Tobacco advertising

Post here all non technical related topics about Formula One. This includes race results, discussions, testing analysis etc. TV coverage and other personal questions should be in Off topic chat.
m3_lover

I remember reading that Mild Seven's sponsorship in regards to Renault is a pretty big chunk of Renaults operating budget in F1, I hope telefornica is ready to pay :)
Simon: Nils? You can close in now. Nils?
John McClane: [on the guard's phone] Attention! Attention! Nils is dead! I repeat, Nils is dead, ----head. So's his pal, and those four guys from the East German All-Stars, your boys at the bank? They're gonna be a little late.
Simon: [on the phone] John... in the back of the truck you're driving, there's $13 billon dollars worth in gold bullion. I wonder would a deal be out of the question?
John McClane: [on the phone] Yeah, I got a deal for you. Come out from that rock you're hiding under, and I'll drive this truck up your ass.

West
West

Jim Beam was the title sponsor for Dan Wheldon in his Indy 500 win.

I didn't start smoking because of F1 either, but when I looked at older F1 cars I tried all the cigarettes: Gaulouises, Rothmans, Benson and Hedges, West, etc. I liked Gaulouises the most because it had a distinct flavor to it. Mild Seven is just that - mild. But if you smoke Marlboros for your life, then try a Mild Seven, you might get a huge headache (personal experience). BTW, Mild Seven is a milder form of Seven Stars, which was too hardcore for me. Not as bad as unfiltered, tho.

Anyway... gave up smoking a year ago... smoked for two years and never really saw that nicotine addiction. Primary reason was to save the oxygen for hitting the gym. I think this anti-tobacco advertising is BS... too many people have too much time, so they have to protest SOMETHING. Most people start when their friends start, but that is probably due to movies more than anything else.
Bring back wider rear wings, V10s, and tobacco advertisements

rsfocus
rsfocus

Spencifer_Murphy wrote:Ferrari were without Marlboro for their entire existance up until 1996 (or 97 maybe).

So how would Ferrari be "not the same without Marlboro"? :?
they have had them on the cars since the 70's only small at first though. sometimes only drivers. gilles villeneuve certainly had it on his cars.

but who cares, if you are that easily led you deserve to die a slow horrible death from throat,mouth,lung and whatever other cancer it smoking causes! as long as there is money to come in to the sport. then again, if marlboro go more sponsors might come in, ages ago there were all the stories that Branson wanted to bring Virgin in but wouldnt while the tobacco companies were there, coca cola is another. i can imagine with red bull so prodominate in f1 all the other drinks companies must be kicking themselves.

Sodder
Sodder

[quote="West"]Jim Beam was the title sponsor for Dan Wheldon in his Indy 500 win.

quote]

Your right, my mistake.
All I know is I don't know much....

http://batracer.com/-1FrontPage.htm?6l

Tom

Banning the adverts could, unfortunetly, bring an end to F1.

The sad truth is that cheerios don't pay half as muckas Mild Seven. Perhaps not even enough to fund a team.

After all, look at what Williams have had to do to keep afloat. Almost every F1 DVD I've bought has focused on Williams, this is there way of making profit.

Although they do have an alcohol sponsor.
Murphy's 9th Law of Technology:
Tell a man there are 300 million stars in the universe and he'll believe you. Tell him a bench has wet paint on it and he'll have to touch to be sure.

Scuderia_Russ

Tom wrote:Banning the adverts could, unfortunetly, bring an end to F1.
I don't buy this. Sponsors would flock to F1 if there were zero tobacco influence because most of them don't want to hurt their ethical image by being advertised next to a packet of fags. I think it would open up a whole raft of new marketing opportunities.

Jason

Spencifer_Murphy wrote:
think Marlboro will run there advertisements on the car like they did in U.S,
I think thats right, they have signed a multi-year deal, how long - i dont know - but they will have what they describe as "subliminal" branding, i.e the "barcode" logo like in the US GP.
I am really going to miss Renault's mild seven livery next year
Well Renault's corportate Racing colours are Yellow & white, the blue is for Mild Seven (Carried over from Bennetton), so what do you think the chances are that they will change the race car colours to yellow & white next year?
Us gp?...you mean this? Image
Never regret what you do, but only regret what you don't do. - Jenson Button
http://batracer.com/-1FrontPage.htm?LW

Richard
Richard

Re: Tobacco advertising

Discussion of punitive damages awarded to a person in America has been moved to the off topic forum :arrow: http://www.f1technical.net/forum/viewto ... =1&t=19890

FW17

Maldonado would welcome cigarette sponsor at Lotus

Pastor Maldonado would welcome a cigarette sponsor to Lotus.

