Is the V6 formula a disaster for F1?

Post here all non technical related topics about Formula One. This includes race results, discussions, testing analysis etc. TV coverage and other personal questions should be in Off topic chat.
FW17

Re: Is the V6 formula a disaster for F1?

CHT wrote: There is nothing new about turbo engine. Today, we have a combo of supercharge and turbo charge or turbo diesel which offer much better torque and CO2 emission than petrol engine and Audi have been running them on Le Mans for so many years.

The future?? I am pretty sure you are going to see more electric cars on the road because turbo engine are no longer cutting edge. For that reason, there are talks the even companies like google and apple are moving into automotive industry.
No denying tat all electric would Have a bigger market but it is not going to Completely replace the IC engine for now.

While turbo diesel is popular now its market is restricted to Europe only and sooner rather than later restrictions on them is going to grow. Turbo petrol till recently Has not been used for fuel efficiency.

CHT
CHT

WilliamsF1 wrote:
CHT wrote: There is nothing new about turbo engine. Today, we have a combo of supercharge and turbo charge or turbo diesel which offer much better torque and CO2 emission than petrol engine and Audi have been running them on Le Mans for so many years.

The future?? I am pretty sure you are going to see more electric cars on the road because turbo engine are no longer cutting edge. For that reason, there are talks the even companies like google and apple are moving into automotive industry.
No denying tat all electric would Have a bigger market but it is not going to Completely replace the IC engine for now.

While turbo diesel is popular now its market is restricted to Europe only and sooner rather than later restrictions on them is going to grow. Turbo petrol till recently Has not been used for fuel efficiency.
Turbo diesel restriction is mostly down to availability of ultra low sulphur diesel and going forward I can only see more and more countries making them available due to concern about CO2 emission. Contrary to what you saying turbo engine has long been adopted by car makers to reduce CO2 emission to meet EURO emission standard. And that has even force BMW to reintroduce turbo engines, something which they had abandon in favour of their flat 6 for a long time.

If you look at current European high performance and family cars, most are already running turbo/supercharged engine using technology which has got nothing to do with the V6 formula.

sgth0mas

Even american cars and full size trucks are going turbo. Just look at the ford ecoboost family going into the F150, explorer, edge, mustang and sure others. Even the GT is getting a V6T...

There is no small diesel trend in america yet...except a very few suvs and a dodge truck.

r_b_l

WilliamsF1 wrote: While turbo diesel is popular now its market is restricted to Europe only and sooner rather than later restrictions on them is going to grow. Turbo petrol till recently Has not been used for fuel efficiency.
Turbo diesels are pretty popular over here in Australia. The popularity kicked off when petroleum prices were about double the price of diesel. However now they are about par, fuel economy is keeping them popular.

Reading an article about current car sales in Australia shows that sales for passenger vehicles such as sedans are dramatically reducing (by about a 1% rate per month) and SUV's will soon, within a year or two, be the leader of car sales in this country. They account for 35% atm. Roughly speaking its about 15,750 new Turbo diesel SUV's alone per 12 months.

As of 2011 Australia ranked 5th with the number of cars per 1000. US, Iceland, Luxembourg, New Zealand, Australia, Italy, Canada, Spain, Norway and Germany were the top 10.

I know Australia is only a small population compared to the rest of the world, but I am sure the turbo diesel popularity must also be increasing in other 1st/developed/developing countries.

F1 should at least take note of motor vehicle sale trends, if there was a major correlation between F1 & engine manufacturer car sales.

Again F1's sale pitch & direction is way off the mark in this aspect and especially when it comes to private teams that are keeping the sport alive, if I was a . If F1 was about improving or shaping cars on the road with the current rules, we would only have a few teams on the grid, car manufactures only? I have read before that Bernie would prefer that, but I don't see all these car manufactures jumping up and down wanting to enter the sport.