Jean Alesi Suzuka 2001

Post here all non technical related topics about Formula One. This includes race results, discussions, testing analysis etc. TV coverage and other personal questions should be in Off topic chat.
Emmcee

Re: Jean Alesi Suzuka 2001

Moose wrote:
hollus wrote:@Emmcee:
If you thought that lap from Alesi was fast, this one will make you fall from your chair (you might need to reload once or twice to get the synchronization right):
http://www.youtubedoubler.com/?video1=h ... e=debunker
Heh, which further cements my point - the 2014 car demolishes the 2001 one through the high downforce section. It carries far more speed through the corners.

Again - what people liked watching was not people carrying speed through the corners - it was the cars looking on the verge of spinning out of control, and the driver actually having to do something to catch it.
Just watch this then. Schumacher 2004 vs Hamilton 2015 Australia comparison lap. At then end, Hamilton is turning into the second last corner while Schumi is already halfway down the straight. This NA v10 vs turbo 6
You guys are missing the point here. No one said "the 2014/15 cars are the fastest F1 cars ever". You don't need to drag up 2004 cars, and circuits that favour them. We know the 2004 cars were monsters.

The point is that watching that 2001 lap and saying "wow, he carries speed through the corners, I wish modern F1 was like that" is bullshit. As you can plainly see, modern F1 cars carry more speed through the corners than Alesi's 2001 Jordan (or the 2001 McLaren for that matter). The thing people are wishing for is the driver having to do spectacular things to keep the car on the track, not cars that are faster through the corners.
Yeah your right, it's the "hanging on edge" that makes them look faster. The newer cars look like there glued to the track and to answer the question, yes I would like to see more agression required to drive them.
Real eyes realise real lies - Tupac Shakur.

Just_a_fan
Just_a_fan

Emmcee wrote:Just watch this then. Schumacher 2004 vs Hamilton 2015 Australia comparison lap. At then end, Hamilton is turning into the second last corner while Schumi is already halfway down the straight. This NA v10 vs turbo 6
No, it's two totally different sets of rules including two different types of tyres.

I'm not convinced those videos are fair comparisons - the way the Hamilton one is cut at the end suggests he was continuing on at pace which makes me wonder if the lap shown was a top speed Q3 - the Schumacher one appears to be a qualifying lap judging by his reaction at the end.

The Mercedes looks like it is well within itself which is not what one would expect of a Hamilton Q3 lap either.
If you are more fortunate than others, build a larger table not a taller fence.

Emmcee

Just_a_fan wrote:
Emmcee wrote:Just watch this then. Schumacher 2004 vs Hamilton 2015 Australia comparison lap. At then end, Hamilton is turning into the second last corner while Schumi is already halfway down the straight. This NA v10 vs turbo 6
No, it's two totally different sets of rules including two different types of tyres.

I'm not convinced those videos are fair comparisons - the way the Hamilton one is cut at the end suggests he was continuing on at pace which makes me wonder if the lap shown was a top speed Q3 - the Schumacher one appears to be a qualifying lap judging by his reaction at the end.

The Mercedes looks like it is well within itself which is not what one would expect of a Hamilton Q3 lap either.
Even the drivers though admit there much slower. Especially drivers like alonso,button, Raikkonen and Massa who have driven the v10,v8 and now the turbo era cars.

nokivasara
nokivasara

Interesting, I agree that a car that is a handful to drive is more fun to watch. More impressive too.

But any driver would of course rather drive one that's well balanced and has smooth power delivery.
I know I would :mrgreen:

What's the difference in turn in speed at beckets 2001-2014?

EDIT: How about acceleration out of corners? Surely the 2015 cars are quicker?

Manoah2u
Manoah2u

i'm sure all these v6 haterism would be swiftly gone when the fuel flow limit would be removed, and we'd have v6T engines 'screaming' to 15.000 RPM. it would give the impression of much more speed, much faster, and would be much more enjoyable for viewers.

that's really all that there's to it.

remember Senna's legendary monaco qually lap(s)? remember Senna driving his ''ss off around any track? that was a V6Turbo, too, and it sounds magnificient.

take away the castration and you solve the biggest problem fans are dealing with in just a single blow.
"Explain the ending to F1 in football terms"
"Hamilton was beating Verstappen 7-0, then the ref decided F%$& rules, next goal wins
while also sending off 4 Hamilton players to make it more interesting"

Moose
Moose

For me, it's more likely that the complaints would be gone if the tires were improved. The reason we're not seeing cars slipping and sliding is because the drivers are having to be very very very careful to not damage the tires.

Emmcee

Iam not a v6 hater but I hate the sound and as already mentioned, if the fuel flow reg was gone and teams able to run max rpm, that would be solved.

ChrisDanger
ChrisDanger

It seems to me that the vibration of the camera adds to the sense of speed.

Also I went from riding a V-twin bike to an inline 4 of the same capacity, and just the engine sound and generally higher revs made everything seem much more exciting.

Illustrated Tech
Illustrated Tech

I don't recall drivers at that time saying the cars were too easy to drive - looking at that footage I'm amazed they had time to breath...

Emmcee

Illustrated Tech wrote:I don't recall drivers at that time saying the cars were too easy to drive - looking at that footage I'm amazed they had time to breath...
Exactly, they really struggled.

Vettel Maggot
Vettel Maggot

Alesi, always spectacular. Look at his hands, always working away at the wheel.

Emmcee

Vettel Maggot wrote:https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YoQpIHkfTG0

Yep he was always exciting to watch and had reflexes like a cat, he held his wheel at the 10-2 position, quite odd for a f1 driver but it obviously worked for him, incredible driver and another incredible clip, awesome sound and footage, thanks for sharing. Lovely looking car to that Prost. Also loved his chrome helmet over the white.

Manoah2u
Manoah2u

Emmcee wrote:
Vettel Maggot wrote:https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YoQpIHkfTG0

Yep he was always exciting to watch and had reflexes like a cat, he held his wheel at the 10-2 position, quite odd for a f1 driver but it obviously worked for him, incredible driver and another incredible clip, awesome sound and footage, thanks for sharing. Lovely looking car to that Prost. Also loved his chrome helmet over the white.
i'll just leave this here

:mrgreen:

there was commenting for several laps how Alesi seemed to miss the pitsigns begging him to come in for fuel,
as iirc the radio was somehow unavailable.
"Hamilton was beating Verstappen 7-0, then the ref decided F%$& rules, next goal wins

Manoah2u
Manoah2u

nevertheless, Alesi was a great driver to watch indeed though!

loving the battle, loving the japanese commentators just as much :mrgreen:

ChrisF1
ChrisF1

Manoah2u wrote:i'll just leave this here

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zQN49SnvJ_o

:mrgreen:

there was commenting for several laps how Alesi seemed to miss the pitsigns begging him to come in for fuel,
as iirc the radio was somehow unavailable.
Didn't he turn the radio off in one race because he was fed up with radio Todt/Briatore - can't remember which one..