Overbeeke Closed canopy f1 concept

Post here all non technical related topics about Formula One. This includes race results, discussions, testing analysis etc. TV coverage and other personal questions should be in Off topic chat.
rich1701

Overbeeke Closed canopy f1 concept

https://www.behance.net/gallery/2719172 ... ed-cockpit

I don't like the rear wing. Otherwise it's interesting.

Manoah2u

Re: Overbeeke Closed canopy f1 concept

rich1701 wrote:https://www.behance.net/gallery/2719172 ... ed-cockpit

I don't like the rear wing. Otherwise it's interesting.
oh dear, not this stuff again.
"Explain the ending to F1 in football terms"
"Hamilton was beating Verstappen 7-0, then the ref decided F%$& rules, next goal wins
while also sending off 4 Hamilton players to make it more interesting"

Emmcee

I like it, except it gives the appearance of an off road vehicle with the under body clearance. The second f1 has a closed cockpit, it's no longer f1. That's what prototype lmp cars are right?
Real eyes realise real lies - Tupac Shakur.

SectorOne

Emmcee wrote:The second f1 has a closed cockpit, it's no longer f1. That's what prototype lmp cars are right?
Would you consider an open cockpit LMP to be an F1 car?
It´s a very blurry line on what separates LMP and F1 if you look at things like Newey´s Gran Turismo concept but i think you can make a distinction in the real world by differentiating if its an open wheeler or not.
"If the only thing keeping a person decent is the expectation of divine reward, then brother that person is a piece of sh*t"

Emmcee

SectorOne wrote:
Emmcee wrote:The second f1 has a closed cockpit, it's no longer f1. That's what prototype lmp cars are right?
Would you consider an open cockpit LMP to be an F1 car?
It´s a very blurry line on what separates LMP and F1 if you look at things like Newey´s Gran Turismo concept but i think you can make a distinction in the real world by differentiating if its an open wheeler or not.
Well exactly right but in saying that, IMO it still wouldn't be a f1 car with a closed cockpit. What, they going to put wipers on the windows to for rain? It has to stay an open cockpit for it to be formula one, but that's just my opinion.

ME4ME

F1 for me: The fastest cars, the best drivers and the most advanced technology.

Open cockpit or not doesn't matter in my oppinion.
I think some of these concepts are great, and shows what could be possible.
Obviously not all conceps are even remotely realistic from an engineering point of view, but very cool non the less.

Somehow by seeing what could be, I feel a bit sad with the cars we have at the moment. F1 has so much more to offer.

Andres125sx

Another poor concept wich ignores cars sometimes end up upside down....

There´s a reason for LMP car to use lateral doors, not sure why people insist re-inventing the wheel

Emmcee

ME4ME wrote:F1 for me: The fastest cars, the best drivers and the most advanced technology.

Open cockpit or not doesn't matter in my oppinion.
I think some of these concepts are great, and shows what could be possible.
Obviously not all conceps are even remotely realistic from an engineering point of view, but very cool non the less.

Somehow by seeing what could be, I feel a bit sad with the cars we have at the moment. F1 has so much more to offer.
Ohh yeah just go back to 2008 when they had all those aero bits everywhere, they looked great back then.

Here's is a pic of the 2009 BMW sauber and is basically what we have now, so boring compared to the 2008 car which shows the innovation possible.

Manoah2u

This canopy nonsense needs to stop.

it's not f1, it's not motorsport, and it's dangerous.

indeed, there is zero thought given into safety regarding these canopy designs, which is ironic at best.
The empty-headed idea that a canopy makes the car safer has people so focused on it's implementation or possibility
that they completely forget the canopy in itself is actually a very serious and grave danger.

The canopy should protect the driver from incidents like a loose wheel or freak crashes, that's the short-sighted idea.

Instead, this design makes it far more unsafe for a driver.
entrapment; high possibility to burn to a crisp inside.
after a collision causing the mechanism to be stuck and immovable. do we really want that?
upside down - can't get out. unconsious driver upside down, yeah, that'll be a nice job for the marshalls and doctor to reach the driver when he's upside down with a closed canopy.

visability? what do you think rain will do to these canopies? Have you seen how many times the F1 helmet visor layers needs to be teared off? because of 1: oil, dirt, hot tire rubber sticking to any surface it makes contact with, and then the rain. good luck with that with a canopy. What's next, windshield wipers?

everytime i see these canopy designs on 'current' f1 cars i can't help but get my eyes rolling and get a unpleasent, awkward and annoying feeling.

People cry murder and thunder when a 17 year old enters the sport and F1 gets labeled 'too soft' and 'too easy' and demand change and more danger and effort. But Yeah, let's bring in a canopy, that's totally in line with that. #-o

not to mention the canopy designs go back as far as in the 60's in F1. It's nothing new, F1 was more dangerous in the 60's
and there was reason not to use such a thing in F1 as far as back then. there's a good reason that in 50 years this trash never has been implemented.

and why would it be implemented? because of a freak incident where a one in a million situation occured because of a recovery vechicle?

