Austria 2015 season test (23.06-25.06)

Post here all non technical related topics about Formula One. This includes race results, discussions, testing analysis etc. TV coverage and other personal questions should be in Off topic chat.
SilverArrow10

Re: Austria 2015 season test (23.06-25.06)

Wehrlein was always going to test one of the days, Rosberg replaced Hamilton.
"Leave it to Lewis Hamilton to ruin Redbull's day" - Martin Brundle

"Ok Lewis, Its Hammertime!!" - Peter Bonnington

"Fresh tires, 15 laps. What do you think Lewis Hamilton is going to do?" - Martin Brundle

Nathanael F1

From F1.com

Favorite Team: Scuderia Ferrari
Favorite Driver: Nico Hülkenberg

iHpled

MercedesAMGSpy wrote:
J0rd4n wrote:
Vasconia wrote:Well, at least the Mclaren is running without problems. :mrgreen:

I dont understand why Hamilton has choosed again not take part.
Think he finds the testing quite a chore. Overall it shouldn't affect anything, I mean Rosberg managed a lot more mileage in pre-season testing last year, but Hamilton still emerged champion. As long as he negotiates to go back to that old clutch pedal then he's ready for Silverstone.
Indeed, Hamilton doesn't like testing and has no problem with it to share his car with Wehrlein.
From what I understand of Kim Kardashians latest instagram photo is that Lewis is spending his time in Cannes. He is been seen a lot with the Jenners and Kardashians lately lol :? New girlfriend?

Don't ask why I follow KimKs instagram... :lol:

ChrisF1

Considering Kim K is married to Kanye West I doubt she is Lewis' new girlfriend. Caitlyn Jenner maybe?

majki2111

Nobody following day 2??

Godius

The only thing I'm interested at is VJM08b's low-fuel run pace at the end of the day. Qualifying pace was the biggest weakness of the previous Force India's. If that's o.k. then I'm sure this VJM08b can give the Williams and the Lotus a proper challenge for the rest of the season.

Kiril Varbanov

majki2111 wrote:Nobody following day 2??
http://www.motorsport.com/live-text/red ... -1-testing

Andres125sx

Thanks Kiril

Final times and lapcount:

1) Rosberg 1m09.113s - 117 laps
2) Gutierrez 1m09.931s - 110 laps
3) Bottas 1m10.029s - 79 laps
4) Wittmann 1m10.163s - 158 laps
5) Wehrlein 1m10.253s - 132 laps
6) Palmer 1m10.373s - 110 laps
7) Alonso 1m10.718s - 104 laps
8/ Ricciardo 1m10.757s - 116 laps
9) Nasr 1m10.922s - 138 laps

McLaren did 104 laps without incidents :!: :mrgreen:

I guess they detuned the PU to ensure they can test the new aero parts, but the laptimes have been ok...

dero

majki2111 wrote:Nobody following day 2??
Just came home from the "red bull ring".

I attended the public pitlane walk and managed to take some photos.

I'm not sure if i can link to an my Amazon Cloud Drive Folder but i'll try it:

https://www.amazon.de/clouddrive/share/ ... link_email

Right click on image and view seperately for high res.
I'll fix this post tomorrow.

cheers Stefan
Last edited by dero on 24 Jun 2015, 22:50, edited 2 times in total.

Italiano

The McHonda made so many funny noises and most of them terrifying to behold. Only had to hear the eninge to know that Alonso is out, whilst having a quick bathroom break. Even listening to it idle in the pitlane walk was intense. Just for the sake of trying to figure out whether it's breaking down or being normal.

I'll write a short thing tomorrow on what I observed in the first corner, too tired right now.
#Forza Michael #Forza Jules

dero

my edited and updated pictures

https://www.amazon.de/clouddrive/share/ ... link_email

cheers Stefan

Vasconia

iHpled wrote: From what I understand of Kim Kardashians latest instagram photo is that Lewis is spending his time in Cannes. He is been seen a lot with the Jenners and Kardashians lately lol :? New girlfriend?

