F1 in Schools 2015

Post here all non technical related topics about Formula One. This includes race results, discussions, testing analysis etc. TV coverage and other personal questions should be in Off topic chat.
Sofia

Re: F1 in Schools 2015

No they are not (the wheels as narrow and close together) which is something we are working on! Although the rules are quite limiting we are working o a very different design for nationals that I shall post as soon as it is developed!

Sofia

In terms of bringing the wheels together, how exactly will that help improve the car's performance? I know in terms of the front wheels that means we can reduce some of the ram surface, but in the case where the front wheels and back wheels are a different distance apart, could that not create problems?

sgth0mas

Bringing the wheels in and making them narrower will first reduce frontal area (thus drag) and then rolling resistance.

I cant see a problem with front and back being different widths, but i would make both as narrow as possible.

Drewd11

Not sure if car to track-side collisions occur, but if they are of concern, it may be that narrowing the wheel width could create a larger angle of incidence with the rails on the sides, and there could be positive efficiency to be gained from a wider track width,causing the car to have shallower collisions with the walls, despite increased frequency of collision and aerodynamic inefficiencies due to the increased track width.

sgth0mas

Drewd11 wrote:Not sure if car to track-side collisions occur, but if they are of concern, it may be that narrowing the wheel width could create a larger angle of incidence with the rails on the sides, and there could be positive efficiency to be gained from a wider track width,causing the car to have shallower collisions with the walls, despite increased frequency of collision and aerodynamic inefficiencies due to the increased track width.
Its actually on a guide wire...so it should stay straight.

and if i understand you correctly, youre talking directly about the geometric effects of a wider car being closer to the wall thus less room to generate a higher angle of impact. Im really not sure what efficiences you say will Be gained...unless you literally mean the car will bounce at a shallower angle down the track like a pin ball (but again its on a guide wire). There is also a host of other factors that would have to go into play to make that accurate such as slip, steering input (which doesnt exist either), and more.

If i have misunderstood, will you please detail it a bit more? Remember this will be used in an academic comletition so the team needs to back a lot of the desigN decisions up in a report and presentation.