"Starts" portion of the FIA Strategy Group announcement

Post here all non technical related topics about Formula One. This includes race results, discussions, testing analysis etc. TV coverage and other personal questions should be in Off topic chat.
kptaylor

"Starts" portion of the FIA Strategy Group announcement

What does this portion refer to, exactly?
Measures to make starts only activated by the driver without any outside assistance.
I thought we already had driver-only rules in place for changing adjustable settings. :?: Can the engineers adjust settings for better launch outside of what the driver does?

siskue2005

Re: "Starts" portion of the FIA Strategy Group announcement

they can see the data from the start done on formation lap and then ask him to make adjustments over the radio

kptaylor

Right, but isn't that already covered by the "no coaching" rule?

acosmichippo

i thought engineers make adjustments from the pit lane based on the practice starts before the formation lap. If I recall correctly, this is why hamilton made such a big deal about wheel spin on his practice start in Spain. Except the adjustment they made (if any) didn't help.

BanMeToo

The driver can be instructed to make some changes during the formation lap, like siskue said. They are somewhat able to adjust clutch engagement from the steering wheel. Maybe that sentence leaves them room to crack down on RS modes or something?

langwadt

Many years ago Renault had a system that could detect the red light and launch the car automatically, but it's been banned since forever.

Maybe they want the drivers to figure out the clutch settings themselves instead of the pit crunching the numbers on a
practice start and telling them how set it

Manoah2u

obviously the FIA wants starts to go full-manual again. no longer clutch biting, secondary clutch phase,
no longer launch control, etc etc. but pure driving skill. i'm positive for this, as i've hated the launch control stuff.
it's just total rubbish. i always thought it to be a lack of skill to use such a thing. it does not fit within motor racing.

apart from that,

i hate Bernie suddenly hating on Michelin and 18" tires. Pirelli wants 18" too and even tested it. Look at what the Formula E/GPE is doing. I think 18" is personally just 1 size too big, rather have 17". it took some getting used to first but i kinda like the 18" on the Lotus to be honest.
"Explain the ending to F1 in football terms"
"Hamilton was beating Verstappen 7-0, then the ref decided F%$& rules, next goal wins
while also sending off 4 Hamilton players to make it more interesting"