Instead of spending all this money and time on research and work in some 'canopy' idea, this time would be much better invested spending into making sure the REAL cause of the accident is taken away;

the fact that the Japan 2014 race should and must have had been either cancelled or at the very least ended at least 10 laps before the (reasonably fatal) accident of Bianchi occured.

it's like demanding motorcycles to have 4 wheels and a cage around them because there are huge holes in the asphalt. the problem is not the motorcycle, the problem are the holes in the asphalt. fix the asphalt.

recent causes for coming up with this lunatic canopy idea were:

Massa freak loose spring incident :

Cause : a freak, extremely rare incident.

Solution : stronger more robust helmet (visor) design. DONE. FIXED.

> fixed without the need for some stupid canopy.

GP driver get's hit in the head by loose wheel

Cause : in a freak crash incident a wheele came loose and unfortunately came exactly in contact with the driver's head.

Solution : Make the wheels virtually impossible to become a loose projectile and impose severe penalties when wheels are not safely connected. DONE.FIXED

Alonso's head nearly chopped off at Spa

Cause : idiot driver plows through the entire field because he's an idiot with personal issues and can't adapt accordingly.

Solution : Ban the driver for a race and demand he improves his racecraft and control and mindset so he won't be a danger to others, and punish unsafe driving in the future more severe for any incident. DONE. FIXED

Freak incident wheren Bianchi catapults into a 4-tonne recovery vehicle

Cause : A race that should have been stopped 10 laps earlier due to extreme rain, already begged for by several F1 drivers, the race had enough laps done to flag with full finishing points, and there was no reason to believe there could have been any difference in it's finishing position, has a crash due to this very extreme weather and instead of bringing out the safety car or even red flagging the race due to this 'final drop in the bucket' for this dangerous race that has gotten dark too thanks to postponing it - has a freak incident where at the moment a recovery vehicle was swiftly removing the crashed vehicle at the same very point a driver loses control and from all directions plows straight into the recovery vehicle.

Solution : Never ever allow a F1 race to continue when dusk sets in, when there is such severe rain that it's completely unsafe and irresponsible to continue, and either red-flag the race or bring in a safety car in such a situation.
Virtual Safety Car implemented, likely to have the race stopped 'next time'.thus fixed

remind me again why on earths'name this stupid canopy idea still has life in it while it's a 50 year old dead horse that keeps getting poked again and again? #-o :roll:

as for this specific canopy design;

like mentioned before; the idea of the canopy itself is dangerous and unsafe, which makes the entire idea behind it stupid.
second of all, it's very poorly executed: the mirrors? :lol: you can't even see anything but that weird 'melted' shaped rear wing. the front wing grants it too little grip, the body itself creates too much lift, and dual exhausts for a v6 single turbo? :roll:

Overbeeke's other designs, on the other side, are astounding and awesome.

https://www.behance.net/gallery/2517480 ... -1-Concept

this is what F1 should be all about - bar the dual exhaust in this case.
i would vouch for this '17 redbull f1 car design. amazing.

same with the Williams car,

https://www.behance.net/gallery/2434142 ... -1-Concept

except the rear wing and the sidepod openings look like it's been out in the sun. Apart from that, the wide-track suspension is the best thing that could happen to F1.
Last edited by Manoah2u on 21 Jun 2015, 14:23, edited 4 times in total.
"Hamilton was beating Verstappen 7-0, then the ref decided F%$& rules, next goal wins

piast9

Emmcee wrote:Ohh yeah just go back to 2008 when they had all those aero bits everywhere, they looked great back then.

Here's is a pic of the 2009 BMW sauber and is basically what we have now, so boring compared to the 2008 car which shows the innovation possible.
It depends on who is looking. For me for example that 2008 car is a mess and 2009 is elegant and clean. And I don't think a zillion of tiny appendages on the bodywork as an innovation. And I like the pics from the first post.

Manoah2u

piast9 wrote:
Emmcee wrote:Ohh yeah just go back to 2008 when they had all those aero bits everywhere, they looked great back then.

It depends on who is looking. For me for example that 2008 car is a mess and 2009 is elegant and clean. And I don't think a zillion of tiny appendages on the bodywork as an innovation. .
agreed. the 2008 cars were too overdone, too croweded.

the only problem with the 2009 cars were the huge front wings and narrow high rear wings. if that was balanced better it would have looked a million times better.

