Silly season 2016

Post here all non technical related topics about Formula One. This includes race results, discussions, testing analysis etc. TV coverage and other personal questions should be in Off topic chat.
djos

Re: Silly season 2016

ESPImperium wrote:I have doubts over Bottas, is he a potential WDC? Potential being the word here. Id say yes, however, the thing i am getting from him is that he will be another driver with unfulfilled potential. Is he beating Massa definitively? The answer is no, in 2014 he beat Massa, but Massa had more blue ribband performances, he could have won two GPs (Canada/Abu Dhabi) if for the greater good with a pit stop in Canada that took a second too long he got stuck behind traffic, and with traffic again in the latter stages against a ailing Hamilton he would have won both. Is he pasting Massa against the wall? No.
I'd have to agree, he's good but imo hasn't had any really spectacular drives ... I'd be happy for him to get a better drive but he'd have to really step up or just become another Perez; all washed up with a damaged reputation.
"In downforce we trust"

Glyn

djos wrote:
ESPImperium wrote:I have doubts over Bottas, is he a potential WDC? Potential being the word here. Id say yes, however, the thing i am getting from him is that he will be another driver with unfulfilled potential. Is he beating Massa definitively? The answer is no, in 2014 he beat Massa, but Massa had more blue ribband performances, he could have won two GPs (Canada/Abu Dhabi) if for the greater good with a pit stop in Canada that took a second too long he got stuck behind traffic, and with traffic again in the latter stages against a ailing Hamilton he would have won both. Is he pasting Massa against the wall? No.
I'd have to agree, he's good but imo hasn't had any really spectacular drives ... I'd be happy for him to get a better drive but he'd have to really step up or just become another Perez; all washed up with a damaged reputation.
He hasn't had one single memorable race. In 2 years.

scuderiafan

djos wrote:
Yeesh, that's a pretty harsh assessment of Perez don't you think?
"You're so angry that you throw your gloves down, and the worst part is; you have to pick them up again." - Steve Matchett

Patiently waiting...

charly0418

Renault is interested in Perez according to Autosport, we shall see

Sevach

charly0418 wrote:Renault is interested in Perez according to Autosport, we shall see
Well, brings some money and a considerable jump in quality from Maldo.

djos

scuderiafan wrote:
djos wrote:
Yeesh, that's a pretty harsh assessment of Perez don't you think?
He massively under performed at McClaren and got sent back to the mid field as as a result.
"In downforce we trust"

SectorOne

I disagree, he wasnt exactly destroyed by Button at Mclaren.
Showed superior tire management as well and has had podiums with Sauber and Force India.
"If the only thing keeping a person decent is the expectation of divine reward, then brother that person is a piece of sh*t"

AnthonyG

It's hard to back this up, but I always feel Perrez's skill in tire mgmt is good for a midfield team, but not ennough to be a winner with a top team.
Thank you really doesn't really describe enough what I feel. - Vettel

iotar__

SectorOne wrote:I disagree, he wasnt exactly destroyed by Button at Mclaren.
Showed superior tire management as well and has had podiums with Sauber and Force India.
You might as well say that Ricciardo is destroyed by Kvyat and Vettel was considerably worse destroyed by Ricciardo. It was his first (up and down) season at the big team, in a bad car and with similar highlight pace overall. I remember Bahrain and Button's complaints after getting overtaken, Button scoring more points but not consistent performance difference like in Magnussen's 2nd half of the season

Team was in a transitional phase with Dennis taking over and firing Whitmarsh along with replacing Perez with his driver in the least elegant way possible: by sending leaks to Sky, BBC and AS during USA GP claiming that Magnussen is better at a simulated '14 F1 =P~ . The important part was that one driver was getting better and one was on the decline as highlights from the following '14 showed: Austria, Bahrain, Canada and in a symbolic way - Monza.

Edit: Perez's weak side in not elite consistent qualifying speed. He can have highlight like Monaco or Spa but not 10-15 races like that. As for McLaren destroying his reputation: his second half of '12 season was ten times worse than '13 but since he was going to McLaren it was ignored.

dren

AnthonyG wrote:It's hard to back this up, but I always feel Perrez's skill in tire mgmt is good for a midfield team, but not ennough to be a winner with a top team.
I think it shows more with a midfield team because they are often forced into risking different strategies to gain a competitive edge.
Honda!

iotar__

dren wrote:
AnthonyG wrote:It's hard to back this up, but I always feel Perrez's skill in tire mgmt is good for a midfield team, but not ennough to be a winner with a top team.
I think it shows more with a midfield team because they are often forced into risking different strategies to gain a competitive edge.
What? That's completely wrong:
- Tell that to Hamilton when he could not manage his tyres in Abu Dhabi or India 2012.
- Tell that to Alonso when he was winning races because of that and built a championship challenge in 2012
- Tell that to Vettel or Webber in 2011
- Tell that to Raikkonen or Grosjean in India 2013, that was a podium

How can you turn Perez's genuine skill and competitive advantage into midfield only worthy gimmick? This is just mind-boggling.

ESPImperium

If Perez moves to Renault and takes his Millions to Renault i think he would push Grosjean. Personally, i think that would be a brilliant pairing and arguable quality. However, if Hulkenberg stays at Force India, I'm sure the €55m that Maldonado would be tempting, but if Wehrlien was to come to Force India he would be a driver capable of doing what was needed and could come with free engines/gearboxes that would mean more to the team than €55m plus repair bills.

I have a feeling that Maldonado would then try everywhere, like Williams? - Burnt Bridges, Sauber? - A second Van Der grade situation? it would only leave him with a Manor-Honda drive, and from what I'm led to believe thats got a Vandoorne seat there with Will Stevens in for a second season with Manor as the continuity driver.

I now think Haas will have Guiteriez and Vergne in their cars with Rossi and Andretti as Test/Reserve and Development drivers, and a possible link in with Danica as well somewhere in a role like Susie Wolff and not a 'Lets look at Carmen Jorda as the race is boring at this point' role. Haas will be well funded enough so as to avoid taking a Maldonado drive.

I think this is the start of the end for Maldonado as Renault are going to get €20m from Total as they won't need to sponsor Red Bull. Also Renault, from what i am led to believe will adopt Charles Pic as their Reserve driver as that was part of the solution for the impounding solution.

PlatinumZealot

Ooh!! You better believe maldonado will be at lotus next year!

One... Renault cannot take over until 2017 because of contracts detailing works status with redbull.

Two... There is simply too little time and money available to integrate renault into enstone in just three mo
Three months' time.

Maldonado's millions are always a nice thing to have!
🖐️✌️☝️👀👌✍️🐎🏆🙏

Sawtooth-spike

Dont disagree completely. But there are ways a means around these things. If Redbull want to cut Renault loose, then I am sure the "works team" factor can be worked out as part of the deal. Also given the Lead time for making changes to the car etc. It would make sense to take over this year. Use next year as a development year and then roll out a proper competitor for the new rules in 2017.

I still think the sticking point is Engines, Does Mr Wolfe want to give redbull there engines? If they do, Redbull could be faster? (possibly), if they are not able to beat them (Merc), given there track record would call foul and say they are not getting the same treatment.

If Redbull don't get Merc engines, Where else do they turn? Honda (Mclaren Veto) that just leaves Ferrari.
I believe in the chain of command, Its the chain I use to beat you till you do what i want!!!

ChrisF1

Hulkenberg confirmed at Force India with a new 2 year deal.

Said all along he wouldn't go to Haas.