Jean Alesi Suzuka 2001

Post here all non technical related topics about Formula One. This includes race results, discussions, testing analysis etc. TV coverage and other personal questions should be in Off topic chat.
Emmcee

Jean Alesi Suzuka 2001

Just came across this video and I thought I would share. Listen to this beautiful screaming v10 it all it's glory. Turn it up and enjoy.

Real eyes realise real lies - Tupac Shakur.

Samraj_official

Re: Jean Alesi Suzuka 2001

I usually watch and enjoy the old V10 music of the bygone F1 era,still miss these moments particularly Williams BMW onboards :(

Emmcee

Samraj_official wrote:I usually watch and enjoy the old V10 music of the bygone F1 era,still miss these moments particularly Williams BMW onboards :(

They sound amazing dont they? Like a proper race car.

nokivasara
nokivasara

I miss the speed they could carry through corners, watch the beginning of the lap, amazing!

Moose
Moose

nokivasara wrote:I miss the speed they could carry through corners, watch the beginning of the lap, amazing!
You don't really mean the speed they could carry through corners - the modern cars are a second a lap faster around Suzuka (yes, mod 130r being slightly different) than those cars, and the track is dominated by high speed corners.

What you mean is that you miss that it really looks like he's on the edge of losing it at all times. The modern cars seem to be on rails most of the time - twitches are very rare, and very small. Alesi looks like he's going faster simply because he's having to make many more corrections.

Emmcee

Moose wrote:
nokivasara wrote:I miss the speed they could carry through corners, watch the beginning of the lap, amazing!
You don't really mean the speed they could carry through corners - the modern cars are a second a lap faster around Suzuka (yes, mod 130r being slightly different) than those cars, and the track is dominated by high speed corners.

What you mean is that you miss that it really looks like he's on the edge of losing it at all times. The modern cars seem to be on rails most of the time - twitches are very rare, and very small. Alesi looks like he's going faster simply because he's having to make many more corrections.
They were 10 seconds a lap slower around Malaysia than they were 10 years ago, they said the winner in 2006 would have lapped Vettel 6 times. The cars were much faster than now and the turn in speed is heaps quicker.

r_b_l
r_b_l

Moose wrote:

1 second faster after 14 years, Not bad for a naturally aspirated V10 without DRS and associated electrical hybrid help. The drivers these days seem to have it a bit easy based on driver comments from those who drove back then eg. Alonso & Kimi.

Wasn't that Alesi's last race in F1, I think he got a DNF. Also I remember correctly, and I may be wrong, but wasn't Alesi the last driver to use a foot clutch?? I remember reading an article about weight reduction back in the day and his team, Cant remember if it was Sauber or Prost, but they had to make the clutch system lighter just for him :D

Just_a_fan
Just_a_fan

r_b_l wrote: 1 second faster after 14 years
Which just goes to show that the FIA's aim of ensuring that the cars don't get faster / too fast over the years has been pretty much fully achieved. :roll:

We all know that cars could be 10 seconds or more a lap faster than the 2004 cars if the engineers were allowed free rein. Most of us also realise that such speeds would be unsustainable from a safety point of view. And yes, driver safety, marshall safety and spectator safety is very important in the modern world.
If you are more fortunate than others, build a larger table not a taller fence.

rich1701
rich1701

Judging by the straight line speed alone, I think Mugan did a better job than Honda works back then. I seem to remember the 99 Jordan being quite competitive in a straight line, here it's quite a few Ks down on the mclaren. Obviously a lot of variables involved in this snapshot.

hollus

@Emmcee:
If you thought that lap from Alesi was fast, this one will make you fall from your chair (you might need to reload once or twice to get the synchronization right):
http://www.youtubedoubler.com/?video1=h ... e=debunker
This only goes to prove that camera angles can have a ridiculously large effect on perceived speed, as discussed here:

Regarding Malaysia, where the 2014 cars are about as handicapped as they could be by the circuit layout, you are a bit more right, but reports of the new cars being 100 seconds a lap slower are greatly exaggerated. I´ll let you find out the real numbers by yourself.

P.S. The earth is flat and man never set foot on the moon... "they said". I´ll be happier if I never see that expression again in F1T, numbers are much preferable.
Rivals, not enemies.

r_b_l
r_b_l

rich1701 wrote:Judging by the straight line speed alone, I think Mugan did a better job than Honda works back then. I seem to remember the 99 Jordan being quite competitive in a straight line, here it's quite a few Ks down on the mclaren. Obviously a lot of variables involved in this snapshot.
I think you are correct from my memory the Honda RA001E was also not as reliable. That Mugen engine in 99 did not have an engine failure, unfortunately Hill had plenty of DNF's

Emmcee

hollus wrote:@Emmcee:
If you thought that lap from Alesi was fast, this one will make you fall from your chair (you might need to reload once or twice to get the synchronization right):
This only goes to prove that camera angles can have a ridiculously large effect on perceived speed, as discussed here:

Regarding Malaysia, where the 2014 cars are about as handicapped as they could be by the circuit layout, you are a bit more right, but reports of the new cars being 100 seconds a lap slower are greatly exaggerated. I´ll let you find out the real numbers by yourself.

P.S. The earth is flat and man never set foot on the moon... "they said". I´ll be happier if I never see that expression again in F1T, numbers are much preferable.
Just watch this then. Schumacher 2004 vs Hamilton 2015 Australia comparison lap. At then end, Hamilton is turning into the second last corner while Schumi is already halfway down the straight. This NA v10 vs turbo 6

[youtube]http://youtube.com/watch?v=sU6Qt8X6gh8[/youtube]
Last edited by Emmcee on 19 Jun 2015, 05:01, edited 1 time in total.

Emmcee

There's no comparison, just the turn in speed alone is heaps quicker.

Moose
Moose

Emmcee wrote:
Moose wrote:

They were 10 seconds a lap slower around Malaysia than they were 10 years ago, they said the winner in 2006 would have lapped Vettel 6 times. The cars were much faster than now and the turn in speed is heaps quicker.
But they were 1.5 seconds a lap faster around suzuka than the lap shown in the video ;)

Moose
Moose

hollus wrote:@Emmcee:
Heh, which further cements my point - the 2014 car demolishes the 2001 one through the high downforce section. It carries far more speed through the corners.

Again - what people liked watching was not people carrying speed through the corners - it was the cars looking on the verge of spinning out of control, and the driver actually having to do something to catch it.
Just watch this then. Schumacher 2004 vs Hamilton 2015 Australia comparison lap. At then end, Hamilton is turning into the second last corner while Schumi is already halfway down the straight. This NA v10 vs turbo 6
You guys are missing the point here. No one said "the 2014/15 cars are the fastest F1 cars ever". You don't need to drag up 2004 cars, and circuits that favour them. We know the 2004 cars were monsters.

The point is that watching that 2001 lap and saying "wow, he carries speed through the corners, I wish modern F1 was like that" is bullshit. As you can plainly see, modern F1 cars carry more speed through the corners than Alesi's 2001 Jordan (or the 2001 McLaren for that matter). The thing people are wishing for is the driver having to do spectacular things to keep the car on the track, not cars that are faster through the corners.