High Performance Road Cars VS Bikes.

Post here all non technical related topics about Formula One. This includes race results, discussions, testing analysis etc. TV coverage and other personal questions should be in Off topic chat.
FoxHound

Re: High Performance Road Cars VS Bikes.

J.A.W. wrote:Hey man, anyone who wants to sook it.. is free to do so.. we are all mortal..
..& there are plenty of times I take the car.. for good reason..
& occasional times when I feel better for being in it, going hard..

But.. the O.T. post contention stands.. ..in real/hard terms..
..& regardless of all the hilarious anonymous fanboy upvotes/hater downvotes - here in this thread....
As I've said, bikes are quickest in laboratory conditions.
In the real world, around the New Forest or any twisty demanding bit of road, the car wins. I've seen it with my own eyes, and the car was a lightly modded M3(stripped).
I can't really speak of skill levels between the car and bike riders, but there was no way our group could keep up. On a straight we close the gap, but come the looping blind corners, You just can't get your knee down like you do on the track...
Throttle is held until the bike is near dead straight and before you know it, another corner. The road surface will change at least 3 times in the space of a mile, and some trees shed water a day after it's rained.

If you want to roll dice, you cut the corner and pray there isn't anything coming the other way. Such actions, I don't condone... as when they are scraping your carrion off the road, some poor sod will have to live with what he/she witnessed that day.

And I get your biker bravado man, I really do. I was that person a few years ago, 2 bikes and a lot of luck with the good sense to put the toys down when God...or whatever....taps you on the shoulder and points at his watch.

So I'll summarise...
Bikes are quicker in perfect conditions. On Public roads, where I live...in this weather(Rain...snow...hail...blistering sunshine...all in one day!!!) Bikes are not fit for purpose, and should the rider push the purpose, it will inevitably lead to the rider being rendered unfit for purpose.....
JET set

J.A.W.

Ye gods!
F-H, you can type out screeds of flannel - in an attempt to exculpate your particular limitations,
but - to generalise it to skilled riders - is laughable..

The Isle of Mann is one of the British Isles, isn't it?
Did you see the WRX hot lap vid there? - I put it up on page 1.
Bikes go harder, faster around the I.o.M., & yet, if the car driver lost it, what would be his chances?

So what.. that's his outcome & his call..
"Well, we knocked the bastard off!"

Ed Hilary on being 1st to top Mt Everest,
(& 1st to do a surface traverse across Antarctica,
in good Kiwi style - riding a Massey Ferguson farm
tractor - with a few extemporised mod's to hack the task).

Miguel

The Isle of Man is neither Britain nor the United Kingdom.
I am not amazed by F1 cars in Monaco. I want to see them driving in the A8 highway: Variable radius corners, negative banking, and extreme narrowings that Tilke has never dreamed off. Oh, yes, and "beautiful" weather tops it all.

"Prediction is very difficult, especially about the future." Niels Bohr

J.A.W.

But Gibraltar is! L.O.L...

The I.o.M. is in fact/geographically - one of the British Isles..

Miguel

J.A.W. wrote:But Gibraltar is! L.O.L...
No, it isn't.
I am not amazed by F1 cars in Monaco. I want to see them driving in the A8 highway: Variable radius corners, negative banking, and extreme narrowings that Tilke has never dreamed off. Oh, yes, and "beautiful" weather tops it all.

J.A.W.

Yeah it is, like it or not..
& it has been politically/socially British - for about a century longer than it has ever been in Spanish hands..

The TT races on the I.o.M. - were a way of getting around the ban on public road racing in mainland UK..

FoxHound

J.A.W. wrote:Ye gods!
F-H, you can type out screeds of flannel - in an attempt to exculpate your particular limitations,
but - to generalise it to skilled riders - is laughable..

The Isle of Mann is one of the British Isles, isn't it?
Did you see the WRX hot lap vid there? - I put it up on page 1.
Bikes go harder, faster around the I.o.M., & yet, if the car driver lost it, what would be his chances?

So what.. that's his outcome & his call..
I think you had your deductions deduced prior to the formation of this thread.
I go by what I've seen.
JET set

Miguel

J.A.W. wrote:Yeah it is, like it or not..
& it has been politically/socially British - for about a century longer than it has ever been in Spanish hands..

The TT races on the I.o.M. - were a way of getting around the ban on public road racing in mainland UK..
Gibraltar is not part of the United Kingdom. Neither are Jersey, Guersney, the Isle of Man and the Falkland islands. If you're British and you have a passport, you should check what it says on the cover, and then learn a bit about the administration of your own country.

J.A.W.

Gibraltar is a British Overseas Territorial Possession, & is held in perpetuity.. fact..

The authority of H.M. Q.E. II is emblazoned on my passport, & yet I am not British by nationality, but so what..

@ F-H,
Yeah, decades of riding experience has reinforced those empirical proofs..
& being a rider - has improved my car driving skills, no doubt..

But I sure don't limit my understanding/outlook of the topic - to my own doings..
..hence the links to supportive data throughout this thread..
.. so - have you "seen" them?

bdr529

J.A.W.

Braking test of current ( both ABS) regular commuter type vehicles, car vs bike.. &.. the bike wins..

https://youtube.com/watch?v=loaJVp4ARZA

Addit: Cheers for that diagram Bdr... (& H.M.Q.E. II - is your Head of State, too eh..)

J.A.W.

FoxHound wrote: ... as when they are scraping your carrion off the road, some poor sod will have to live with what he/she witnessed that day.
Yeah, F-H - you do realize those meat truck operators are pretty well hardened to what they do - day in day out..
& joke about stuff like "Dumping human waste on the Queen's highway - it's bleedin' well illegal - init? "

Not that there's anything wrong with that..

Here's a like anecdote from my experience.. ..true story..

A career I considered doing post matriculation - was train driving.. & accordingly, I sat an aptitude test..
..one of the questions was along the lines of how I would handle dealing with munting over people still on the tracks..
..I answered "Road kill", then crossed it out & wrote "Railroad kill - cant stop, cant swerve, too bad, nevermind.",
& was told - "Good answer son, you'll bloody do"..

..But by that stage of course, I'd already seen mates (& others) killed on the road, inc' when riding..

& look at V. Rossi, he literally knocked his own mate's ( M. Simmoncelli) block off -fatally- in a racing incident,
but he then got on with it, none-the-less.. & fair enough too, IMO..

Andres125sx

J.A.W. wrote:Braking test of current ( both ABS) regular commuter type vehicles, car vs bike.. &.. the bike wins..

https://youtube.com/watch?v=loaJVp4ARZA
OMG, now this is a regular commuter? Exactly the same bike with fairing

A bike with dual semi-floating 300 mm petal discs can´t be considered a regular commuter for a braking comparison, at least if you want to be somewhat realistic

Anycase, have you checked the full article linked on the video? Becasue looks like they had some sort of remorse and ended the article with this
an average bike has far higher performance characteristics than an average car. In general, an average sports bike will have higher quality brakes and better tires than an average hatchback or a family saloon [...] But as soon as you get a car that’s remotely sporty, say a Golf GTI, the car will begin to stop in shorter distance than a bike. Physics will win and with those four tires, the equation of a = μg will see the car pull up quicker.

Andres125sx

That graph got me confused... what´s the difference between british islands and british isles?

bdr529

Andres125sx wrote:
That graph got me confused... what´s the difference between british islands and british isles?
British Isles is a geographical term – it refers to the islands of Great Britain ( England, Scotland and Wales) and Ireland (Northern Ireland & the Republic of Ireland) and the 5000 or so smaller islands scattered around the coasts.
It's just geography, and not based on nationality