Silly season 2016

Post here all non technical related topics about Formula One. This includes race results, discussions, testing analysis etc. TV coverage and other personal questions should be in Off topic chat.
Emmcee

Re: Silly season 2016

More and more stories coming out about ricciardo not ruling out leaving Redbull. Of that's true he would surly be the leading candidate.
Real eyes realise real lies - Tupac Shakur.

jato
jato

Emmcee wrote:More and more stories coming out about ricciardo not ruling out leaving Redbull. Of that's true he would surly be the leading candidate.
I can't see this happening though, RBR as well as DR have basically said it's a watertight contract and all the options are on RBR's side. Also, if Ferrari want Ricciardo they would have to talk to the team about releasing Ricciardo from his contract rather than the driver.

He may be the leading candidate but out of the main drivers considered for the Ferrari, his contractual situation is hardest to get out of IMO. If Ricciardo cannot drive for Ferrari, I'd like to see Hulk given a chance. I don't think Bottas has done enough to warrant the drive over Hulk or Ricciardo.

PlatinumZealot

Manoah2u wrote:
adrianjordan wrote:
Manoah2u wrote:
2017: Exit Button, Raikkonen & Alonso. I can see Massa doing a barrichello-career, unfortunately.

So in 2017 itll be Hamilton & Massa being the oldest/most experienced f1 guys on the grid, with Lewis having a couple of years to go still.
What about Rosberg? He was in the sport before Hamilton...
young enough to still have quite a couple of years to go. i just mentioned the ones approaching or being in an age that in modern F1 generally the 'natural' end of things. Schumacher in modern F1 being the 'much' oldest is rather an exception than rule. And look what happened there.
LAst guys to retire were in the 36 and up bracket. Guys like Webber, Barichello, Schumacher etc..
There is a younger retirement age reserved for the journeymen like Heidfeld at 34, Fisichella...
A lot of these guys were still sharp too. Massa is still sharp surprisingly giving Bottas a good fight.
🖐️✌️☝️👀👌✍️🐎🏆🙏

GPR-A duplicate2

Manoah2u wrote:
adrianjordan wrote:
Manoah2u wrote:
2017: Exit Button, Raikkonen & Alonso. I can see Massa doing a barrichello-career, unfortunately.

So in 2017 itll be Hamilton & Massa being the oldest/most experienced f1 guys on the grid, with Lewis having a couple of years to go still.
What about Rosberg? He was in the sport before Hamilton...
young enough to still have quite a couple of years to go. i just mentioned the ones approaching or being in an age that in modern F1 generally the 'natural' end of things. Schumacher in modern F1 being the 'much' oldest is rather an exception than rule. And look what happened there.
A pole position in 2012 Monaco GP, a real driver's circuit. On par in qualifying with a really fast team mate in qualifying in 2012. Yeah, a lot of nice things did happened and could have been nicer if Mercs knew how to build a fast car in his time.

Emmcee

jato wrote:
Emmcee wrote:More and more stories coming out about ricciardo not ruling out leaving Redbull. Of that's true he would surly be the leading candidate.
I can't see this happening though, RBR as well as DR have basically said it's a watertight contract and all the options are on RBR's side. Also, if Ferrari want Ricciardo they would have to talk to the team about releasing Ricciardo from his contract rather than the driver.

He may be the leading candidate but out of the main drivers considered for the Ferrari, his contractual situation is hardest to get out of IMO. If Ricciardo cannot drive for Ferrari, I'd like to see Hulk given a chance. I don't think Bottas has done enough to warrant the drive over Hulk or Ricciardo.
I don't think it will be that hard IMO, if Redbull didnt have Verstappen or sainz who are performing quite well, then yeah I would agree but they have some pretty decent talent to replace him with. Besides ricciardo having Italian heritage would have to be good for marketing side of things, reguardless if Ferrari arnt to intrested in Italian drivers.

ChrisDanger
ChrisDanger

Emmcee wrote:Just read a story that said Vettel wants Ferrari to maintain kimi next season. Typical, he wants a teammate he knows he can beat.
Wow. You don't think maybe it's because he likes the guy and they work well together? :roll:

iotar__

He would not be, neither the best nor most likely candidate. Why non Kvyat? At least he can start in the right direction.
They can all say they're "not ruling it out" and anyone who has a half decent race and good media connection can be a candidate for a second (not Perez after Monaco though or Grosjean - no connections or rather negative ones). Ricciardo didn't even have a great race, just talking is enough in today's F1.

Marchionne is making this decision and he paid Vettel crazy money and kept Raikkonen, draw your own conclusion.

