Pavement Regulations

Post here all non technical related topics about Formula One. This includes race results, discussions, testing analysis etc. TV coverage and other personal questions should be in Off topic chat.
DarkraiMHN

Pavement Regulations

Hello,

I'm a Final year Civil Engineering Student, currently working on my Major Project "Special Pavements". Where can I find the FIA regulations or the regulations of the concerned body who control and manage the standards of F1 tracks. My area of concern is the Structural Dynamics of these Special Pavements in extreme conditions like in airports, Drift Tracks, High Speed Corridors, etc. Any suggestions and help will be very useful.

Thank You.

PlatinumZealot

Re: Pavement Regulations

Ok.. I cannot help you.. but interesting topic.

There is wide variation in pavement properties across the calendar. There are extremely expensive pavements such as the one used in Bahrain. It is the thickest F1 pavement by far and it said to have granite in it. The granite it supposed to increase the mechanical grip. Other circuits are street circuits like Monaco, Singapore and Canada. If if remember the Canada pavement was pretty poor on the race's return to F1 in 2010(?) the pavement was crumbling under the stress of the cars in the braking zone. It makes one wonder if F1 even had pavement standards at that time?? I don't know.
🖐️✌️☝️👀👌✍️🐎🏆🙏

wesley123

I guess your best bet is to attempt to contact some (local) race tracks and see what they'll have to tell you(or other more specialized applications, like you named yourself).
"Bite my shiny metal ass" - Bender

Ciro Pabón

DarkraiMHN, welcome to the forum, by all means.

I've given elsewhere specifications for circuit design, but they are not for pavement but for geometric design: http://www.f1technical.net/forum/viewto ... 3&p=431660

I don't know of general specifications by FIA for racing pavements. )f you find them, it would be nice to post them for the rest of us.

As you already know, the problem here is not compression loads but two main things:

1. Shear
2. IRI

For the first one, that is, shear resistance, in my personal experience, I've seen mixtures with Marshall stability over 6.000 Newtons (1.500 pounds), which is a value typical for high load traffic (over 10 million equivalent single axle load or ESAL of 80 kNewtons or 8,2 Ton or 18.000 pounds).

Of course, the amount of traffic is negligible, as race cars are very light and vertical loads are close to zero, because its ESAL equivalency is, from the practical point of view, also zero (well, you can see a value of 0.0003 and the number of repetitions is very low.

This means that 1/0.0003 1 Ton vehicles (and an F1 weighs less, at 650 kg), or 3300 repetitions or passes of a racing car cause as much damage as one loader truck.

That is, the entire field of cars in an F1 race, including all the laps in the race, the training and the qualy does as much damage as one single truck...

Your stability specification is oriented, thus, only for shear.

This means you need a very tight controlled aggregate gradation, because that's the main way you have to achieve such high Marshall values.

It's complicated to achieve such hard mixtures: your problem is with temperature. If you allow the asphalt to become cold, being so hard, compaction is impossible.

So, you have to keep the temperature high, using special equipment for the mixture to keep warm while spreading, transferring it from the loader truck as quickly as possible.

If you are not able to keep it warm (over 150 C degrees) You can see that a "wave" develops in front of the compactor if the asphalt becomes cold, meaning the compactor cannot press it enough/.

Third layer or bituminous base is very, very hard to achieve, as the IRI especifications are usually very hard to comply, usually below 4/10th of an inch for deviations from ideal plane which correspond to IRI below 3.

Base layer is usually good at 97 percent of maximum density value. We use sand cone down here to check density, I don't know if you use other methods.

The binding of layers is also very important: you will need to use four layers.

Here you have the article I read in Asphalt Pro about pavement in Austin for the US GP, you may enjoy it as much as I did:

http://theasphaltpro.com/racetrack-mixe ... erfection/

Fourth layer or surface layer is what most builders would call impossible to achieve, specially for dragster tracks. The amount of power transmitted by the wheels is so high that irregularities over 1/10th of an inch will blow a cylinder.

This cylinder explosion, caused by a bump in the suspension, is controlled beautifully by the driver that recovers the car by miracle (at 0:40)

It's frequent for (desperate) builders, trying to achieve vertical irregularities specifications to use high density aggregates, like iron ore as fillers. As you can imagine, the load on your rock crushing equipment is also high.

You can read about high density Brainerd dragster track specs here, using taconite filler. At Brainerd racing areas have irregularities as thin as a paper sheet.

Perhaps there are a couple of threads on it, when there were more people around this site interested in circuit design, these days I'm a bit lonely.
Ciro

Tim.Wright

Ciro Pabón wrote:Marshall stability over 6.000 Newtons (1.500 pounds)
Thats one fat marshall. Must be for an American track...
Not the engineer at Force India

J.A.W.

Is Homer doing it? Doh!

F1 does run on city street roads, you might ask the FIA for a track inspectorate guideline set..
"Well, we knocked the bastard off!"

Ed Hilary on being 1st to top Mt Everest,
(& 1st to do a surface traverse across Antarctica,
in good Kiwi style - riding a Massey Ferguson farm
tractor - with a few extemporised mod's to hack the task).

DarkraiMHN

Thanks a lot for your valuable information.
@ciro, After my report is completed I'll put up the whole reference list.
I'll still follow the topic for further information and discussions

Dr.Mahudeswaran

Have you been able to get the spec of pavement.If so please send me the spec.I am supposed to execute a job.
Please share

Dr.Mahudeswaran

You are welcome to be a part of this.