Best ever f1 game?

Post here all non technical related topics about Formula One. This includes race results, discussions, testing analysis etc. TV coverage and other personal questions should be in Off topic chat.
PlatinumZealot

Re: Best ever f1 game?

Gt3 had a nice feel to it... This is when I started following F1 though I had played a few N64 F1 games before.

πŸ–οΈβœŒοΈβ˜οΈπŸ‘€πŸ‘ŒβœοΈπŸŽπŸ†πŸ™

SimRacer

Best racing 'game' ever (F1 and everything else)? Is there even room for debate? Of course it is rFactor. :wink:

iRacing is very solid from the physics point of view as well, but it probably will never have even a tenth of the content rFactor has.

rFactor 2 is certainly a master piece in the making but still not ready to take the crown.

As for Codemasters titles, Forza, Grand Turismo and the other arcade games they are not awful but can't seriously be mentioned if we're talking about "best racing game ever".

PS: GPL is great too obviously!

PlatinumZealot

Racing games are more than just how accurate the physics is IMO.

Mario Kart series might very well be the best if we are thinking of the context of a racing game since games are all about fun, so it depends on the level of pureness we are talking about. If we mean 100% pureness then it is a simulator and a game and a simulator have two different objectives.
πŸ–οΈβœŒοΈβ˜οΈπŸ‘€πŸ‘ŒβœοΈπŸŽπŸ†πŸ™

wesley123

mertol wrote:Even tho the graphics were bad so far it was the least of their problems. I don't think codemasters are capable of creating a sim and anything less than a sim for F1 game is failure IMO.
No.

Why would that even be considered a failure? Creating a game after a billion dollar business/sport so that only a few can play it is just bad in every way.

These franchise games aren't supposed to be full-blown games. They are supposed to reflect F1, the game wants you to feel as good as Hamilton and make you feel like you are racing F1. It needs to be playable for the masses, not for a select few.
"Bite my shiny metal ass" - Bender

Emmcee

wesley123 wrote:
mertol wrote:Even tho the graphics were bad so far it was the least of their problems. I don't think codemasters are capable of creating a sim and anything less than a sim for F1 game is failure IMO.
No.

Why would that even be considered a failure? Creating a game after a billion dollar business/sport so that only a few can play it is just bad in every way.

These franchise games aren't supposed to be full-blown games. They are supposed to reflect F1, the game wants you to feel as good as Hamilton and make you feel like you are racing F1. It needs to be playable for the masses, not for a select few.
This is the problem, there is no sim you can buy straight of the shelf on any platform for die hard f1 fans. They have flight sim and you can't turn that on and be some one out of top gun straight of the bat it takes time to master and that's what an f1 game/sim should be. If you can turn it on and win right away without any real challenge or take pole by 5 seconds, I've lost intrest imediatly and iam sure alot of true sim racers would feel the same way.
Real eyes realise real lies - Tupac Shakur.

Lca1443

Assetto Corsa is pretty well done.

r_b_l

Emmcee wrote:
wesley123 wrote:
No.

This is the problem, there is no sim you can buy straight of the shelf on any platform for die hard f1 fans. They have flight sim and you can't turn that on and be some one out of top gun straight of the bat it takes time to master and that's what an f1 game/sim should be. If you can turn it on and win right away without any real challenge or take pole by 5 seconds, I've lost intrest imediatly and iam sure alot of true sim racers would feel the same way.
Codemasters has it wrong, wrong, wrong!!! Apart from Graphics & physics engine, which they developed from previous games. They have almost made zero development.

They do have a monopoly, they could rebadge mario cart to F1 2015 and still get a billion dollars according to what some of you are suggesting, since, everyone can play mario cart.

All previous F1 simulators had a reasonable amount of game settings. Including difficulty, driving aids, AI strength, AI Behavior/aggressiveness, car damage and car failures for both player and AI.

Furthermore with the the GP series & EA series you could easily calibrate the steering depending on how you were playing, keyboard, joystick, console or steering wheel.

With the above settings you can cater for both new players and die hard sim players, change gameplay and make it suit the players level & the difficulty settings were changed by a simple slider. Codemasters have ignored all previous games and gone with a generic Easy, Medium & hard type settings determined by themselves & no way to easily calibrate gameplay or user control for the player.

If they drop the "Simulator" title that would make me happy because as far as I am concerned its an arcade feel good game.

Don't get me started on Car setup and telemetry. Ill think ill stick with rfactor thanks!!!

Emmcee

Good post mate and I couldn't agree more. Except for ea games IMO I thought they sucked even just the shading and shadows on the cars just was wrong IMO and if you didnt have a wheel, it was mega hard to even control the car on a console controller. It had no soft turning ability it was almost full lock or nothing and you found yourself bashing against barriers especially in Monaco or cutting corners to much. I can't say how it's like with a wheel as I never experienced a ea f1 game that way.

SimRacer

PlatinumZealot wrote:Racing games are more than just how accurate the physics is IMO.

