Silly season 2016

Post here all non technical related topics about Formula One. This includes race results, discussions, testing analysis etc. TV coverage and other personal questions should be in Off topic chat.
mikeerfol

Re: Silly season 2016

ME4ME wrote:I think it's rather Romain who's simply tired of playing 2nd fiddle to Maldonado and sit out FP1 more often then not. Also he might be thinking ahead and make himself more attractive to Ferrari, but surely he'll be aware he is risking his F1 career as well.
I'm sure he'd like to stay away from Renault as well! :P

scuderiafan

ESPImperium wrote:Ill reiterate that i do think that Toro Rosso will end up with a Honda power plant next year as Red Bull seems determined to cut all ties to Renault, even to its sister team. However the Toro Rosso engine will be announced after Austin i think when they evaluate the Renault upgrades on at least one car. I have heard that Toro Rosso have plans for both Renault and Honda power unit architecture to go to their chassis builders. However time will be tight for them as the lead time for each chassis is about 14 to 16 weeks. That will only leave the team 4 weeks lee-way if there is crash test issues to get it ready for the first test, unless they plan to miss it.
Let's hope that the Honda is sorted out by then. I would hate to see Sainz and Verstappen's development as drivers be stunted by an underperforming power unit.
"You're so angry that you throw your gloves down, and the worst part is; you have to pick them up again." - Steve Matchett

Patiently waiting...

PlatinumZealot

In hopes of being selected as a works team, Torro Rosso has been kissing Renault's toes over the past few months so I half expect them to keep their Renault engines despite anything that RedBull may do.
🖐️✌️☝️👀👌✍️🐎🏆🙏

FW17

Jonnycraig
Jonnycraig

Jenson stays for 2016.

With Wehrlein & Haryanto likely at Manor, it looks like a year on the sidelines for Vandoorne.

KeiKo403
KeiKo403

So the only seats yet to be confirmed are:
1 @ Lotus Renault
1 @ Haas (although between JEV & GUT)
2 @ Manor

What does everyone think about Merc having Manor as their stooge Team live Hass & Ferrari. Firstly could Manor afford to buy all of the bits from Merc like Haas has from Ferrari?

ScottB
ScottB

KeiKo403 wrote:So the only seats yet to be confirmed are:
1 @ Lotus Renault
2 @ Manor

What does everyone think about Merc having Manor as their stooge Team live Hass & Ferrari. Firstly could Manor afford to buy all of the bits from Merc like Haas has from Ferrari?
Depends on how much Merc charge!

Manor do have a pretty wealthy investor though, they aren't penniless.

wickedz50
wickedz50

Manor racing 2016 on Merc engines does bring more headache to me. Is Mr Arai feeling nervous or is he going to work his team 24/7 all winter to deliver a monster in 2016? Mr Dennis please wake up.

iotar__

ScottB wrote:
KeiKo403 wrote:So the only seats yet to be confirmed are:
1 @ Lotus Renault
2 @ Manor

Depends on how much Merc charge!
Manor do have a pretty wealthy investor though, they aren't penniless.
How will they break even with the last place every season, do you know how much debt Marussia accumulated over 3-4 seasons?
Manor will get some parts from Williams as a partial compensation for B-spec engines, Williams is for Mercedes B1 team and Manor B2. You can see why it was such a success story, doubling the data and wind aero/tunnel work for Merc, a bit more debt paid to Ferrari and McL with other teams' Ecclestone's money.

I thought they'd keep Button because lack of decision is the easiest decision and they have bigger problems but 18 million ?? More money than sense, that's your 'top" team's logic. he's solid enough and they have Alonso but this amount is crazy.

Button hasn't had a 18- million-a-season-driver race since forever and probably no more than 5 the whole career. I don't want to ever hear again him complaining about anything :wink: , be silent and count your money mate. Set up problems? Not for 18 million, no. One more reason not to watch F1.

sAx
sAx

Would be entertaining, but perhaps the silliest? http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/p0341r4k
Integrity, Trust, Respect.

Follow me: http://twitter.com/#!/sAx247

Jolle
Jolle

sAx wrote:Would be entertaining, but perhaps the silliest? http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/p0341r4k
He could do a FP1 for Merc at the end of the year when the pressure is off if Ham and Merc clinched both titles... Would be a huge marketing stunt.

i70q7m7ghw
i70q7m7ghw

Jolle wrote:
sAx wrote:Would be entertaining, but perhaps the silliest? http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/p0341r4k
He could do a FP1 for Merc at the end of the year when the pressure is off if Ham and Merc clinched both titles... Would be a huge marketing stunt.
I don't think he would fit in the car... :lol:

Henne

Jonnycraig wrote:Jenson stays for 2016.

With Wehrlein & Haryanto likely at Manor, it looks like a year on the sidelines for Vandoorne.
I think you might be right. The only option he still has according to me is Renault.

And again, that would not be the best move in his career. Unless it's a one year deal and he can get back into the McLaren seat when Button retires after 2016...

Jolle
Jolle

Diesel wrote:
Jolle wrote:
I don't think he would fit in the car... :lol:
Well, at least he can blame the car (again) :P

ChrisF1
ChrisF1

The rumour that came from the Dutch media that Kvyat was off to Renault was a strange one. Then you think, maybe Red Bull are backing Max Verstappen over Kvyat, and they're concerned that Max will go to Ferrari in 2017 if the engine situation doesn't resolve itself favourably.

I did suggest quite a while back that perhaps Ferrari were being so receptive to Red Bull's engine request because they're trying to use it as leverage to steal Verstappen away.

It's an intriguing little merry go round, and pretty much the only thing we can grasp hold of for some driver changes.