F1T regulations proposal

Post here all non technical related topics about Formula One. This includes race results, discussions, testing analysis etc. TV coverage and other personal questions should be in Off topic chat.
Moxie

Re: F1T regulations proposal

I've said it before and I'll say it again. This time I'll give the short version, you can read my previous posts on the subject for more detail.

The way to limit budgets is not through unenforceable caps. Limit the budget by limiting the incentive, (reducing the prize money) for the rich teams to spend $400 million. Redistribute the prize money so that the poor teams can afford to spend more.

Edit:

I will add a less controversial twist on one of my previous ideas. Engine manufacturers should be required to produce engines for a price which is significantly less than the current cost. The manufacturers should be required to sell any teams interested in purchasing their engines, without requiring multi-year agreements.

mertol

So I wanna join F1 and be competitive too. Can we have the cap at 10k per year? Why are small teams entitled to being competitive? If they are good eventually they will become a big team.

Moxie

mertol wrote:So I wanna join F1 and be competitive too. Can we have the cap at 10k per year? Why are small teams entitled to being competitive? If they are good eventually they will become a big team.
Because most fans want to see a competition.

If I want to watch cars drive in single file, and have a pretty good idea which car will finish first, I can go to the local cemetery and watch a funeral procession.

mertol

Guess what - there will still be cars much faster than everyone else even with equal budgets. Also budgets have no correlation with overtaking so still single file.

graham.reeds

mertol wrote:Guess what - there will still be cars much faster than everyone else even with equal budgets. Also budgets have no correlation with overtaking so still single file.
But budgets do have correlation to size of grids. Would you like to see Mercedes 1st, 2nd, and 3rd every weekend and Ferrari 4th, 5th and 6th?

I do think my 2 tier system with a fixed price for engines is the right way.

mertol

Question is would that be F1 that you created? Seems like there are plenty of such series already. There are other, better ways of having bigger grids than budget caps.

matt21

Why don´t we then put our ideas to paper as regulations and see where we get to?

To be honest, that is what this thread was planned for. :D

Moxie

mertol wrote:Guess what - there will still be cars much faster than everyone else even with equal budgets. Also budgets have no correlation with overtaking so still single file.
I am sure matt21 will correct me if I am wrong, but it seems his rules proposal goes a long way to promote overtaking. By requiring the car to be flat bottomed, and reducing the width of the body between the tires to 1 meter, the amount of downforce will be significantly reduced.

As drivers are once again forced to contend with cars that are not on rails, they will make more mistakes, most will be subtle, but we'll open the door for the competitor none-the-less.

Opportunities for alternate lines may open up as a result of car balance, mechanical grip characteristics and driving style.

Of course there will always be cars faster than everybody else, but it doesn't always have to be the same few cars. As previously pointed out. Manor isn't going to overcome its 7 to 10 fold budget disadvantage by being clever. If like to see a financial structure that actually allow a clever midling team to out engineer the front runners and win a few races.