Jolle
Jolle

iotar__ wrote:
He would not be, neither the best nor most likely candidate. Why non Kvyat? At least he can start in the right direction.
They can all say they're "not ruling it out" and anyone who has a half decent race and good media connection can be a candidate for a second (not Perez after Monaco though or Grosjean - no connections or rather negative ones). Ricciardo didn't even have a great race, just talking is enough in today's F1.

Marchionne is making this decision and he paid Vettel crazy money and kept Raikkonen, draw your own conclusion.
I imagine Ricciardo is on the Wolf/Lauda shortlist to replace Rosberg in 2018 and be taking over from Hamilton as top driver for 2019. I could see Ricciardo signing with Williams for two years and then go to Mercedes (with everything signed up in advanced). With he long term contracts these days, teams will do long term planning aswel.

If Ricciardo leaves RedBull I could also see them selling off ToroRosso to Renault/Audi or who ever. There is no point in having two rookie teams. With the car not performing, their talent walks away....

Emmcee

ChrisDanger wrote:
Emmcee wrote:Just read a story that said Vettel wants Ferrari to maintain kimi next season. Typical, he wants a teammate he knows he can beat.
Wow. You don't think maybe it's because he likes the guy and they work well together? :roll:
There is "no friends in f1" Vettel said that himself. In all seriousness, it would have been said from a competitor point of view and left open to interpretation. Vettel has shown for years that he only cares for himself, why would that change now?

Emmcee

iotar__ wrote:

Kvyat hasn't won 3 Grand Prix in an out of date car compared to a 4x world champion teammate has he?

Jonnycraig
Jonnycraig

Horner has already said that Ricciardo will be at RB for at least the next 3 seasons. He's locked in and they aren't letting him go anywhere.

They made the mistake of losing Vettel due to a non-performance clause, so they've swiftly erased those for the future.
Emmcee wrote:I don't think it will be that hard IMO, if Redbull didnt have Verstappen or sainz who are performing quite well, then yeah I would agree but they have some pretty decent talent to replace him with. Besides ricciardo having Italian heritage would have to be good for marketing side of things, reguardless if Ferrari arnt to intrested in Italian drivers.
Sainz will never drive for RB, regardless of him continuing to beat MV. Verstappen will be promoted to the RB seat alongside Ricciardo either this winter or next. Sainz is driving to try and get another good seat after Toro Rosso. Luckily he brings a lot of funding.

Emmcee

Jonnycraig wrote:
Horner has already said that Ricciardo will be at RB for at least the next 3 seasons. He's locked in and they aren't letting him go anywhere.

They made the mistake of losing Vettel due to a non-performance clause, so they've swiftly erased those for the future.
Emmcee wrote:I don't think it will be that hard IMO, if Redbull didnt have Verstappen or sainz who are performing quite well, then yeah I would agree but they have some pretty decent talent to replace him with. Besides ricciardo having Italian heritage would have to be good for marketing side of things, reguardless if Ferrari arnt to intrested in Italian drivers.
Sainz will never drive for RB, regardless of him continuing to beat MV. Verstappen will be promoted to the RB seat alongside Ricciardo either this winter or next. Sainz is driving to try and get another good seat after Toro Rosso. Luckily he brings a lot of funding.
That's probably a fair assumption, sounds about right. You saying sainz fits the mould of alguersuari and Buemi for example?

slimfitcasual

ChrisDanger wrote:
Vettel or any drive will of course be "friends" with a teammate he's handedly crushing. He wants Raikkonen to stick around as it's a relationship that benefits him. Much like Alonso with Massa at Ferrari.
Per ardua ad astra

Emmcee

slimfitcasual wrote:
ChrisDanger wrote:
Vettel or any drive will of course be "friends" with a teammate he's handedly crushing. He wants Raikkonen to stick around as it's a relationship that benefits him. Much like Alonso with Massa at Ferrari.
Yeah exactly right. With kimi he has a very experienced teammate who knows how to handle the team and development of the car and also knows he can beat him, it's a win win situation for him. They very well might be good friends but at the end of the day any driver would like a teammate he hates and can beat compared to a friend he can't and vice versa.

ME4ME

Two very similair articles on Autosport and Motorsport.com about Stoffel Vandoorne:

http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/119897

http://www.motorsport.com/f1/news/vando ... ot-a-given

It makes me worry a bit. Obviously there is still time till the end of the season. But where would he go?
Personally I think he deserves better than Manor F1. I certainly hope he doesn't get left out like Frijns and Da Costa.

Almost makes me hope Ferrari replaces Raikkonen so a seat gets available at either Williams or Force India.