Overbeeke Closed canopy f1 concept

Post here all non technical related topics about Formula One. This includes race results, discussions, testing analysis etc. TV coverage and other personal questions should be in Off topic chat.
FW17

Re: Overbeeke Closed canopy f1 concept

I dont see how the Halo would be from the drivers perspective.

I find that it would be a major hindrance

cmF1

FW17 wrote:I dont see how the Halo would be from the drivers perspective.

I assume that the upright that's in the line of sight would be like looking at radio antennas on the nose currently. After a while the drive wouldn't even see it because he is focusing beyond it.
プラスとマイナス

FW17

cmF1 wrote:
FW17 wrote:I dont see how the Halo would be from the drivers perspective.

I assume that the upright that's in the line of sight would be like looking at radio antennas on the nose currently. After a while the drive wouldn't even see it because he is focusing beyond it.

It is not only about the vertical stack but also the horizontal

cmF1

Pardon my ignorance but from the drivers eye level, what will they need to see that the halo is diverting from their view?
プラスとマイナス

theblackangus
theblackangus

If the pictures above are the correct height for the T-section in front of the driver, I could see that being an issue on some downhill areas, possibly obstructing traffic coming up or even looking at a coming corner. If it was higher less so.
Honestly that nice view surprised me at how little the upright would actually bother me assuming it was that thin.

RicME85

Yeah it will be changes in elevation where the halo will be an obstruction

hollus

Would visibility with this halo be so much different than in any of these?
Rivals, not enemies.

RicME85

Have you read this?
RicME85 wrote:Ant Davidson talks about it - https://willthef1journo.wordpress.com/2 ... rotection/

hollus

Now I have, thanks. And he seems to think that the situation is much worse in LMP1. He has one complaint about the halo and welcomes it in comparison to the advantages.
Rivals, not enemies.

theblackangus
theblackangus

hollus wrote: Would visibility with this halo be so much different than in any of these?
Yeah an LMP car looks pretty brutal from that point too, I haven't really seen any drivers eye views. The lmp cameras always seem to be closer to the windshield than the driver.

FW17

There is a difference with LMP 1 cockpit, there is no visibility above a certain level; while in the halo splits the view. focus of the driver will also be interrupted with something near the center of the line of focus.

poolboy67

why dont they just make them like lmp1 cars. that'll solve the problem... oh wait, it would not be an open wheeler anymore.

seriously tho. NO MORE OBSTRUCTIONS FOR DRIVERS, they can't see out and most inportantly we cannot see them. furthermore, if F1 keeps on going the way it is going, soon we'll have cars that look like cheap rc toys and sound like some stupid voice imitation of a vacuum cleaner.
you wonder why f1 was much more popular back in the old days? well because the drivers were HEROES! not some wimpy whiney millionares on a gold lined seat (schumi). people were excited by the dangers and the courage of the drivers in the sport. i could get on and on about what should be done to f1, but the fans certainly don't see as much charm in the current state of the sport as in the past. i very much think its because of all this stupid green and overly-safe thinking.
where's the v10s with massive horsepower and huge noise you would not hear from anything else? where's the daring and entertaining driving? can't even see the driver, but his helmet and sometimes his fingers. the sport has distanced itself from the fans.

can't put a windshield there, because it seriously is useless in an f1 car. the speeds are so high that whatever object that could ever cause damage to a human body, will fly trough the glass. there's is no miracle glass/plastic that would weigh as little as possible, while still giving basicly ballistic cover. also, medical recovery is quite hard already as it is.

woudn't put anything more in the view of the driver. the lmp1 cars are horrible to see out of. i cannot imagine that being a very good thing when thinking starts and so on. do remember that the WEC has rolling starts, and since it's a race against time (really) nobody wants to really fight for positions at the start. the tracks are also quite easy. cant imagine an lmp1 car racing in monaco in a 70 lap race. to put it bluntly, lmp1 cars may not need as much visibility as f1.
like anthony davidson said, anything in the front of the drivers field of view is not an optimal thing. we've also lately seen some lmp cars crashin onto other cars, which can be directly attributed to the poor visibility. crashes like McNish in le mans 2011

so what would i suggest? an easy and cheap solution that will not effect the drivers view, our view of the driver and sertainly it will not add silly structures or whatever: two or more rods that shoot up from the sides of the monocoque. these would be activated by sensors located in the front of the car. the sensors would detect if, for example, the car would get driven under another car.
these have a similar idea: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zUNyInW3K6Q ofcourse they're slow. the rods can be shot up in an instant with a small explosive charge placed in the rod mechanism. think this is unsafe? well then you should be affraid to step into any normal road car, because you've got a live explosive right under your arse: the seat belt tensioner.
this solution is very cheap, effective and easy. no need to waste millions on pickin lint out of your bellybutton.

and it serves no scientific purpose to make these photoshopped images of the drivers view, because they cannot ever match human field of view. you put your hand sideways in front of your eyes at 30-40cm, then look past the hand and you'll see what i mean. now imagine that hand being in front of you ALL THE TIME. couple that with the already poor visibility out of an f1 car, and the fact that your head will be shaking violently the whole time you're on track.... it just doesn't work.
i have dyslexia and english is not my native language. please be gentle.

godlameroso

With all the money in F1 I'm surprised the helmets don't have HUD's and cameras on the car to give drivers unobstructed view, kind of like the F-35.
Saishū kōnā

Manoah2u
Manoah2u

because a f1 helmet is designed to protect the driver, whilst remaining aerodynamic.

a f35 helmet is designed to help the pilot in destroying opponents and surveilling and does not need to protect or be aerodynamic. it only needs to additionaly aid the pilot in supplying oxygen for its own safety.

i am still very much against a t-bone halo. matter of fact, i'm very much against semi-closed cockpits. the only thing i could remotely find fitting in f1 is larger windscreens capable of deflecting debris. caging drivers is imho a bad move.

f1 is open-cockpit open-wheeler 'man' sport. i still find it rediculous that theyre implementing 'safety measures' that are totally unneccesary as the cause for this 'implementations' do not originate from a lack of these devices. wheels can't come off f1 cars anymore due to the technical devices implemented to prevent such a thing happening.
no matter what you put on a car, the rapid decelleration caused by hammering into a multi-tonne tractor in japan 2014 has the same effect either way. the problem was not the lack of a halo or canopy, the problem was 1 and foremost that this race was (still) under away and 2) that upon the sutil incident the safety car was not called out and 3) that there was a tractor in collision course.

its like fixing the results of a non-functioning red intersection light by demanding all cars get implemented a proximity auto-stop device, a double-layered mattress on front, and that all pedestrians must wear a impact-resistant deflating transparent balloon around them.
you fix the red light.

it's insane that this is actually being pushed, especially concidering they now are going to run a super-narrow street circuit in politically incorrect azerbadjan @ the narrow brick streets of baku. :roll:
"Explain the ending to F1 in football terms"
"Hamilton was beating Verstappen 7-0, then the ref decided F%$& rules, next goal wins
while also sending off 4 Hamilton players to make it more interesting"