When the Enstone based team first adopted its familiar black and gold livery in 2011, it instantly triggered memories of the original Team Lotus, sponsored in the 70s and 80s by John Player Special.

But according to rumours in the Hungaroring paddock, John Player Special - now headed by the British tobacco giant Imperial - could be back for real in 2015.

Cigarette advertising in F1 is banned, but Ferrari continues to be backed by Philip Morris, whose Marlboro colours resemble the imagery on the Italian team's cars and logos.

Venezuelan Maldonado on Thursday indicated he would have no problem being sponsored by a tobacco company like Imperial.

"It's difficult to say because I'm not getting involved in marketing and this part of the team," he said.

"But for sure, a sponsor is welcome. Whoever can join the team, it's always welcome.

"From my point of view, it's a good team in terms of image, marketing, one of the best in formula one, for sure," Maldonado added.

SectorOne

WilliamsF1 wrote:but Ferrari continues to be backed by Philip Morris, whose Marlboro colours resemble the imagery on the Italian team's cars and logos.
Yea the logo is basically part of a marlboro package on the car.
Hidden in plain sight like the bar code used to be.
"If the only thing keeping a person decent is the expectation of divine reward, then brother that person is a piece of sh*t"

GitanesBlondes

WilliamsF1 wrote:
Maldonado would welcome cigarette sponsor at Lotus

Pastor Maldonado would welcome a cigarette sponsor to Lotus.

When the Enstone based team first adopted its familiar black and gold livery in 2011, it instantly triggered memories of the original Team Lotus, sponsored in the 70s and 80s by John Player Special.

But according to rumours in the Hungaroring paddock, John Player Special - now headed by the British tobacco giant Imperial - could be back for real in 2015.

Cigarette advertising in F1 is banned, but Ferrari continues to be backed by Philip Morris, whose Marlboro colours resemble the imagery on the Italian team's cars and logos.

Venezuelan Maldonado on Thursday indicated he would have no problem being sponsored by a tobacco company like Imperial.

"It's difficult to say because I'm not getting involved in marketing and this part of the team," he said.

"But for sure, a sponsor is welcome. Whoever can join the team, it's always welcome.

"From my point of view, it's a good team in terms of image, marketing, one of the best in formula one, for sure," Maldonado added.
I'm not sure how they'd swing that other than doing similar things that Ferrari does currently.

I was wondering if it might be through e-cigarettes, but I know Europe put in a ban on e-cig advertising...which is no surprise as the whole idea of personal responsibility is missing over there currently. I think the Lotus livery was always aimed at trying to entice Imperial Tobacco into doing a Ferrari-Marlboro type deal with them. If there is any truth to this rumor, it'd be rather fascinating to see what approach they take to the subliminal advertising necessary.
"I don't want to make friends with anybody. I don't give a sh*t for fame. I just want to win." -Nelson Piquet

flyboy2160
flyboy2160

GitanesBlondes wrote:....it'd be rather fascinating to see what approach they take to the subliminal advertising necessary.
And what new tyrannical rules will be imposed by the I-Know-Better-Than-You-What-You-Should-Do-With-Your-Life Nanny State Nazis. Can you see them dictating that the car livery can't be "too close" to the cigarette brand colors? I think 'disgusting' will be more appropriate than 'fascinating.'

GitanesBlondes

flyboy2160 wrote:
GitanesBlondes wrote:....it'd be rather fascinating to see what approach they take to the subliminal advertising necessary.
And what new tyrannical rules will be imposed by the I-Know-Better-Than-You-What-You-Should-Do-With-Your-Life Nanny State Nazis. Can you see them dictating that the car livery can't be "too close" to the cigarette brand colors? I think 'disgusting' will be more appropriate than 'fascinating.'
The outrage over the Marlboro barcode livery, the team name being Scuderia Ferrari Marlboro was sad. I wish they still ran the barcode on the cars instead of the partial Marlboro chevron the logo has currently. Though I suspect were that to still be allowed, some enterprising lawyer would figure out a way to sue F1 and the teams for the "harmful" effect of tobacco advertising. Now that I think about it, I'm surprised we haven't gotten a lawsuit yet over the advertising from those days.
"I don't want to make friends with anybody. I don't give a sh*t for fame. I just want to win." -Nelson Piquet