Silly season 2016

Post here all non technical related topics about Formula One. This includes race results, discussions, testing analysis etc. TV coverage and other personal questions should be in Off topic chat.
SunsAnvil

Re: Silly season 2016

Ferrari usually takes experienced drivers so I don't think a junior like Max is a possibility for a race seat (no matter how good they look). The question is whether a driver like Ricciardo is considered "mature enough" by them but I can't see Ricciardo and Vettel in the same team so it will need to be someone that would be a good team mate for Vettel. I think he'd want a good number 2 and since it is the silly season, why not suggest Rosberg because he seems very good at coming second!

raymondu999

GPR-A wrote:I am surprised, you are saying Kimi IS STILL PART OF THE PLAN, even if it C !
No he's not part of "the" plan. He is part of the backup plan... and even then he is the backup. If all goes wrong, they take Kimi. They have to have a fallback, no?
失败者找理由,成功者找方法

Vasconia

wickedz50 wrote:It will be interesting if Ferrari can get Max next year. I will pitch for a young raw talent who is capable to take risk and potentially drive the skin out of that Ferrari. They need to take some risk.
Hulkenberg or Bottas deserve this seat MUCH more. Come on, both drivers are very talented and still young, you cant choose a rockie instead of them. A few good races are not enough, he needs to take some experience before.

Nathanael F1

I don't think Ferrari will take Max. Back in 2013 Ferrari didn't even choose Perez, who had already finished on the podium, because they felt he was lacking in experience. And Perez was even part of their academy.http://m.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/102478
Favorite Team: Scuderia Ferrari
Favorite Driver: Nico Hülkenberg

zeph

I have no problem with Hulkenberg, but there must be a reason why he has been passed over time and time again. At this point in his career I don't see any of the bigger teams scoop him up.

As for Bottas, he seems solid, too, but again, he's not exactly creaming Massa.

Despite his recent dip in form, I'd keep Raikkonen for now if I were Ferrari. He'll snap out of it, and when he is on his game he is still capable of taking the fight to Vettel. If he doesn't shape up, I'd consider Ricciardo before any of the others, but I suspect Vettel would veto that.

iotar__

zeph wrote:I have no problem with Hulkenberg, but there must be a reason why he has been passed over time and time again. At this point in his career I don't see any of the bigger teams scoop him up.

As for Bottas, he seems solid, too, but again, he's not exactly creaming Massa.

Despite his recent dip in form, I'd keep Raikkonen for now if I were Ferrari. He'll snap out of it, and when he is on his game he is still capable of taking the fight to Vettel. If he doesn't shape up, I'd consider Ricciardo before any of the others, but I suspect Vettel would veto that.
I think he's good albeit overrated and there is a difference between solid, defensive midfield driving and race after race of high pressure top team no margin for error environment but I hate this argument:
1. Just look around and see who and why was hired by so called top teams (or at least rich teams). Magnussen - idee fixe of Ron Dennis and rushed debut, Red Bull only hiring their program drivers (with predictable result once they tasted some competition), Raikkonen and Alonso.

2. He was almost hired by Ferrari if you believe his manager before they made a mistake, so looks like they thought he was good enough for Alonso's nr 2 and your argument is invalid. Not that it means much looking at decision making mentioned above. Now it's Arrivabene, Marchonne, politics and marketing =P~ making driver choices. The difference with McLaren/Magnussen was that they couldn't afford avoiding objective truths and costs.

Hulkenberg is a good example of only good news marketing when it's Perez having great races there is silence when it's him there is noise, good media connections I guess. Raikkonen's recent dip?? I'd rather not repeat what I think about 2012- Lotus but it has been two full years of objectively awful period, slow and full of mistakes with dozens of examples. Ricciardo has had a mediocre season with some bad races and his main benchmark is Kvyat. Verstappen's only achievements are age and getting outpaced by a rookie and unknown quality Sainz. Best test of their value would be RB leaving so let's hope it happens :evil: .

sgth0mas

Wouldnt bottas be one of the top ferrari choices? He seems pretty consistent even with the issues hes had. Experienced but still young enough.

Emmcee

Isn't Ricardo still under contract for next season though? I thought he was.
Real eyes realise real lies - Tupac Shakur.

skoop

if another red bull driver leaves for a ferrari seat dr. markos head will explode :D

back on topic: do you guys think mclaren will keep button? i don't ask this becouse of his performance (wich can't be judged fairly witht hat car), but he didn't seem to be first choice for this season. maybe vandoorne in to get some experience in a car which can't compete anyway for titles and then start attacking 2017? (of course i don't know if the car will be competitative or not. just a possible approach for mclaren)

ChrisDanger

As far as I remember Button's contract negotiations went on for so long because McLaren wanted to sign for a year, and he wanted three years. Looks like they settled on two in the end.

http://www1.skysports.com/f1/news/24180 ... -year-deal

ME4ME

I honestly can't see Button driving for Mclaren next year. I think he has had enough. WEC would suit him well.
Mclaren has Magnussen and Vandoorne ready to jump in. They probably pick one of them, and park the other at Manor.

LookBackTime

Ferrari has launched a bid to secure the services of Williams driver Valtteri Bottas, according to reports emerging in Germany, making an official offer to release the highly rated Finn from the Grove outfit.

Amid heightening speculation about Kimi Raikkonen’s future at the Italian team, the report said Ferrari has made “an offer” not only to Finn Bottas, but also his current team Williams.

That is because the British team has a firm contractual ‘option’ on Bottas’ services for 2016, and is determined to keep the highly-rated 25-year-old.

“It would be a pity if he leaves the team,” said Williams’ experienced technical boss Pat Symonds. “I know he feels very comfortable here, and he is an important part of the team.”

Bild claims that Ferrari is offering to pay Williams €4 million to release the young Finn, “but deputy boss Claire Williams is demanding much more”.

The report believes Williams’ counter-offer could be as much as EUR €15 million, which has been initially rejected by Ferrari’s Maurizio Arrivabene.

But Bild said that if Bottas ultimately does go to Ferrari, the main contender to fill his place at Williams would be the team’s driver of 2010, Nico Hulkenberg.

The report said Hulkenberg is not in the running at Ferrari because the Italian team would not want to pair Sebastian Vettel with a second German driver.

source: http://www.grandprix247.com/2015/06/24/ ... -williams/

Jolle

My guess is that Ferrari want a steady number two guy, Hulk would fit the bill but the marketing people would question having two germans in the team.
I could even see Button having one or two years in red, or they could pick up Perez for a season or two.

Bottas is fast but the last few races he isn't doing it for me next to Massa, the difference is too small. He would be a great option for McLaren next to Alonso next year.

Mercedes will have two more years of Hamilton/Rosberg, a combination that works so far. I imagine Toto is already planning for 2018, when Rosberg is out of a contract and Hamilton on his last year. They would have to get someone that can take over Hamiltons number one position in 2019 (not only as a driver, but also as marketing). I would imagine they are looking at drivers like Verstappen and Ricciardo for the long term.

Emmcee

Ferrari make bid for Bottas

http://www.gptoday.com/full_story/view/ ... _Williams/

Well this is intresting, what you guys make of this?
Real eyes realise real lies - Tupac Shakur.

George-Jung

Re: Ferrari make bid for Bottas

Well, to be honest.. the first thing that comes up is..: http://www.f1technical.net/forum/viewto ... =1&t=22775