be sure this was the place where the speeding took place or was there a problem with the pit limiter on his car? I find it odd that it would happen twice within a race if there's no issue with the limiter itself... although, it is Maldonado... but hey...?!? :D
IIRC it is a button on the steering wheel, so they can either -press it to late/not brake enough in time
-Not keep it in/accidentaly untoggle it
-release the limiter to early

ScottB
ScottB

For me, getting three penalties in one race is almost worth a black flag in itself, an utter nonsense!

Jonnycraig
Jonnycraig

Phil wrote:Re: speeding in the pits; I was under the impression that they have a limiter that is activated - the only crucial part of the process when he enters the pits (goes over the marked line) at which point the pit entry speed limit must not be exceeded. Can we be sure this was the place where the speeding took place or was there a problem with the pit limiter on his car? I find it odd that it would happen twice within a race if there's no issue with the limiter itself... although, it is Maldonado... but hey...?!? :D
The speedguns are usually at the entrance to the pits.

ChrisM40
ChrisM40

I follow Lotus on Twitter and G+, even they seem to have a sense of humour about him now. That comes across on the pit radio as well.

Without his money they wouldn't be there at all, so they might as well just enjoy the spectacle.

McMrocks
McMrocks

Jonnycraig wrote:
The speedguns are usually at the entrance to the pits.
The pitlane is also split in several sector and the FiA measures the time the car needs to travel through every single one, calculating a speed.

pob

He was more than 10 km/h over the limit which would suggest it was either a problem with the limiter or he accidentally deactivated it rather than just pushing too much on the pit entry.

natehall
natehall

On his lap (not even a day :( ) he is a really quick driver, but unfortunately thats 1 in 10 laps at best... the rest of the time its like watching a old Game..

Racer X

Maldonado will he DNF some more? lets just hope he doesnt ruin tomorrow race start....
RedBull Racing Checo//PEREZ

ESPImperium
ESPImperium

Personally, the bloody points system on their licence is stupid and is there for teams like Lotus who need Maldanado for the money he brings. I have always said that the system is confusing and is there to protect dangerous drivers who bring money. I believe the system should be changed for reprimands to be used in the form that yellow/red cards are in football (Soccer for the USA) where 3 reprimands make a race ban, and every two there after is a 2 race ban. However if two reprimands in one weekend are given to a driver, he has to BOX immediately if it is in race he receives his second reprimand and then take a two race ban.

This would mean that Maldanado would have had a race ban before Hungary and he would have been given Spa and Monza off after Hungary. It would have been nice for Palmer to have been in the car, and I'm thinking Grosjean would have liked it as he would have been in the car in FP1.

The penalty driver system just aint fit for purpose for me. Its too contrived and should be there to make drivers safe, and finally, easy for the F1 fans hardcore to casual to follow.