FW17

I like this pic

wesley123

Manoah2u wrote: after a collision causing the mechanism to be stuck and immovable. do we really want that?
The same applies to the headrest.
upside down - can't get out. unconsious driver upside down, yeah, that'll be a nice job for the marshalls and doctor to reach the driver when he's upside down with a closed canopy.
The same applies without the canopy.
what do you think rain will do to these canopies?
The same as visors
Have you seen how many times the F1 helmet visor layers needs to be teared off?
At LM they got these tear offs for the windscreens, so the same applies.
What's next, windshield wipers?
Yes, that does sound like a good idea if you want to apply a canopy.
and why would it be implemented? because of a freak incident where a one in a million situation occured because of a recovery vechicle?
That's the reason why most of the safety systems are implemented. Apparently killing off drivers(or people trackside) is bad for business.
Instead of spending all this money and time on research and work in some 'canopy' idea, this time would be much better invested spending into making sure the REAL cause of the accident is taken away;
So, taking away the cause if these accidents, I assume you are talking about robots?
the fact that the Japan 2014 race should and must have had been either cancelled or at the very least ended at least 10 laps before the (reasonably fatal) accident of Bianchi occured.
No, but that's a matter of opinion. Afaik Fuji 2007 was way, way wetter(for example). Bianchi went off track because he drove too quick in the corner. To stop a race because a driver can make an error is a bit over-the-top if you ask me.

it's like demanding motorcycles to have 4 wheels and a cage around them because there are huge holes in the asphalt. the problem is not the motorcycle, the problem are the holes in the asphalt. fix the asphalt.
Except motorcycles are by definition 2-wheeled. But to use your analogy, the asphalt in your analogy is the canopy. the problem that is called is that a drivers head is deemed to be "too exposed", thus, the solution is to remove that exposure by ie. a canopy. You said it yourself; you fix the problem, not run around it.
recent causes for coming up with this lunatic canopy idea were:

Massa freak loose spring incident :

Cause : a freak, extremely rare incident.

Solution : stronger more robust helmet (visor) design. DONE. FIXED.

GP driver get's hit in the head by loose wheel

Cause : in a freak crash incident a wheele came loose and unfortunately came exactly in contact with the driver's head.

Solution : Make the wheels virtually impossible to become a loose projectile and impose severe penalties when wheels are not safely connected. DONE.FIXED

Alonso's head nearly chopped off at Spa

Cause : idiot driver plows through the entire field because he's an idiot with personal issues and can't adapt accordingly.

Solution : Ban the driver for a race and demand he improves his racecraft and control and mindset so he won't be a danger to others, and punish unsafe driving in the future more severe for any incident. DONE. FIXED

Freak incident wheren Bianchi catapults into a 4-tonne recovery vehicle

Cause : A race that should have been stopped 10 laps earlier due to extreme rain, already begged for by several F1 drivers, the race had enough laps done to flag with full finishing points, and there was no reason to believe there could have been any difference in it's finishing position, has a crash due to this very extreme weather and instead of bringing out the safety car or even red flagging the race due to this 'final drop in the bucket' for this dangerous race that has gotten dark too thanks to postponing it - has a freak incident where at the moment a recovery vehicle was swiftly removing the crashed vehicle at the same very point a driver loses control and from all directions plows straight into the recovery vehicle.

Solution : Never ever allow a F1 race to continue when dusk sets in, when there is such severe rain that it's completely unsafe and irresponsible to continue, and either red-flag the race or bring in a safety car in such a situation.
Virtual Safety Car implemented, likely to have the race stopped 'next time'.thus fixed

So earlier you said that people should fix the problem, instead of turning around it giving an alternate solution to the individual problem, yet, here it suddenly is okay? In every case here the problem was the head was too exposed, thus, the solution would be to stop that exposure. That's exactly what you pointed out with your analogy.
remind me again why on earths'name this stupid canopy idea still has life in it while it's a 50 year old dead horse that keeps getting poked again and again? #-o :roll:
Because the drivers head is exposed, and recent events have pointed out that that still is a problem.
"Bite my shiny metal ass" - Bender

PlatinumZealot

🖐️✌️☝️👀👌✍️🐎🏆🙏

Andres125sx

Wesley, I agree with almost all you said, but here I can´t
wesley123 wrote:
Manoah2u wrote: after a collision causing the mechanism to be stuck and immovable. do we really want that?
The same applies to the headrest.
The same applies without the canopy.
No, the same can´t be applied without the canopy because then there´s nothing trapping the driver

Maybe you´re talking generally, or you simply didn´t watch the concept we´re discussing in this thread, because it´s pretty obvious this concept didn´t consider drivers need to get out of the car even if it´s upside down

I´m not against closed canopies, IMO they´re a matter of time, once a driver get caught as Alonso could have been in Spa 12 or Kimi in Austria 15, they´ll stop asking for ideas and will make it mandatory. But the concept of this thread is just a marketing product, it is beauty, stilish... but simply can´t work if the car is upside down