Mario Kart series might very well be the best if we are thinking of the context of a racing game since games are all about fun, so it depends on the level of pureness we are talking about. If we mean 100% pureness then it is a simulator and a game and a simulator have two different objectives.
I respect your opinion and I actually agree. I may disagree slightly only with the "fun" premise and will (try to) explain why.

So... While Mario Kart is perfectly good fun (although growing up I was more of a Rock N' Roll racing, Death Rally and Stunts kind of kid) so are all of the "pure" full blown simulators. They are just great fun! And in ways that arcade games will never even come close to be.

I just don't get the assumption that just because something aims at realism it can't be "just for fun". This is a very wrong assumption. Of course it can. Reality is fun actually. Promise you! :lol: A racing sim just try to circumvent the costs and actual dangers of said reality.

Now it is all about what YOU as a player are after. Do you seek the ultimate experience, with real world physics, driving from the cockpit with a mathematically correct FOV? Or you just want to kill some free time burning some rubber around 90ΒΊ corners while keeping at 300km/h with super ultra grippy Need For Speed style cars?

It all comes down to these two questions really... and truth is that they are both perfectly fine options. In that regard it is a matter of taste, yes.

BUT if you ask ME, F1 wise (quality and content wise)... there is just no match for rFactor 1 where you can drive most of the 60's, 70's, 80's, 90's and 2000's cars around virtually any track in the world. Hell, if for some freakish reason you're also interest in the current V6 formula you can even have them as well.

And again in regards to "having fun", you don't need to be particularly good at racing in order to have it. And I'm the living proof of that: mediocre (at best!!!) as a "simracer" but I still have a blast while at it!

The only "downside" from rFactor I see is that it really demands a considerable degree of investment in time, research and tweaking in order to acquire the proper MODs, plugins and so on (to illustrate I have +230GBs of rFactor SELECTED content acquired over the course of many months and years). It can be laborious but I tell you it is well worth it as well.

However this is almost a non-issue if you jump directly to Game Stock Car Extreme which is basically a highly polished/tweaked/modded version of rFactor, with already some pretty good content right out of the box on it. Plug and play essentially!

A force feedback wheel is obviously advised (after that's how "real" driving is actually achieved) but there's absolutely no impediment for you to use any simple joystick or keyboard if it suits you.

Still just my two cents.

SiLo

PlatinumZealot wrote:Gt3 had a nice feel to it... This is when I started following F1 though I had played a few N64 F1 games before.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IiB1IeV8alw
Trial Mountain <3 Literally my favourite race track of any game ever. I wish this was a real place that I could go and race.

And I wish they would just remake old Gran Turismo games with new graphics so I can play them all again as they were brilliant!
Felipe Baby!

Emmcee

SiLo wrote:
PlatinumZealot wrote:Gt3 had a nice feel to it... This is when I started following F1 though I had played a few N64 F1 games before.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IiB1IeV8alw
Trial Mountain <3 Literally my favourite race track of any game ever. I wish this was a real place that I could go and race.

And I wish they would just remake old Gran Turismo games with new graphics so I can play them all again as they were brilliant!
Yeah that would be good, gt has dropped the ball in recent titles haven't they? Just don't have the same appeal.

Sevach

Emmcee wrote:
mertol wrote:EA's games are great compared to codemasters'
Uggghhhh the ea f1 series was puss IMO, the handle physics were awful.
When people talk about EA F1 they really need to specify which versions they played, because EA commissioned 2 different companies to do PCs and consoles, ISI (the people from Rfactor)did the PC version and (after looking at the wiki) Visual Sciences did the console game, and they were very different from one another, completely different products not ports between different platforms.

Emmcee

Sevach wrote:
Emmcee wrote:
mertol wrote:EA's games are great compared to codemasters'
Uggghhhh the ea f1 series was puss IMO, the handle physics were awful.
When people talk about EA F1 they really need to specify which versions they played, because EA commissioned 2 different companies to do PCs and consoles, ISI (the people from Rfactor)did the PC version and (after looking at the wiki) Visual Sciences did the console game, and they were very different from one another, completely different products not ports between different platforms.
I didnt know that, but would explain why f1 career on pc was much better than the console version. Not just visually but on plability also. I loved that type of career aspect though how cars and drivers changed to the relevant years, not like now when you do a 5 year career and its the same drivers in the same teams with the same cars.

mertol

I only played the PC version. I wanna say that I don't count mods for geniune f1 experience as it is mostly made up and even if there is some real world data used it is partial as modern f1 teams don't want to give their information and details for vintage cars is very hard to find.

SimRacer

mertol wrote:I only played the PC version. I wanna say that I don't count mods for geniune f1 experience as it is mostly made up and even if there is some real world data used it is partial as modern f1 teams don't want to give their information and details for vintage cars is very hard to find.
Hummm, so MODs are "mostly made up" because modern F1 teams don't give their data... and therefore it does not count as genuine F1 experience.

But the "original content" provided by whatever company made the baseline game, somehow is less made up, and does count as genuine F1 experience, because modern F1 teams still haven't shared one bit of their data with them as well?

Got it.
Last edited by SimRacer on 19 Jun 2015, 14:18, edited 2 times in total.