Don't ask why I follow KimKs instagram... :lol:
I DO ask. :mrgreen:

More than 104 trouble free for Alonso in the second!. That great news for Mclaren, I am sure that they have collected a lot of useful date for the next races.

dero

Italiano wrote:The McHonda made so many funny noises and most of them terrifying to behold. Only had to hear the eninge to know that Alonso is out, whilst having a quick bathroom break. Even listening to it idle in the pitlane walk was intense. Just for the sake of trying to figure out whether it's breaking down or being normal.

I'll write a short thing tomorrow on what I observed in the first corner, too tired right now.
I was also stunned by the sounds this thing produced. Judging from the sound i would not have guessed that the lap times where that good....

Looking forward to reading your views of the test.

cheers Stefan

Italiano

Not really that much of an expert here, but here goes. This is what saw and heard at the first corner...not that I rememberd every detail whilst being so excited to attend al live F1 event for the first time. :lol:

Mercedes: Class act, I have to admit. Mid corner and exit stability was just perfect. Not even the sausage kerb at the exit disturbed the chassis as it simply absorbed any impact and carried on powering along the hill. Exit speed also very impressive as the car disappeared.

Ferrari: In the hands of Gutierrez, I'd say the car was not used to it's full potential. No sudden moves mid corner and almost Mercedes like chassis behaviour on the sausage kerb. I must also add that it actually does sound every so slightly different to Merc. It's something that you pick up after paying attention to them for longer. On first sight, can't separate them sound wise.

Williams: Composed and nice, but as Bottas once powered behind Nico up to turn one, both had zero drama but somehow Nico pulled away for a meter or two easily. Can't say why, not gonna play a smartass.

Lotus: Seemed to me they were mostly on long runs and evaluating race pace. Quite some corrective action at the exit, but that might also be a car more sensitive to the lower temps.

Red Bull: This one was interesting. A lot of sounds that reminded me of the EBD effect in 2012. Off throttle and downshifting "farts". Ricciardo was also the only one that attacked turn one very differently. Whilst everyone was going through half throttle or off throttle, young Ric stamped on the gas 100% very much mid corner and took every last centimeter of the corner exit. And the car enabled him to do it. My guess is that part of that is his driving style and in part Renaults slightly lower power, enabling him to floor it without much consequences.

Toro Rosso: Very similar to RBR, but quite a lot of correcting at the exit without Ricciardos tactic of stamping the throttle early. A different test programme maybe or just a rough diamond of a chassis.

Sauber: Only thing I could gather is that the customer Ferrari engine is not factory team spec. A bhp or two down.

Force India: They were evaluating so many combinatons of nose, aero equipment that I really don't know how to judge the car. Seemed to put it's power down very nicely though.

Mclaren: Oh my...every outlap it made some new noises and everytime they were nasty. Farting, cracking, rumbling, you name it. At one point Alonso was in the groove and it handled pretty nicely. A clear demonstration of power was seen when Nico was ahead before the first corner and then just left poor Alonso for dead at the exit.

All in all I'd say that Force India will progress with these parts and testing, as should RBR. Mercedes are out there doing their thing, bless them. Ferrari was secretive as f---, wouldn't even open the garage during the pitwalk, Williams is right with them IMO, Toro Rosso and Sauber kinda in their own world and Mclaren...well, they're trying. That's the nicest thing I can say.

Also...the sound? I expected much less and I am not that disappointed. It struck me that they produce a nice tone from the V6 and all those turbo sounds do make for a bit of spectacle. But on the other hand, I listened to hillclimb prototypes and F3 cars a couple of days ago at a hillclimb event. As a marshall, I stood a couple of meters away from them. Those screamed for a mile away and shook my internal organs to hell. The F1 V6 hybrid? Went off the main grandstand and stood behind it? More or less quiet. Stood in front of Merc garage and listened to revving? No gut wrenching to speak of. For F1 standards, very little punch in the face volume or menace. Take what you will from that...

Sorry for the long amateur post, but this is what I took from all of this. Great experience though, especially for such a low price. ;)
#Forza Michael #Forza Jules